Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VoIP service provider advice

VoIP service provider advice

Tony Arnold

I've just become interested in VoIP other than Skype and was amazed by the
number of service providers here in the UK. I was wondering if anyone had
any advice on how to go about selecting the best provider? My use is only
casual at the moment, but I would want to dial non-VoIP numbers. I would
also not want to pay a monthly fee, if I can avoid it. I've signed up
initially with voip.co.uk, but am having problems that I will share in
another thread. Oh, I'm a Linux user by the way and am using Linphone!

Tony.

Jono

Tony Arnold wrote:
|| I've just become interested in VoIP other than Skype and was amazed
|| by the number of service providers here in the UK. I was wondering
|| if anyone had any advice on how to go about selecting the best
|| provider? My use is only casual at the moment, but I would want to
|| dial non-VoIP numbers. I would also not want to pay a monthly fee,
|| if I can avoid it. I've signed up initially with voip.co.uk, but am
|| having problems that I will share in another thread. Oh, I'm a Linux
|| user by the way and am using Linphone!
|| Tony.

www.sipgate.co.uk - free geographic number, PAYG calls to PSTN,

www.voip.co.uk - free geographic number but 10 credit required, cheaper UK
landline calls than Sipgate, PAYG calls to PSTN.

www.voipstunt.com - free calls to UK landlines (while it lasts)

Mark

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:41:10 +0000, Tony Arnold
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just become interested in VoIP other than Skype and was amazed by the
>number of service providers here in the UK. I was wondering if anyone had
>any advice on how to go about selecting the best provider? My use is only
>casual at the moment, but I would want to dial non-VoIP numbers. I would
>also not want to pay a monthly fee, if I can avoid it. I've signed up
>initially with voip.co.uk, but am having problems that I will share in
>another thread. Oh, I'm a Linux user by the way and am using Linphone!

A general rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for... Support
doesn't come for free.

Another hard rule is to avoid Just Dial VoIP like the plague. (Support
and professionalism doesn't come at all.)

usenet@isbd.co.uk

Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony Arnold wrote:
> || I've just become interested in VoIP other than Skype and was amazed
> || by the number of service providers here in the UK. I was wondering
> || if anyone had any advice on how to go about selecting the best
> || provider? My use is only casual at the moment, but I would want to
> || dial non-VoIP numbers. I would also not want to pay a monthly fee,
> || if I can avoid it. I've signed up initially with voip.co.uk, but am
> || having problems that I will share in another thread. Oh, I'm a Linux
> || user by the way and am using Linphone!
> || Tony.
>
> www.sipgate.co.uk - free geographic number, PAYG calls to PSTN,
>
> www.voip.co.uk - free geographic number but ?10 credit required, cheaper UK
> landline calls than Sipgate, PAYG calls to PSTN.
>
> www.voipstunt.com - free calls to UK landlines (while it lasts)

I'm in the same boat as the OP so the above list is useful.

Is it possible to find more 'technical' information for
www.voipstunt.com to enable one to set up a VOIP enabled router with
it?

--
Chris Green

Jono

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dqio0o$ch8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to find more 'technical' information for
> www.voipstunt.com to enable one to set up a VOIP enabled router with
> it?
>
> --
> Chris Green

Tell us what you're using (router wise) and I'm sure you'll be able to find
more "technical" information right here.

alexd

> Is it possible to find more 'technical' information for
> www.voipstunt.com to enable one to set up a VOIP enabled router with
> it?

Search for 'voipstunt asterisk' and you'll get all the technical information
you can eat!

19:35:11 up 1 day, 23:50, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.07
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

usenet@isbd.co.uk

Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dqio0o$ch8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Is it possible to find more 'technical' information for
> > www.voipstunt.com to enable one to set up a VOIP enabled router with
> > it?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green

> Tell us what you're using (router wise) and I'm sure you'll be able to find
> more "technical" information right here.

It's a Zyxel 2602HW which arrived yesterday. I have got it set up as
my router already (I'm using it to post this) but haven't looked at
the VOIP bits at all yet.

--
Chris Green

RiDdLeR1989@gmail.com

Visit www.voiphelpforum.com for a list of providers and there packages
they offer....also has a Forum where you can post any questions...

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 24 Jan 2006, writes
>Visit www.voiphelpforum.com for a list of providers and there packages
>they offer....also has a Forum where you can post any questions...

BUT this is a UK group!!