Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SIPGATE SEEMS RUBBISH - Back to Freetalk or Vonage for me!

SIPGATE SEEMS RUBBISH - Back to Freetalk or Vonage for me!

themgt

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:35:44 GMT
Maureen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but quite honestly
> the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the old faithfuls I think!
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> regards
>
> Maureen

From now on, you shall be called 'Brian that is called Maureen'.

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:53:25 GMT, themgt <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:35:44 GMT
>Maureen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but quite honestly
>> the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the old faithfuls I think!
>>
>> Thanks for the advice.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Maureen

>From now on, you shall be called 'Brian that is called Maureen'.

Now how do you work that one out ? do you work on the asumption that
only one person lives in one house in the UK now ,for all you know
there could be two or three or even four people or more even living
together and using the same isp and ip address .

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Mark:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> "Maureen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>> Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
>>> quite honestly
>>> the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
>>> old faithfuls I think!
>>>
>>> Thanks for the advice.

>> At the risk of stirring up the idiot brigade, what exactly were your
>> problems..? Sipgate does honestly work fine for me. A lot of the
>> problems reported are often due to equipment/config problems, if you
>> give me some more info I might be able to help.
>>
>> Ivor
>>

> I also have to agree Sipgate works fine for me too

I also have no problems with Sipgate. Use it all the time to receive calls and
occasionally to make calls, as we're a VoIP only home now.

Paul

"Maureen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but quite honestly
> the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the old faithfuls I
> think!
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> regards
>
> Maureen

Interesting correspondence. I've been with Sipgate for about 2 weeks and
found it very easy to set up (Linksys ATA). Worked right away to my
amazement. following very simple configuration.

However, I've since then had a couple of problems - clearly at Sipgate's end
as far as I can work it out.

For much of last Thursday late afternoon and evening (8th Dec) calls were
not getting through. Someone rang my mobile to notify of this (I was not at
home). Called the Sipgate number on my mobile and was told at various times
that the number was unobtainable and that there was network congestion (If I
recall the terms on my mobile display correctly). Managed to get the ringing
tone only once in a dozen or more attempts from about 4.30pm to about 10pm,
using various phones. Dialling the number from my home BT line resulted in
the continuous whine (unobtainable tone). Sipgate website showed 'online'
with no apparent problems. Then it all suddenly went OK about 10pm, with
absolutely no action on my part (dialled test call caused phone to ring for
first time in several hours).

Today, 12th Dec, someone rang me at 11.44 am and didn't get through - not
sure what if any recorded message he got but he seems to have been
immediately diverted to voicemail. I was sitting next to the SIPGATE phone
but it didn't ring. Got a 'silent' voicemail message by email and
immediately checked the sipgate number from another line - working OK (phone
rang). (Person rang my mobile rather than leave a message on Sipgate).

All this is a bit puzzling and a bit concerning. Sipgate seems to work OK
99% of the time but the 1% (or whatever) when it's not working is a nuisance
and an inconvenience - especially as I've given the number to various
business partners and have cancelled my BT second line in favour of Sipgate.

Any (polite) comments appreciated. I'm not trying to knock Sipgate and think
it's an excellent system in principle - would like to see it become a
little bit more reliable though. Having given out the Sipgate number I have
a stake in seeing it work better!!

Paul

Freetalk taken over by Vonage dv UK VOIP 21 09-02-2006 02:11 PM
Freetalk transfering to Vonage!"! ^^artnada^^ UK VOIP 10 09-01-2006 06:19 PM
Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference duncan.perrett@elekta.com UK VOIP 28 05-18-2006 10:03 PM
Vonage or Freetalk BB UK VOIP 9 05-05-2006 09:27 AM
Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk SidKnee UK VOIP 13 10-08-2005 08:55 PM

Advertisments