Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 - Annex A versus Annex B

Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 - Annex A versus Annex B

Philippe Deleye

Hi

I bought a german Fritz!Box 7050 (www.avm.de) from e-Bay Germany.
This is ADSL modem + router + WLAN + Voip + PBX, with analogue and ISDN
connections (both extrernal/internal)

In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
B"
Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
conncetions are Annex A
This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
lines

Does anyobe know if there is a Firmware available to convert the Fritz!Box
form Annex B to Annex A ??
or is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update ??

The AVM helpdesk is not willing to help me, as they do not give support
outside Germany (at least not for the german box; there is a different
international version I believe ..)

rgds
Philippe

Eliodeo

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:11:45 +0100, "Philippe Deleye"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyobe know if there is a Firmware available to convert the Fritz!Box
>form Annex B to Annex A ??
>or is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update ??

Here you go:
http://www.vocesuip.com/viewtopic.php?t=13

it's in italian but it should be easy to find the file that upgrades
the FritzBox to AnnexA.

To install it, go to the firmware upgrade menu in the FritzBox.

Ciao

Phil Thompson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
>B"
>Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
>conncetions are Annex A
>This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
>lines

I think you mean the German box can only be used with ADSL over ISDN
which is Annex B wherever you are.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Frank Ochmann

Phil Thompson wrote:
>>In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
>>B"
>>Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
>>conncetions are Annex A
>>This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
>>lines

> I think you mean the German box can only be used with ADSL over ISDN
> which is Annex B wherever you are.

The german versions of the avm boxes can also be used with Annex A (you
can easily switch this via the telnet interface). It works, but might
not (here in Germany it is quite tricky to find an Annex A connection,
but lots of users have been reported to run the boxes on an Annex A
connection).

The differences in the Fritz!Box hardware (Annex B to A) are different
filter circuits in hardware, so the software will not help you there.

There is some information available (partly in English), please read
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/forum/v...=240850#240850

Frank
--
we are all but packets in the internet of life...

alexd

Philippe Deleye wrote:

> is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update
> ??

> The AVM helpdesk is not willing to help me, as they do not give support
> outside Germany (at least not for the german box; there is a different
> international version I believe ..)

I think you've answered your own question!

20:26:54 up 13 days, 7:02, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.30, 0.16
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Eliodeo

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:02:53 +0100, Frank Ochmann <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The differences in the Fritz!Box hardware (Annex B to A) are different
>filter circuits in hardware, so the software will not help you there.
>
>There is some information available (partly in English), please read
>http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/forum/v...=240850#240850
>
>Frank

Sorry to disappoint you, but I use a Fritzbox Wlan Fon 7050 in Italy
and I changed it from Annex B to Annex A through a simple software
upgrade.

Cheers

Chris

Philippe Deleye wrote:
> Hi
>
> I bought a german Fritz!Box 7050 (www.avm.de) from e-Bay Germany.
> This is ADSL modem + router + WLAN + Voip + PBX, with analogue and ISDN
> connections (both extrernal/internal)
>
> In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
> B"
> Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
> conncetions are Annex A
> This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
> lines
>
> Does anyobe know if there is a Firmware available to convert the Fritz!Box
> form Annex B to Annex A ??
> or is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update ??

According to the manual (p. 20), you can connect the Box to either an
analogue (Annex A) or an ISDN (Annex B) phone line without having to
change anything (an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter is included).

Rebroad

I recently bought an Annex B ADSL modem on ebay, and was also worried
that it would not work in the UK, which is Annex A, but I took a risk,
bought it, and it does work. If you use a POTS splitter than you should
also be able to use the telephone to make phone calls at the same time
as using the internet.

Hope this helps! Let me know how you get on.

Ed

Frank Ochmann

> Sorry to disappoint you, but I use a Fritzbox Wlan Fon 7050 in Italy
> and I changed it from Annex B to Annex A through a simple software
> upgrade.

If you would read my post correctly I said that it would work But,
depending on certain conditions, it just might not.

AVM builds different 7050 boxes for Annex A and Annex B.

FO

--

Chris schrieb:
> Philippe Deleye wrote:

> According to the manual (p. 20), you can connect the Box to either an
> analogue (Annex A) or an ISDN (Annex B) phone line without having to
> change anything (an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter is included).

Wrong. (On german models) you can connect either to analogue or ISDN,
but *both* with Annex B (AFAIK there is no Annex A in Germany).

Again: the filter circuits on the "line" side are different between
Annex A and B (frequency range). The firmware supports both, but the
hardware is different.

Philippe, just try it, you cannot damage anything. All the information
you need is available in this thread and in the other thread you started
in the german newsgroup!

Frank
--
we are all but packets in the internet of life...

SELLING used FRITZ BOX FON WLAN 7050 RED stefano UK VOIP 3 08-27-2009 12:38 PM
Fritz!Box Fon 7170 Annex A version..? Ivor Jones UK VOIP 8 07-23-2007 06:13 PM
Fritz fon wlan 7050 alves UK VOIP 0 06-28-2007 06:04 PM
FRITZ!Box Fon (Annex A) Adrian UK VOIP 35 05-15-2007 01:42 PM
Fritz!box 7050 Annex A or B ? Jim UK VOIP 4 04-21-2006 09:11 AM

Advertisments