Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SIP & Skype

SIP & Skype

Brian A

>But surely most people have their computer running all the time anyway ?

Certainly not! My computer consumes 70W/hour. At 10p/unit, running
24/7 that would add over 60/year to the electricity bill - consider
that when you compare Skype to SIP Voip. SIP voip can run on an ATA
24/7 without the use of a computer.
I run my computer when I want to use it - not when I am doing other
things.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Phil Thompson

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:43:34 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My computer consumes 70W/hour.

units error.

> At 10p/unit,

you are being screwed, change supplier.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Peter

Phil Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
>> At 10p/unit,

> you are being screwed, change supplier.

That's not too bad if it's the initial rate X on a "first N units at X
p/kWh and Y p/kWh afterwards" deal, but if it's the ongoing rate, it's
pretty awful.

I'm paying 0p/kWh but I don't see any reason to take the **** with my
consumption, so I use energy saving bulbs and turn stuff off as if I
was paying for it.

--
The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is
unreadable and literature is unread.

Phil Thompson

On 07 Dec 2005 12:09:52 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Peter) wrote:

>That's not too bad if it's the initial rate X on a "first N units at X
>p/kWh and Y p/kWh afterwards" deal, but if it's the ongoing rate, it's
>pretty awful.

those initial rates are only for a handful of kWh so the marginal rate
should be in the 5-8p/kWh area

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Tim Clark

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>But surely most people have their computer running all the time anyway ?

> Certainly not! My computer consumes 70W/hour. At 10p/unit, running
> 24/7 that would add over 60/year to the electricity bill - consider
> that when you compare Skype to SIP Voip. SIP voip can run on an ATA
> 24/7 without the use of a computer.
> I run my computer when I want to use it - not when I am doing other
> things.

Remember that not everyone has a computer that requires a human chained
to it via mouse and keyboard in order for it to get on and do some
useful work. However, for those that have, many will be paying less
than 10p/unit, and if using electric heating, it's often zero additional
cost when that's on. There are many other pros and cons, from the wear
out of disk drives on one side to the thermal stresses of power on/off
on the other. It seems a pretty finely divided arguement between the two
camps of "leave on" and "turn off", that it would be no big deal to
allow its use for phone calls to tip the balance in favour of "leave
on".

--
Tim Clark

Julius

> ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter. Yes it is true that the
> conventional meaning of an ATA refers to a SIP device which operates
> without a computer.

It doesn't have to be SIP, it can be H323 or other protocols

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >But surely most people have their computer running all the time anyway ?

> Certainly not! My computer consumes 70W/hour.

You've got your dimensions wrong here. It is illogical to say
"consumes 70 watt per hour". A watt is already a joule per second,
so a watt per hour is a 1/3600 j/s/s.

Richard [in PE12]

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >But surely most people have their computer running all the time anyway ?

> Certainly not! My computer consumes 70W/hour.

You've got your dimensions wrong here. It is illogical to say
"consumes 70 watt per hour". A watt is already a joule per second,
so a watt per hour is a 1/3600 j/s/s.

What's a unit ? You mean a kilowatt.hour (a unit of energy,
being 1000 joule/second * 1 hour, which is 3.6MJ).

If this is costing you 10p a kWh, you are paying way over the odds.

Richard [in PE12]