Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > ATA behind Vigor router - incoming fine, no outgoing calls

ATA behind Vigor router - incoming fine, no outgoing calls

Lee

Hi

My friends have a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA behind their Vigor [non-voip model]
internet router.

We think we have set up port forwarding fine. The ATA registers and accepts
incoming calls fine [rings, two-way conversation] but no outgoing dialling
is possible. There is a short [5 sec?] dial tone but nothing happens when
dialled. They are using Voipfone, as am I, and they cannot even call me
within the voipfone network.

I see this condition asked about a couple of times on the Draytek forum but
not answered.

What have we missed? Any ideas of things to look at?

Cheers

Jon

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> Hi
>
> My friends have a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA behind their Vigor [non-voip model]
> internet router.
>
> We think we have set up port forwarding fine. The ATA registers and accepts
> incoming calls fine [rings, two-way conversation] but no outgoing dialling
> is possible. There is a short [5 sec?] dial tone but nothing happens when
> dialled. They are using Voipfone, as am I, and they cannot even call me
> within the voipfone network.
>
> I see this condition asked about a couple of times on the Draytek forum but
> not answered.
>
> What have we missed? Any ideas of things to look at?

Put the ATA in the DMZ?
--
Regards
Jon

TheDragon

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
>> Hi
>>
>> My friends have a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA behind their Vigor [non-voip model]
>> internet router.
>>
>> We think we have set up port forwarding fine. The ATA registers and
>> accepts
>> incoming calls fine [rings, two-way conversation] but no outgoing
>> dialling
>> is possible. There is a short [5 sec?] dial tone but nothing happens when
>> dialled. They are using Voipfone, as am I, and they cannot even call me
>> within the voipfone network.
>>
>> I see this condition asked about a couple of times on the Draytek forum
>> but
>> not answered.
>>
>> What have we missed? Any ideas of things to look at?

> Put the ATA in the DMZ?
> --
> Regards
> Jon

No never. too dangerous. find all used ports and do it properly

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> No never. too dangerous.

Why? What's going to happen to it? My ATA is the DMZ.
--
Regards
Jon

TheDragon

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
>> No never. too dangerous.

> Why? What's going to happen to it? My ATA is the DMZ.
> --
> Regards
> Jon

There are numerous attacks that can be carried out on ATA devices. Some will
resist, some not. The Cisco ATA186 has a known flaw in older software. I am
maybe being to security conscious, but I refuse to open ports that don't
need opening. Placing a device in the DMZ is the ultimate sin, as there is
nothing between the big bad world and the device.

Thomas Sandford

"TheDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
>>> No never. too dangerous.

>> Why? What's going to happen to it? My ATA is the DMZ.
>> --
>> Regards
>> Jon

> There are numerous attacks that can be carried out on ATA devices. Some
> will resist, some not. The Cisco ATA186 has a known flaw in older
> software. I am maybe being to security conscious, but I refuse to open
> ports that don't need opening. Placing a device in the DMZ is the ultimate
> sin, as there is nothing between the big bad world and the device.

You appear to have a different definition of the DMZ from that I (and I
suspect Jon) use.

A DMZ _is_ behind a firewall, which has the appropriate holes punched
through for (intended) communication with the devices living within it.

For example, my ATA lives in a DMZ and the following access to that IP is
allowed by the firewall:

UDP to/from any local port from anywhere [actually broader than required but
liveable with for me].
TCP to/from local port 5060 from anywhere [allows TCP SIP, though I've never
actually seen it].
TCP to/from local port 80 from internal network only [to allow me to
configure the device].

Attacks on the ATA can therefore only be made from
1) a UDP vector.
2) My internal network.
3) within the DMZ itself.

In writing this post I decided that there was a small posibility of a SNMP
attack vector so I've just closed those ports...

--
Thomas Sandford

Lee

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> My friends have a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA behind their Vigor [non-voip model]
> internet router.
>
> We think we have set up port forwarding fine. The ATA registers and
> accepts incoming calls fine [rings, two-way conversation] but no outgoing
> dialling is possible. There is a short [5 sec?] dial tone but nothing
> happens when dialled. They are using Voipfone, as am I, and they cannot
> even call me within the voipfone network.
>
> I see this condition asked about a couple of times on the Draytek forum
> but not answered.
>
> What have we missed? Any ideas of things to look at?
>
> Cheers

For the benefit of Googlers who come across this thread - the answer was
here:

Lee

"TheDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My friends have a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA behind their Vigor [non-voip
>>> model]
>>> internet router.
>>>
>>> We think we have set up port forwarding fine. The ATA registers and
>>> accepts
>>> incoming calls fine [rings, two-way conversation] but no outgoing
>>> dialling
>>> is possible. There is a short [5 sec?] dial tone but nothing happens
>>> when
>>> dialled. They are using Voipfone, as am I, and they cannot even call me
>>> within the voipfone network.
>>>
>>> I see this condition asked about a couple of times on the Draytek forum
>>> but
>>> not answered.
>>>
>>> What have we missed? Any ideas of things to look at?

