Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > DrayTEK Vigor2900VG - VOIP router

DrayTEK Vigor2900VG - VOIP router

google@ashirusnw.freeserve.co.uk

has anyone successfully used the VOIP features of the DrayTEK
Vigor2900VG? I have no ATA and want to be able to connect a regular
phone to the router with any regular VOIP company (vonage, sipgate, etc
- not skype).

how about the router as a whole - is it worth the money?

I remember reading on usenet that the earlier models of this had issues
with the audio

--
thanks,
Ash

pike_by_nature@hotmail.com

> has anyone successfully used the VOIP features of the DrayTEK
> Vigor2900VG?

No.

Well, obviously yes, just not anyone I seem to speak to. I'm gradually
winning, but before I tear my hair out, I'm getting a seperate ATA to
plug in to my 2900VG and unloading the VOIP element completely. I can
get it to work with VOIPbuster; but not Draytek's "own" service -
Draytel, or Sipgate. It's heartrending.

That said; in every other regard, it seems to be an exceptional router.
Draytek have made their name on VPN's and security and if that's what
you "really" want, I can't recommend it too highly.

If you want a VOIP router, the general concensus seeems to be either
get a Linksys with VOIP built in; or buy a bog-standard router and
spend an extra £45 on an external ATA.

Tim

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> has anyone successfully used the VOIP features of the DrayTEK
> Vigor2900VG? I have no ATA and want to be able to connect a regular
> phone to the router with any regular VOIP company (vonage, sipgate, etc
> - not skype).
>
> how about the router as a whole - is it worth the money?
>
> I remember reading on usenet that the earlier models of this had issues
> with the audio

I've a 2600VG (same model but ADSL instead of Cable Modem) - I can't get
it working with either sipgate or Plustalk (VoIP offering from my ISP,
plusnet).

Draytek support were good but did not resolve the problem (no audio
either way) and ended up wanting me to send the router in for testing.

I've also just bought an ATA box and can't get that working either.
--
Regards
Jon

Martin²

I have the 2600VGi and have no problems using sipgate, voipbuster, FWD or
Draytel.
Even managed to set up QoS to give priority to SIP traffic. However I can't
get sipdiscount to work,
(though I got it to work on a Zyxel 2602HWL).
One feature that doesn't work is using one phone to operate both lines,
though the software caters for it.
Regards,
Martin

Alex

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> has anyone successfully used the VOIP features of the DrayTEK
> Vigor2900VG? I have no ATA and want to be able to connect a regular
> phone to the router with any regular VOIP company (vonage, sipgate, etc
> - not skype).
>
> how about the router as a whole - is it worth the money?
>
> I remember reading on usenet that the earlier models of this had issues
> with the audio
>
> --
> thanks,
> Ash

Mine worked pretty much out of the box, I just put my sipgate settings into
it. I use sipgate on one line, then voipstunt on another. At one point I
also had a FWD line active. Sipdiscount does not work on any drayteks (from
reading in the forums) however as voipstunt works and does not even require
the 5euro credit, this is the better alternative anyhow. I have my old ata
which used to be connected to the router to use sipdiscount, however have
now ditched that to use voipstunt on on of the drayteks lines.

Alex

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> I have the 2600VGi and have no problems using sipgate, voipbuster, FWD or
> Draytel.
> Even managed to set up QoS to give priority to SIP traffic. However I can't
> get sipdiscount to work,
> (though I got it to work on a Zyxel 2602HWL).
> One feature that doesn't work is using one phone to operate both lines,
> though the software caters for it.

Care to mail me your settings for sipgate? Port forwarding, open ports,
etc. Off list if you prefer - jonparker at orange.net

Problem I has was one way audio, I could dial 10000 and hear the test
but when I called someone else they couldn't hear me speak and I
couldn't hear them.
--
Regards
Jon