Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SIP & Skype

SIP & Skype

Sidknee

I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I
would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and when I
need to use it?

Is there such a thing?

Sidk

Ivor Jones

"Sidknee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:YaYkf.9811$(E-Mail Removed)
> I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer /
> broadband connection that is capable of being used for
> Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
> functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
> when I need to use it?
> Is there such a thing?
>
> Sidk

Unlikely, Skype uses its own proprietary (and definitely non-SIP)
protocol.

Ivor

Andrew - G0RVM

Sidknee wrote:

> I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
> connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP).
> I would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
> when I need to use it?
>
> Is there such a thing?
>
> Sidk

Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that converges SIP and
Skype. The very mention of such a unit would be enough to boil the blood
of either camp!

Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could two seperate unit's
be an option?

I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do one for Skype and I
would probably go with the Grandstream for SIP.

Andrew

Ivor Jones

"Andrew - G0RVM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nH_kf.129519$(E-Mail Removed). uk

[snip]

> Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
> converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
> would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!
>
> Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
> two seperate unit's be an option?
>
> I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
> one for Skype and I would probably go with the
> Grandstream for SIP.

An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
allows Skype without a PC being on.

Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
build quality and far more configurable.

Ivor

Andrew (G0RVM)

Ivor Jones wrote:

> "Andrew - G0RVM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nH_kf.129519$(E-Mail Removed). uk
>
> [snip]
>
>> Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
>> converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
>> would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!
>>
>> Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
>> two seperate unit's be an option?
>>
>> I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
>> one for Skype and I would probably go with the
>> Grandstream for SIP.

> An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
> USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
> allows Skype without a PC being on.
>
> Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
> build quality and far more configurable.
>
> Ivor

Mmm, I thought it a little odd too. But if you pay/subscribe to Skype
in/out - why not?

I got the reference from the December 2nd edition of VON Focus. In the
Press Releases section an entry says:

12/01/05 - VOCAL INTRODUCES SKYPE-COMPATIBLE ATA

I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com) and although there is
reference to their ATA technology, there is no mention of Skype.

Andrew

Brian A

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ivor Jones wrote:
>

>> "Andrew - G0RVM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:nH_kf.129519$(E-Mail Removed). uk
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
>>> converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
>>> would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!
>>>
>>> Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
>>> two seperate unit's be an option?
>>>
>>> I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
>>> one for Skype and I would probably go with the
>>> Grandstream for SIP.

>> An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
>> USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
>> allows Skype without a PC being on.
>>
>> Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
>> build quality and far more configurable.
>>
>> Ivor

>Mmm, I thought it a little odd too. But if you pay/subscribe to Skype
>in/out - why not?
>
>I got the reference from the December 2nd edition of VON Focus. In the
>Press Releases section an entry says:
>
>12/01/05 - VOCAL INTRODUCES SKYPE-COMPATIBLE ATA
>
>I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com) and although there is
>reference to their ATA technology, there is no mention of Skype.
>
>Andrew

There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones can be
connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The computer still has to be
on though.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Brian

On 2005-12-05, Sidknee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
> connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I
> would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and when I
> need to use it?
>
> Is there such a thing?

This may or may not do what you have in mind but it claims to support
Skype and SIP:

http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcpho...pe/vta1000.htm

Brian.

Ivor Jones

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> > I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com)
> > and although there is reference to their ATA
> > technology, there is no mention of Skype.
> >
> > Andrew

> There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones
> can be connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The
> computer still has to be on though.

Not really the accepted definition of an ATA. An ATA can be plugged
directly into a router without a PC.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

news:dn25qr$9r4$1$(E-Mail Removed)
> On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
> > / broadband connection that is capable of being used
> > for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
> > functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
> > when I need to use it?
> >
> > Is there such a thing?

> This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
> claims to support Skype and SIP:
>
> http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcpho...pe/vta1000.htm
>
> Brian.

It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.

Ivor

Brian

On 2005-12-05, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dn25qr$9r4$1$(E-Mail Removed)
>> On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
>> > / broadband connection that is capable of being used
>> > for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
>> > functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
>> > when I need to use it?
>> >
>> > Is there such a thing?

>> This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
>> claims to support Skype and SIP:
>>
>> http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcpho...pe/vta1000.htm
>>
>> Brian.

> It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't spot that the OP was looking
specifically for an ATA.

Brian.