Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIPCHEAP - is this typical sound quality VOIP?

VOIPCHEAP - is this typical sound quality VOIP?

Tom B

I've been using VOIPCHEAP for a few days to make (free after deposit of
UKP5) calls to UK landlines. I'm using headphones and mike, 512k
broadband. Sound quality varies a lot, but never as clear as normal
telephone.

Is the sound quality on VOIPCHEAP typical of VOIP?

Robert Maskill

Tom B wrote:
> I've been using VOIPCHEAP for a few days to make (free after deposit of
> UKP5) calls to UK landlines. I'm using headphones and mike, 512k
> broadband. Sound quality varies a lot, but never as clear as normal
> telephone.
>
> Is the sound quality on VOIPCHEAP typical of VOIP?

I must admit I have no problems with VOIPCheap and use it for all my UK
calls sound quality is fine as far as I am concerned, only difference to
your set-up is that I am on a 2Meg connection.

--
Robert Maskill - G4PYR - Peterborough Cambridgeshire
" People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it"

Scope

Tom B wrote:
> I've been using VOIPCHEAP for a few days to make (free after deposit of
> UKP5) calls to UK landlines. I'm using headphones and mike, 512k
> broadband. Sound quality varies a lot, but never as clear as normal
> telephone.
>
> Is the sound quality on VOIPCHEAP typical of VOIP?

I think the 512k line might be the problem.. I've been using VoIP for a
couple of months now, and Im very impressed. Im using an adapter, and
not headphones, so that might make a slight difference, but if you have
the right hardware (which isnt expensive) and a decent line (im on 2mb)
VoIP is very good.. In general anyway.

Try changing the codec to one of the lighter ones, might make a difference.

Peter

Scope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> I think the 512k line might be the problem.. I've been using VoIP
> for a couple of months now, and Im very impressed.

I used VoIP when I had a 512k line a couple of years ago, and it
worked just fine. The OP's problem is almost certainly because he's
using a PC-based softphone and unsuitable mic+speaker arrangement.

An ATA and a DECT phone make a very good combination.

--
He who can does; he who cannot teaches.
- George Bernard Shaw

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Peter:
> Scope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>> I think the 512k line might be the problem.. I've been using VoIP
>> for a couple of months now, and Im very impressed.

> I used VoIP when I had a 512k line a couple of years ago, and it
> worked just fine. The OP's problem is almost certainly because he's
> using a PC-based softphone and unsuitable mic+speaker arrangement.
>
> An ATA and a DECT phone make a very good combination.

Has anyone managed to get VoIP Cheap to work with an ATA?

yamyb100

No probs here (using crap mike,speakers and softphone on a old(ish)
pc).
2 Mb broadband
To Poland.

News Reader

Hi,

If you are using the VoipCheap softphone (software / software phone) if you
have not changed any of the options, specifically those relating to your
connection, then it is likely to still be using the configuration / options
optimised for dial-up users (low bandwidth [i.e. not broadband] users). If
you change the connection configuration (in the Tools -> Options menu
window) option from dial-up to high speed internet I believe / understand
the softphone (VoipCheap phone software) should use options / a
configuration optimised for high speed internet (e.g. / i.e. broadband /
etc.) and should consequently provide / ensure higher audio / call quality
(provided you have the necessary bandwidth!).

If you are interested: the current [mainstream / predominant] audio systems
/ technologies used (codecs) used in VoIP telephony are generally (and I
understand / believe specifically as concerns Finarea's operations) GSM for
low bandwidth / dial-up users (personally I think this is and find this
excellent [although it will not be / is not as good as a normal landline] -
it should be equivalent to earlier / old {e.g. perhaps previous /old
analogue} cellphone / mobile phone quality - it uses ~ 13kbps [a tiny / very
small fraction of a 512k ADSL / broadband connection / line]) and G.711a/u
for high(er) bandwidth / broadband users (this [essentially] IS the same as
the landline system / technology / quality - it uses ~ 64kbps).

E.g. / i.e. 13kbps out of 512kbps avilable on a 512kbps line // or 64kbps
out of 512kbps available on a 512kbps line (again actually a pretty small,
almost tiny, fraction of the total available bandwidth of that / a 512k
line).

Thus it is extremely unlikely that a 512k connection is ever likely to be
the problem / weak link unless it is extremely faulty and this should be
evidenced in everything you try and use that / the connection for (surfing,
e-mail, anything, etc.). It is most probably the configuration option /
issue in the softphone (the VoipCheap software / software phone) [or ....] .

It may, as one of the other posters suggested, be likely to be a result of
bad headphones, microphone and / or possibly soundcard (sound system /
equipment / etc. in / on the computer).

Hope that helps and for some is possibly at least slightly interesting or
providing some new information for you [for you some!] (for most I am sure
this is A B C 's ).

Best wishes,

News Reader

---