>> Put the ATA in the DMZ?
>> --
>> Regards
>> Jon

> No never. too dangerous. find all used ports and do it properly

Hello

I have tried for a couple of weekends now to get this working - opening a
variety of "Open Ports" on the Draytek. In a moment of frustration, I did
put the Sipura ATA into the DMZ as suggested above and the box *still*
cannot make outgoing calls. Even dialling the voipfone 155 "test" number
fails.

I should perhaps point out that there is no separate DMZ port on the
Draytek, I just used the "DMZ" config form within the router. I do not know
if this creates a "true" DMZ or simulates one...

The DTMF Tx Method setting is on "INFO" though we have tried "Auto" and
"Inband" too.

The box worked fine in my house when plugged into my network behind an IPCOP
firewall. The only difference is that my house has regular ADSL whereas my
friends are on Blueyonder. Does anyone know if there is perhaps a known
issue with BY and Voip?

I would welcome any other ideas the group may have.

Lee

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> My friends have a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA behind their Vigor [non-voip model]
>> internet router.
>>
>> We think we have set up port forwarding fine. The ATA registers and
>> accepts incoming calls fine [rings, two-way conversation] but no outgoing
>> dialling is possible. There is a short [5 sec?] dial tone but nothing
>> happens when dialled. They are using Voipfone, as am I, and they cannot
>> even call me within the voipfone network.
>>
>> I see this condition asked about a couple of times on the Draytek forum
>> but not answered.
>>
>> What have we missed? Any ideas of things to look at?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> For the benefit of Googlers who come across this thread - the answer was
> here:
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14318615

Actually this wasn't the solution. Sorry Googlers - this problem is still
wide open and all help appreciated.

alexd

Lee wrote:

> I have tried for a couple of weekends now to get this working - opening a
> variety of "Open Ports" on the Draytek. In a moment of frustration, I did
> put the Sipura ATA into the DMZ as suggested above and the box *still*
> cannot make outgoing calls. Even dialling the voipfone 155 "test" number
> fails.
>
> I should perhaps point out that there is no separate DMZ port on the
> Draytek, I just used the "DMZ" config form within the router. I do not
> know if this creates a "true" DMZ or simulates one...

Well it was always worth a shot! Could be handy to put a PC with softphone
SIP client on in place of the ATA, and see if you can get any more verbose
error information.

> The DTMF Tx Method setting is on "INFO" though we have tried "Auto" and
> "Inband" too.

This shouldn't affect your ability to make calls, only the passing of DTMF
once a call is set up.

> The box worked fine in my house when plugged into my network behind an
> IPCOP firewall. The only difference is that my house has regular ADSL
> whereas my friends are on Blueyonder. Does anyone know if there is perhaps
> a known issue with BY and Voip?

I use Sipgate on a BY connection. To be honest, I rarely make phone calls
with it; I tried calling a company yesterday to pay a bill over the phone,
and it was rubbish. I made 5 attempts in 15 minutes, and the longest call
lasted 80 seconds, before the call dropped. In the end I gave up and used
my mobile. Later on, my girlfriend received a garbled call from a landline,
she tried to return the call and the audio dropped out after 30 seconds.
It's not a bandwidth issue, as I'm on 10mbit. Monitoring the connection
with IPTraf, and apart from the customary ARP traffic and port 25
connection attempts from all and sundry, it's just my traffic to/from
Sipgate.

To be honest I'm not that bothered at the moment as I still have the BT
landline, and contract mobile with all the free minutes I can eat. I guess
I'll look into it at some point.

> I would welcome any other ideas the group may have.

Let's get this clear - are you connecting with DSL or Cable? If cable, it
makes things simpler, as you'll be presented with an ethernet connection to
the net, so you can eliminate the router from the equation by connecting
the ATA straight to the Cable Modem. Rumours of Drayteks being **** with
VoIP abound, however I don't have one so I can't comment either way.

20:47:00 up 19 days, 1:05, 3 users, load average: 1.02, 1.07, 1.07
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK