Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VSP with cheap mobile calls and iLBC support?

VSP with cheap mobile calls and iLBC support?

unobtrusive@gmail.com

hi,

As the subject suggests I'm looking for a UK based provider with good
rates to UK mobiles and also support for iLBC.

Sipgate support iLBC but don't have a good rate to mobiles (14.9ppm,
charged per minute).
voiptalk has iLBC support too IIRC but 12.5p + VAT isn't very good
either.
Gossiptel charges 15p/10p/6p but doesn't seem to support iLBC.
voip.co.uk charges 15p/10p/5p but also doesn't seem to support iLBC.

Any others?

And yes, in this case iLBC is an absolute requirement.

Cheers

Paul Cummins

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) () wrote:

> Gossiptel charges 15p/10p/6p but doesn't seem to support iLBC.

And they are spammers too...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

paul123

If you get the voiptalk silver package, it's 10, 8 and 5ppm to most
mobile networks.

downside - cost is 2.99 per month
upside - they give you an incoming geo number with it

Paul

unobtrusive@gmail.com

I don't have a need for a geographical number and would prefer not to
have a monthly fee.

Any other suggestions?

ballylaxman@googlemail.com

Have you looked at the Draytel service? You can get the 10p/8p/5p
mobile rates by just purchasing £10 call credit and it doesn't look
like there's any monthly fees. www.draytel.org.

unobtrusive@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Have you looked at the Draytel service? You can get the 10p/8p/5p
> mobile rates by just purchasing £10 call credit and it doesn't look
> like there's any monthly fees. www.draytel.org.

It's £20 call credit but it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Cheers.

Martin²

Unobtrusive,
can I ask why do you need iLBC ?
Regards,
martin

unobtrusive@gmail.com

ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.

iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

Tim Bray

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.
>
> iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

Is that the line, or the router/firewall on the end of it?

I'm sure G.711 with 60ms packets will have fewer packets than that, so
you might not be limited to iLBC.

The only times I've had pps problems are when running things over VPNs
and also on Spanish ADSL lines.

Tim

unobtrusive@gmail.com

Tim Bray wrote:

> > ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.
> >
> > iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

> Is that the line, or the router/firewall on the end of it?

The telco has enforced a packet rate limiting policy during heavy
congestion periods.

> I'm sure G.711 with 60ms packets will have fewer packets than that, so
> you might not be limited to iLBC.

Yes it uses 16.7pps but all providers default to 20ms and I don't think
they are going to change it just for me! iLBC defaults to 30ms and just
works.