Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Newbie question? VoIP & wifi router

Newbie question? VoIP & wifi router

Mr.Muppster

Hi all,

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to read through many an internet
page about VoIP & I'm learning all the time.

Thinking about getting a VoIP phone up & running but was wondering if I need
to change my router or will my Dlink DI-624 work OK with the VoIP system?

Planning to get a USB VoIP adapter if that is critical or not? (so I can use
my cordless home phone for PC calls).

Thanks for any feedback.

Much appreciated.

Mr.M

Thomas Kenyon

Mr.Muppster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to read through many an internet
> page about VoIP & I'm learning all the time.
>
> Thinking about getting a VoIP phone up & running but was wondering if I need
> to change my router or will my Dlink DI-624 work OK with the VoIP system?

From memory that was an early (no WPA ) ADSL wireless router, which
has simple tcp and udp port forwarding capabilities.

It is certainly do-able, but you may experience a loss in quality if you
are using P2P software at the same time. Forcing the handset to use
G.729 will help this a little.

> Planning to get a USB VoIP adapter if that is critical or not? (so I can use
> my cordless home phone for PC calls).

Personally I'd recommend paying a little bit extra and getting an ATA,
that way you wont need the PC switched on to make calls.

Failing that, if your mobile phone contract is due soon, it may be worth
seeing how much a Nokia E60 (Due 1st Quarter of this year) will cost
(since you have an access point already) although as with most wireless
applications, you will probably need an access point upstairs as well
(so perfect if you live in a fairly small flat).

I've clearly never used an E60, but it does look promising (good battery
times, even if it has only got a 5C battery as standard).