Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Using Sipgate, short delay before calling person can hear me.

Using Sipgate, short delay before calling person can hear me.

GwG

I have a Sipura 2000 with a dect phone connected, and I am using
Sipgate.
Just lately, when I receive a call, there is sometimes about a three or
four second delay after I answer the call, before the person calling can
hear me speaking, occasionally resulting in the caller hanging up,
thinking their call is not being answered.. As this is only occasional,
I don't think it is my set up that is the problem, and as it has only
recently started doing this, without any changes at my end, then this
probably points to a problem elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing
this, or does anyone know what the problem might be.

Ivor Jones

"GwG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wfvpf.39816$(E-Mail Removed)
> I have a Sipura 2000 with a dect phone connected, and I
> am using Sipgate.
> Just lately, when I receive a call, there is sometimes
> about a three or four second delay after I answer the
> call, before the person calling can hear me speaking,
> occasionally resulting in the caller hanging up, thinking
> their call is not being answered.. As this is only
> occasional, I don't think it is my set up that is the
> problem, and as it has only recently started doing this,
> without any changes at my end, then this probably points
> to a problem elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this,
> or does anyone know what the problem might be.

It's quite common, it isn't you, there is sometimes a delay on the system,
nobody seems to know why. You will find that the caller is probably
hearing ring tone right up until they can hear you. I've got used to it so
it's not a major headache for me.

(Cue Dexter and the anti-Sipgate brigade...)

Ivor

GwG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "GwG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wfvpf.39816$(E-Mail Removed)
>> I have a Sipura 2000 with a dect phone connected, and I
>> am using Sipgate.
>> Just lately, when I receive a call, there is sometimes
>> about a three or four second delay after I answer the
>> call, before the person calling can hear me speaking,
>> occasionally resulting in the caller hanging up, thinking
>> their call is not being answered.. As this is only
>> occasional, I don't think it is my set up that is the
>> problem, and as it has only recently started doing this,
>> without any changes at my end, then this probably points
>> to a problem elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this,
>> or does anyone know what the problem might be.

> It's quite common, it isn't you, there is sometimes a delay on the
> system, nobody seems to know why. You will find that the caller is
> probably hearing ring tone right up until they can hear you. I've got
> used to it so it's not a major headache for me.

Thanks Ivor, yes the caller does hear the ringing tone up until my
speech gets through.

> (Cue Dexter and the anti-Sipgate brigade...)

He's been sectioned on my system for months

Chris Blunt

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:52:41 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GwG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:wfvpf.39816$(E-Mail Removed)
>> I have a Sipura 2000 with a dect phone connected, and I
>> am using Sipgate.
>> Just lately, when I receive a call, there is sometimes
>> about a three or four second delay after I answer the
>> call, before the person calling can hear me speaking,
>> occasionally resulting in the caller hanging up, thinking
>> their call is not being answered.. As this is only
>> occasional, I don't think it is my set up that is the
>> problem, and as it has only recently started doing this,
>> without any changes at my end, then this probably points
>> to a problem elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this,
>> or does anyone know what the problem might be.

>It's quite common, it isn't you, there is sometimes a delay on the system,
>nobody seems to know why. You will find that the caller is probably
>hearing ring tone right up until they can hear you. I've got used to it so
>it's not a major headache for me.

I also have this problem, but its only been like that for the last few
months. Sipgate must have made some changes to the system which cause
this as it worked quite normally when I first had my account with them

Chris

hairydog@despammed.com

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:41:48 GMT, "GwG"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just lately, when I receive a call, there is sometimes about a three or
>four second delay after I answer the call, before the person calling can
>hear me speaking,

I get the same, though not on Sipgate. It seems to be something
inherent in VOIP, but I'm sure there is a way to fix it.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

Thomas Rankin

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:41:48 GMT, "GwG"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just lately, when I receive a call, there is sometimes about a three or
>>four second delay after I answer the call, before the person calling can
>>hear me speaking,

> I get the same, though not on Sipgate. It seems to be something
> inherent in VOIP, but I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

I get something very similar with sipgate (don't know how long for, I
personally don't use the line much.) but where everybody else gets
silence I get a very feint ring tone.

Tim Bray

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I get the same, though not on Sipgate. It seems to be something
> inherent in VOIP, but I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

It isn't inherent in voip at all.

Tim

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:21:54 +0000, Tim Bray <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I get the same, though not on Sipgate. It seems to be something
>> inherent in VOIP, but I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

>It isn't inherent in voip at all.

I'm glad to hear that. Can you tell me what causes it, and how I can
get rid of it?