Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SIP box to regular router (+wifi?)

SIP box to regular router (+wifi?)

google@ashirusnw.freeserve.co.uk

Hi I'm about to set up a home network with a router - possibly a wifi
router. i've got my house networked up during a recent rewiring so
there's a rj45 in most rooms. i want to buy a decent gigabit-ethernet
router, possibly one with wifi capabilities too (for my laptop so I can
sit in the garden) but I'd like to use VOIP too.

I know i need some sort of SIP box for most VOIP (i'll probably go with
vonage). Is there any wifi router that has full voip support?

my pc magazine recommends the "DrayTek Vigor2600VG" but looking at the
specs just says it has rj-11 port which is says can be used for VOIP.
is this the same as having a SIP box connected to a router? how would
this work in practice if i want to use voip without computer being on?

is it better to get a regular wifi router and connect some sort of SIP
box to it?

i'd like to connect my regular DECT cordless to work through voip too.

--
thanks,
Ash

Brian A

On 20 Dec 2005 04:26:03 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi I'm about to set up a home network with a router - possibly a wifi
>router. i've got my house networked up during a recent rewiring so
>there's a rj45 in most rooms. i want to buy a decent gigabit-ethernet
>router, possibly one with wifi capabilities too (for my laptop so I can
>sit in the garden) but I'd like to use VOIP too.
>
>I know i need some sort of SIP box for most VOIP (i'll probably go with
>vonage). Is there any wifi router that has full voip support?
>
>my pc magazine recommends the "DrayTek Vigor2600VG" but looking at the
>specs just says it has rj-11 port which is says can be used for VOIP.
>is this the same as having a SIP box connected to a router? how would
>this work in practice if i want to use voip without computer being on?

If your router has voip provision then you simply plug your analogue
phones into that. You don't need to have a computer switched on, all
the work is done by the box.

>is it better to get a regular wifi router and connect some sort of SIP
>box to it?

If you do look for a router with 'QoS' (Quality of Service).
If you can have seperate units for a similar cost I would, personally,
go for that. I always go for seperates. If one aspect of it goes
faulty at least that element can be replaced. However, if it is
cheaper, or better facilities can be afforded with and 'all-in-one
box' (ATA and router togerher) then go for that.

>i'd like to connect my regular DECT cordless to work through voip too.

Simple. Just plug in your DECT into your ATA.
Some ATAs will allow dual have both FXS and FXO. This permits use of
landline and voip from all your analogue phone handsets. The Sipura
SPA-3000 is one but there are others.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

paul123

the Draytek is a bit pricey (maybe). Also check out the Thomson
SpeedTouch 716WL wifi router. At 75 quid, it's worth a look. I've been
using the 716g (its predecessor) for 8 months without any biggies.
Works a treat with DECT phones!

The zoom x5v, which works fine as a voip router, is even cheaper though
it has no wifi.

Paul

Me

On 20 Dec 2005 05:37:59 -0800, "paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the Draytek is a bit pricey (maybe). Also check out the Thomson
>SpeedTouch 716WL wifi router. At 75 quid, it's worth a look. I've been
>using the 716g (its predecessor) for 8 months without any biggies.
>Works a treat with DECT phones!

I too have the 716g - no issues whatsoever.

A friend bought the 716WL and the interface is far more complex
especially if you want to configure anything but the basics.

My advice would be to try and get a 716g. They are still available -
at Broadband buyer for example
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ShopGroupID=38

Me

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> my pc magazine recommends the "DrayTek Vigor2600VG" but looking at the
> specs just says it has rj-11 port which is says can be used for VOIP.
> is this the same as having a SIP box connected to a router? how would
> this work in practice if i want to use voip without computer being on?

The 2600VG has 2 RJ11 ports and in-built SIP support, so no extra box
needed. It also comes with 2 adapters to connect regular telephones
directly to the router.

I've nearly got mine working except I can't get any audio to flow in
either direction. I can place and answer calls but can't actually talk.
--
Regards
Jon

google@ashirusnw.freeserve.co.uk

hmm. do you think this is because it's no good or just that you don't
know how to set it up?

have you asked draytek customer support about this?

--
thanks,
Ash

Stuart Millington

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:13:49 -0000, Jon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The 2600VG has 2 RJ11 ports and in-built SIP support, so no extra box
>needed. It also comes with 2 adapters to connect regular telephones
>directly to the router.
>
>I've nearly got mine working except I can't get any audio to flow in
>either direction. I can place and answer calls but can't actually talk.

I've got the same one. I did get it working once, but the voice
quality was pathetic. Although, there have been many firmware upgrades
since then that may have fixed it. I gave up on its built-in SIP and
plugged an SPA-3000 into it

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailto(E-Mail Removed) http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

Martin²

An very good alternative to the Draytek is Zyxel 2602HWL,
it has pass-trough to PSTN line,
one phone can handle both lines,
and it works with sipdiscount.
I am sorry to say the 2600VG can't do any of the above,
although is otherwise very good and reliable kit, so much so
that I didn't hesitate to buy second hand one on eBay.
Usually few available at half price
Regards,
Martin

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> hmm. do you think this is because it's no good or just that you don't
> know how to set it up?
>
> have you asked draytek customer support about this?

Yes, we've exchanged 12 emails, and I've now been asked to send it in
for testing, which I can't do.

It's set up as it should be, I've tried with sipgate and with plustalk,
which is my own ISPs VoIP offering. Both accounts work using the
softphone (X-Lite) but not directly on the router.
--
Regards
Jon

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> I've got the same one. I did get it working once, but the voice
> quality was pathetic. Although, there have been many firmware upgrades
> since then that may have fixed it. I gave up on its built-in SIP and
> plugged an SPA-3000 into it

I think I'm about to plump for an ATA aswell.
--
Regards
Jon