Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > My own email address as a SIP address?

My own email address as a SIP address?

I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as a SIP address.

Googled without any positive success.

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43bd39dd$0$893$(E-Mail Removed)
> I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as
> a SIP address.
> Googled without any positive success.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Many thanks

I think you'd have to run your own SIP server. Not sure how you'd go about
it, but out of interest why do you want to..?

Ivor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43bd39dd$0$893$(E-Mail Removed)
>> I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as
>> a SIP address.
>> Googled without any positive success.
>>
>> Any pointers appreciated.
>>
>> Many thanks

> I think you'd have to run your own SIP server. Not sure how you'd go about
> it, but out of interest why do you want to..?
>
> Ivor

Give out a personalised SIP address.

Tim Bray

> I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as a SIP address.

You would need to run a SIP server for the domain pobox.com

As you don't own the pobox domain, you can't do this.

If you had your own domain name, then you would need to install your own
SIP server.

You could use SER (open source) or Snom 4S proxy (commercial, but free
for less than 10 users) to do this.

There are other SIP proxies as well, but these are the ones I use.

Tim

Jono

"Tim Bray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43bd5b3b$0$87296$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as a SIP address.

> You would need to run a SIP server for the domain pobox.com
>
> As you don't own the pobox domain, you can't do this.
>
> If you had your own domain name, then you would need to install your own
> SIP server.
>
> You could use SER (open source) or Snom 4S proxy (commercial, but free
> for less than 10 users) to do this.
>
> There are other SIP proxies as well, but these are the ones I use.
>
> Tim

Can Asterisk be used, Tim?

Andrew Gabriel

In article <43bd5b3b$0$87296$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Bray <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as a SIP address.

> You would need to run a SIP server for the domain pobox.com

You certainly could do it this way, but I think you could
alternatively arrange your VoIP phone (or ATA) has the IP address
of your own email domain, and avoid running a SIP server.

You might also want to think of the complications of how you
might actually dial am email address from a phone (depends on
the VoIP phone or ATA, but it's going to be a real in the ass
on some of them). Dialling something like 1234@158.152.58.86
probably at the limit of what's reasonable of you're using a
real phone keypad -- (E-Mail Removed) is probably
well over 100 button presses and horribly error prone.

> You could use SER (open source) or Snom 4S proxy (commercial, but free
> for less than 10 users) to do this.
>
> There are other SIP proxies as well, but these are the ones I use.

I use SER (the version included with Solaris 10).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ivor Jones

"Andrew Gabriel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:43bd8342$0$87296$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> You might also want to think of the complications of how
> you might actually dial am email address from a phone
> (depends on the VoIP phone or ATA, but it's going to be a
> real in the ass
> on some of them). Dialling something like
> 1234@158.152.58.86 probably at the limit of what's
> reasonable of you're using a real phone keypad --
> (E-Mail Removed) is probably well over 100
> button presses and horribly error prone.

Which is why we use SIP providers to give us "normal" phone numbers..!

Ivor

Andrew (G0RVM)

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as a SIP address.
>
> Googled without any positive success.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Many thanks

I've done exactly that here.
Its really easy, once you have the correct bits... (like everything
really )

a) you would need to register your domain name
b) get a SIP registrar (could be Ser, asterisk etc) running on a host
resolvable to that domain on the Internet
c) get a device/handset registered to your SIP registrar that will respond
to incoming calls.

I chose he easy option and purchased a SIP aware firewall/router that
includes a Registrar and proxy server. This solves many problems people
experience getting VoIP working. Its the IX66 from a company called
Intertex. Superb product.

Regards,
Andrew

Tim Bray

Jono wrote:

> Can Asterisk be used, Tim?

Yes. Its a bit complicated for what the original poster asked for.

Tim

Tim Bray

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> You certainly could do it this way, but I think you could
> alternatively arrange your VoIP phone (or ATA) has the IP address
> of your own email domain, and avoid running a SIP server.

If you change ISP, your IP address changes.

I'm sure that dial by IP address is discouraged/forbidded in the RFC's
anyway.

> You might also want to think of the complications of how you
> might actually dial am email address from a phone (depends on
> the VoIP phone or ATA, but it's going to be a real in the ass
> on some of them). Dialling something like 1234@158.152.58.86
> probably at the limit of what's reasonable of you're using a
> real phone keypad -- (E-Mail Removed) is probably
> well over 100 button presses and horribly error prone.

Common callers in the address book. For everybody else, just pay the
telco - not worth pressing the buttons to save a few p.

[Roll on enum]

Tim