Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Any other company than Sipgate that allocates local UK numbers

Any other company than Sipgate that allocates local UK numbers

Unknown Artist

Some time ago I set up a local number with Sipgate but something
seemed to go wrong with the setup at their end. There did seem to be a
glitch with their web page when I initially signed up. I installed
their X-Lite software phone but whenever the number is called it
simply gives an engaged tone. My account is fully registered and I can
log in and confirm the number is mine.

I know it is not my ADSL/Firewall because my son also signed up and
when we run his X-Lite software phone program on my computer it works
perfectly. It all points to a configuration problem at Sipgates end. I
have tried emailing their tech support but all I am getting back are
generic messages telling me to check things that I know are not wrong.
I have just about given up with them now.

Is there another company that allocates UK local numbers with their
accounts that I can subscribe to. Any help welcome.

Thanks.

Bert.

Jono

"Unknown Artist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) idual.de...
> Some time ago I set up a local number with Sipgate but something
> seemed to go wrong with the setup at their end. There did seem to be a
> glitch with their web page when I initially signed up. I installed
> their X-Lite software phone but whenever the number is called it
> simply gives an engaged tone. My account is fully registered and I can
> log in and confirm the number is mine.
>
> I know it is not my ADSL/Firewall because my son also signed up and
> when we run his X-Lite software phone program on my computer it works
> perfectly. It all points to a configuration problem at Sipgates end. I
> have tried emailing their tech support but all I am getting back are
> generic messages telling me to check things that I know are not wrong.
> I have just about given up with them now.
>
> Is there another company that allocates UK local numbers with their
> accounts that I can subscribe to. Any help welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Bert.

Are you saying that your son's credentials work on your PC - the only two
items you change in X-lite are the username and password?

If that's the case, then it does point to being a problem at Sipgate's end -
I am surprised they've not fixed it, though, if you've let them know.

Can your son call you using your Sipgate 7 digit ID number, from his PC? Are
you having problems from the PSTN=>Sipgate, Sipgate=>Sipgate or both?

Why not just sign up for another Sipgate number & see if that works?

Another company that offers free PSTN numbers is voip.co.uk - you do have to
credit the account with a minimum of 10 AFAIR.

Sipdiscount, Voipbuster and others are also offering numbers, although from
a seemingly much smaller pool of numbers. (If you don't live in Birmingham,
you get an 056 number)

GwG

"Unknown Artist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) idual.de...
> Some time ago I set up a local number with Sipgate but something
> seemed to go wrong with the setup at their end. There did seem to be a
> glitch with their web page when I initially signed up. I installed
> their X-Lite software phone but whenever the number is called it
> simply gives an engaged tone. My account is fully registered and I can
> log in and confirm the number is mine.
>
> I know it is not my ADSL/Firewall because my son also signed up and
> when we run his X-Lite software phone program on my computer it works
> perfectly. It all points to a configuration problem at Sipgates end. I
> have tried emailing their tech support but all I am getting back are
> generic messages telling me to check things that I know are not wrong.
> I have just about given up with them now.
>
> Is there another company that allocates UK local numbers with their
> accounts that I can subscribe to. Any help welcome.

I have had very good responses from Sipgate, and problems sorted out,
have you tried filling in the technical support form on the following
link:-
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.p...f3f43a0cd2720b

Unknown Artist

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:12:09 GMT, "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are you saying that your son's credentials work on your PC - the only two
>items you change in X-lite are the username and password?

Yes, that is correct.

>If that's the case, then it does point to being a problem at Sipgate's end -
>I am surprised they've not fixed it, though, if you've let them know.

I have tried again and am awaiting a response. To be honest the last
response I got from them led me to loose interest for a while.

>Why not just sign up for another Sipgate number & see if that works?

I have done and it works fine. I really would like to original number
though because I was the first person on my exchange to apply for one
several months ago and it is xxxxx 828000

>Another company that offers free PSTN numbers is voip.co.uk - you do have to
>credit the account with a minimum of 10 AFAIR.

Thanks for all the help. I'll persevere with Sipgate support. Maybe
the last person who responded to me was having a bad day.

Bert.

Unknown Artist

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:08:50 GMT, "GwG"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have had very good responses from Sipgate, and problems sorted out,
>have you tried filling in the technical support form on the following
>link:-
>http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.p...f3f43a0cd2720b

Thanks for the info. See my reply to Jono just above.

I have used the link before and have tried again earlier today.
Fingers crossed, as the problem does seem to be at their end.

Bert.

Ivor Jones

"Unknown Artist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) idual.de

[snip]

> Thanks for all the help. I'll persevere with Sipgate
> support. Maybe the last person who responded to me was
> having a bad day.

Contact me off group.

Ivor
ivor at g6urp dot co dot uk