Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Any VoIP phone will work with any VoIP software (skype, Gizmo, VoipBuster,etc)

Any VoIP phone will work with any VoIP software (skype, Gizmo, VoipBuster,etc)

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com

Hi, i was considering getting a handset to use with skype (with skype
for the time being) but with all the new services and competition
(yahoo comes to mind) i forsee myself trying out other services. So,
does anyone know if most of these phones (or VoIP adapters for regular
phones) will work with most of the VoIP software? (Just for
clarification, i am not talking about the voip carriers like vonage,
sunrocket, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

themgt

On 11 Dec 2005 17:47:37 -0800

> Hi, i was considering getting a handset to use with skype (with skype
> for the time being) but with all the new services and competition
> (yahoo comes to mind) i forsee myself trying out other services. So,
> does anyone know if most of these phones (or VoIP adapters for regular
> phones) will work with most of the VoIP software? (Just for
> clarification, i am not talking about the voip carriers like vonage,
> sunrocket, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Yealink USB-P1K handset (sometimes badged as Waitec or Yamamoto) works on a few different SIP softphones as well as Skype (http://www.yealink.com/english/support.htm). I've one plugged into the kids machine for use with X-lite and it seems OK.

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi, i was considering getting a handset to use with skype (with skype
> for the time being) but with all the new services and competition
> (yahoo comes to mind) i forsee myself trying out other services. So,

If you're simply talking about a handset to plug into the audio card of
your computer, you can be pretty sure, that they will work with any
software. If you want a proper standalone IP telephone, most are likely
to work with any provider (which provides you with username and password
for terminal configuration) except Skype, which is using their own
proprietary protocol for call setup.

Tor