Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Connecting a POTS phone to modem without POTS port.

Connecting a POTS phone to modem without POTS port.

Wim

My ISP will soon start offering some Voip service. I want
to try that of course.
My ADSL modem/router has no possibility to connect a phone,
and I prefer not to buy another modem.

I know that there are devices to which I can connect
a POTS phone, and connect that device to my ADSL router
by ethernet. But until now, I am not able to find them.
Can anybody help?

Wim

Jono

"Wim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> My ISP will soon start offering some Voip service. I want
> to try that of course.
> My ADSL modem/router has no possibility to connect a phone,
> and I prefer not to buy another modem.
>
> I know that there are devices to which I can connect
> a POTS phone, and connect that device to my ADSL router
> by ethernet. But until now, I am not able to find them.
> Can anybody help?
>
> Wim

You've not tried very hard.

Linksys/Sipura make "analogue telephone adapters", to name just one. (or is
it two)

There are a number of ATAs here www.provu.co.uk

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Wim <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> My ISP will soon start offering some Voip service. I want
> to try that of course.
> My ADSL modem/router has no possibility to connect a phone,
> and I prefer not to buy another modem.
>
> I know that there are devices to which I can connect
> a POTS phone, and connect that device to my ADSL router
> by ethernet. But until now, I am not able to find them.
> Can anybody help?

They are called ATA's -- Analogue Telephone Adaptors.
I use SPA-3000's, but that's at the top end of the
feature set, complexity, and price bracket.
There are much cheaper ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel