Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: IP phone Q.

Re: IP phone Q.

Jono

Phil Partridge wrote:
|| In article <12Kjf.458$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
|| <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
||| How're you coping with port forwarding to several phones?
||| It sounds to me like you could do with an Asterisk Server.
|| I'm not..
|| I have wired the office, and supplied an 8 port switch.
|| The router and phones have been supplied by a.n.other.
|| Used to look after an Ultrix system, but didn't get very far with an
|| early Linux distro.. Haven't had the time since, so wouldn't know where
|| to start with Asterisk.
|| In theory, the Client should save shouldn't they?
|| Asterisk box would come with the baggage of a service contract, need
|| space, care and attention. - Something lacking at this site.
|| Thanks for input though,
|| Phil Partridge

If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.

The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to forward
one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
coexist on the internal network.

If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at asterisk@home - it's
asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.

Also, a good resource for all things voip is http://voxilla.com - the forums
in particular.

x-posted to uk.t.voip

Phil Partridge

In article <byLjf.544$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Phil Partridge wrote:
>|| In article <12Kjf.458$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
>|| <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>|| I'm not..
>|| I have wired the office, and supplied an 8 port switch.
>|| The router and phones have been supplied by a.n.other.
>|| Used to look after an Ultrix system, but didn't get very far with an
>|| early Linux distro.. Haven't had the time since, so wouldn't know where
>|| to start with Asterisk.
>|| In theory, the Client should save shouldn't they?
>|| Asterisk box would come with the baggage of a service contract, need
>|| space, care and attention. - Something lacking at this site.
>|| Thanks for input though,
>|| Phil Partridge
>
>If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
>forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.
>
>The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to forward
>one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
>coexist on the internal network.
>
>If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at asterisk@home - it's
>asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.
>
>Also, a good resource for all things voip is http://voxilla.com - the forums
>in particular.
>
>x-posted to uk.t.voip

Thanks to all for comments and feedback.

It's only my problem, because I am on-site, and 'the techie'.
Apparently, the 'engineer' who was here today will return on Monday.. He
will have a replacement router, AND they are supposedly upgrading the
phones to Snoms (?sp).

This is apparently like swapping a Mondeo for a Rolls Royce.

Lets kill this on uk.t

Thanks again,
Philip Partridge

Phil Partridge

In article <byLjf.544$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Phil Partridge wrote:
>|| In article <12Kjf.458$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
>|| <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>|| I'm not..
>|| I have wired the office, and supplied an 8 port switch.
>|| The router and phones have been supplied by a.n.other.
>|| Used to look after an Ultrix system, but didn't get very far with an
>|| early Linux distro.. Haven't had the time since, so wouldn't know where
>|| to start with Asterisk.
>|| In theory, the Client should save shouldn't they?
>|| Asterisk box would come with the baggage of a service contract, need
>|| space, care and attention. - Something lacking at this site.
>|| Thanks for input though,
>|| Phil Partridge
>
>If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
>forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.
>
>The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to forward
>one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
>coexist on the internal network.
>
>If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at asterisk@home - it's
>asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.
>
>Also, a good resource for all things voip is http://voxilla.com - the forums
>in particular.
>
>x-posted to uk.t.voip

Hi Guys,

I will *try* to find time to read up more, honest..

So, port forwarding.. Are we talking router, or phone configuration
here?
Phones are set:
Local SIP port: 5060 (default)
Local RTP port: 5004 (1024-65535, default 5004)
Use random port: Yes
NAT Transversal: Yes, STUN Server is stun.gmx.net

Before they set 'use random' to 'on', did have a case of two of us
dialling out and ending up talking to each other.

TIA,
Philip Partridge

Jono

"Phil Partridge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jd+7dJA6q5jDFw$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <byLjf.544$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
>>forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.
>>
>>The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to
>>forward
>>one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
>>coexist on the internal network.
>>
>>If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at asterisk@home - it's
>>asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.
>>
>>Also, a good resource for all things voip is http://voxilla.com - the
>>forums
>>in particular.
>>
>>x-posted to uk.t.voip
>>

> Hi Guys,
>
> I will *try* to find time to read up more, honest..
>
> So, port forwarding.. Are we talking router, or phone configuration
> here?
> Phones are set:
> Local SIP port: 5060 (default)
> Local RTP port: 5004 (1024-65535, default 5004)
> Use random port: Yes
> NAT Transversal: Yes, STUN Server is stun.gmx.net
>
> Before they set 'use random' to 'on', did have a case of two of us
> dialling out and ending up talking to each other.
>
> TIA,
> Philip Partridge

Which VSP are you using? Is it a German one?

I would ensure each phone has a unique port in the 50xx range forwarded in
the router & set up in the phone, at the very least.