Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Naive question about dialling codes on VOIP

Naive question about dialling codes on VOIP

usenet@isbd.co.uk

I have a Zyxel 2602HW ADSL router and have set it up to use
sipdiscount to see how I get on with VOIP.

It works OK but I need to dial a full international code to make a
call to UK numbers. On thinking about this it does seem reasonable as
the VOIP server has no idea where you're from and could itself be
anywhere. However dialling all those digits could rapidly become a
bit of a drag, so:-

Do all VOIP services require the full interntaional sequence to be
dialled?

Is there a way (maybe on paid for services) of getting the VOIP
server to accept UK numbers in the 'normal' format?

What do other people do to reduce the number of digits they dial?

--
Chris Green

Jono

|| I have a Zyxel 2602HW ADSL router and have set it up to use
|| sipdiscount to see how I get on with VOIP.
|| It works OK but I need to dial a full international code to make a
|| call to UK numbers. On thinking about this it does seem reasonable
|| as the VOIP server has no idea where you're from and could itself be
|| anywhere. However dialling all those digits could rapidly become a
|| bit of a drag, so:-
|| Do all VOIP services require the full interntaional sequence to be
|| dialled?

No - Sipgate & voip.co.uk, for example, you dial the full UK number 01XXX
XXXXXX or 02 for the smartypantses)

|| Is there a way (maybe on paid for services) of getting the VOIP
|| server to accept UK numbers in the 'normal' format?

Normal - do you mean 6 digit (or similar) local dialling & 11 digit national
dialling? I'm not aware of any, although there probably are some as it's not
difficult to implement.

|| What do other people do to reduce the number of digits they dial?

When just using an ATA, I set the dialplan to add my area code to any 6
digit number.

Now using Asterisk, the dial plan adds my area code to the beginning of 6
digit numbers for Sipgate, for Voipstunt it adds 00441274 to the front of 6
digit numbers. For 11 digit full UK numbers, asterisk's dialplan strips the
leading zero & adds 0044 to the front.

Either way, you need to investigate your device's Dialplan.

|| Chris Green

paul123

Jono wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> || It works OK but I need to dial a full international code to make a
> || call to UK numbers.
> || Do all VOIP services require the full interntaional sequence to be
> || dialled?
>
> No - Sipgate & voip.co.uk, for example, you dial the full UK number 01XXX
> XXXXXX or 02 for the smartypantses)

Voiptalk.org's another (full UK number)

> || What do other people do to reduce the number of digits they dial?
>
> When just using an ATA, I set the dialplan to add my area code to any 6
> digit number.
>
> Now using Asterisk, the dial plan adds my area code to the beginning of 6
> digit numbers for Sipgate, for Voipstunt it adds 00441274 to the front of 6
> digit numbers. For 11 digit full UK numbers, asterisk's dialplan strips the
> leading zero & adds 0044 to the front.

Taking this a step further, I have 5 numbers set up on asterisk where I
can speeddial by dialling only the last digit of the required number.
To dial 00441223123456, Asterix "prefixes" to 0044122312345 to the 6
that I dial. This can obviously only work for a few numbers that end in
different digits....

> Either way, you need to investigate your device's Dialplan.

echo that

Paul

usenet@isbd.co.uk

paul123 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Either way, you need to investigate your device's Dialplan.

> echo that

Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to get my mind round all this.

By 'Dialplan' do you just mean the speed-dialling capabilities and
such like?

--
Chris Green

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh (E-Mail Removed):
> paul123 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Either way, you need to investigate your device's Dialplan.

>> echo that
>>

> Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to get my mind round all this.
>
> By 'Dialplan' do you just mean the speed-dialling capabilities and
> such like?

This is my current dial plan, have not got around to adding to it yet.

(<0:0044>[1-8]xx.|<999:00441216874070>|<123:00442070431320>|<:00 44121>[2-8]xxxxxx|<##:00>xx.)

Jono

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
||| echo that
|| Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to get my mind round all this.
|| By 'Dialplan' do you just mean the speed-dialling capabilities and
|| such like?
|| --
|| Chris Green

No, see {{{{{Welcome}}}}}'s reply.

Dialplan basically tells your ata to dial either the numbers as you press
them on the phone, or add or replace numbers.

For instance, in the quoted example, "<0:0044>[1-8]xx." this part looks for
numbers beginning with a zero followed by 1 thru 8, followed by any number
of digits (the . means any length), it then deletes the 1st zero, then adds
0044, then dials the rest of the number.

As it's looking for numbers of any length, there will be a delay whilst the
ATA decides whether you're going to press any more keys or not.

It would probably dial quicker if it was <0:0044>[1-2]XXXXXXXX> as this
would be looking for any 11 digit number starting 01 or 02. A separate
section could be set up for look for numbers beginning 08, which can vary in
length.

Martin²

Chris,
UK providers would assume UK format number, but not sipdiscount or any other
Finarea VoIP.

And now for the bad news (sheepish grin).
The Zyxel has only 10 speed dial numbers and no dial plan feature
Draytek has no dial plan either, but loads more speed dials.
I am considering getting an Orchard dial box which has a programmable dial
plan,
mainly because 'her indoors' can't be bothered to dial 0044 instead of 0 !
Regards,
Martin

David Floyd

In message of Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Jono writes
>It would probably dial quicker if it was <0:0044>[1-2]XXXXXXXX> as this
>would be looking for any 11 digit number starting 01 or 02.

But not all 01 numbers are 11 digits!!

>A separate
>section could be set up for look for numbers beginning 08, which can vary in
>length.

DF

usenet@isbd.co.uk

Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> || Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to get my mind round all this.
> || By 'Dialplan' do you just mean the speed-dialling capabilities and
> || such like?
> || --
> || Chris Green
>
> No, see {{{{{Welcome}}}}}'s reply.
>
> Dialplan basically tells your ata to dial either the numbers as you press
> them on the phone, or add or replace numbers.
>
> For instance, in the quoted example, "<0:0044>[1-8]xx." this part looks for
> numbers beginning with a zero followed by 1 thru 8, followed by any number
> of digits (the . means any length), it then deletes the 1st zero, then adds
> 0044, then dials the rest of the number.
>
> As it's looking for numbers of any length, there will be a delay whilst the
> ATA decides whether you're going to press any more keys or not.
>
> It would probably dial quicker if it was <0:0044>[1-2]XXXXXXXX> as this
> would be looking for any 11 digit number starting 01 or 02. A separate
> section could be set up for look for numbers beginning 08, which can vary in
> length.

OK, what's the DialPlan in? Is it in the firmware in your Voip
hardware (if you have any) or is it in the Voip software in your PC?

Remember I haven't installed *any* software in my PC, my Voip is
wholly contained in my router.

--
Chris Green

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh (E-Mail Removed):

> OK, what's the DialPlan in? Is it in the firmware in your Voip
> hardware (if you have any) or is it in the Voip software in your PC?
>
> Remember I haven't installed *any* software in my PC, my Voip is
> wholly contained in my router.

My dial plan is in the settings section of the firmware on my hardware (ATA)