Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Uk calls to South Africa

Uk calls to South Africa

pinbrook@gmail.com

I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from my UK landline
to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South Africa.

The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I will pick up the
extra cost

In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup access and
onspeed

Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching

TIA

Joao Saraiva

I would suggest you to divert your present landline to a UK number from
Skype. Then you will pick up call / listen to the voice moil wherever you
are in the world.
I hope this helps
JS

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from my UK landline
> to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South Africa.
>
> The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I will pick up the
> extra cost
>
> In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup access and
> onspeed
>
> Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching
>
> TIA

Brian

On 2005-11-29, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from my UK landline
> to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South Africa.

Obtain a 01, 02 or 056 number. Magrathea Telecommunications with their
www.uknumber.co.uk site is one place to look. Email them if you do not
see exactly what you want. An alternative is www.voxhub.com.

> The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I will pick up the
> extra cost

With a BT line and the right telecoms provider a 056 number can be phoned
at the same rate as a geographic number.

> In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup access and
> onspeed

Sign up for a free voip account and get a SIP address. Voiptalk,
Gossiptel and Callunion will do this. Have your phone number point to
your SIP address.

Install some SIP software and set it up for your chosen VoIP provider.
Choose a low bandwidth codec.

> Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching

Test your setup before leaving. It should work in South Africa if it
works here.

VoIP providers may also give you a UK telephone number with a SIP
account. The ones above all do. Sipgate does it for free. A backup
account is something to consider.

Brian.

Ivor Jones

news:dmi62a$bbc$1$(E-Mail Removed)
> On 2005-11-29, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from
> > my UK landline to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South
> > Africa.

> Obtain a 01, 02 or 056 number. Magrathea
> Telecommunications with their www.uknumber.co.uk site is
> one place to look. Email them if you do not see exactly
> what you want. An alternative is www.voxhub.com.
>
> > The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I
> > will pick up the extra cost

> With a BT line and the right telecoms provider a 056
> number can be phoned at the same rate as a geographic
> number.
>
> > In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup
> > access and onspeed

> Sign up for a free voip account and get a SIP address.
> Voiptalk, Gossiptel and Callunion will do this. Have
> your phone number point to your SIP address.
>
> Install some SIP software and set it up for your chosen
> VoIP provider. Choose a low bandwidth codec.

Even with a low bandwidth codec, SIP over a dialup connection will be
flaky to say the least. Skype has been known to work on dialup, but I
can't in all honesty recommend it except for emergencies. If you want to
go that route, look at getting a Skype-In number, it will be an 020 London
prefix I think.

> > Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching

> Test your setup before leaving. It should work in South
> Africa if it works here.
>
> VoIP providers may also give you a UK telephone number
> with a SIP account. The ones above all do. Sipgate does
> it for free. A backup account is something to consider.

Sipgate, as with most SIP services, requires a broadband connection.

Ivor

Brian

On 2005-11-29, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dmi62a$bbc$1$(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Install some SIP software and set it up for your chosen
>> VoIP provider. Choose a low bandwidth codec.

> Even with a low bandwidth codec, SIP over a dialup connection will be
> flaky to say the least. Skype has been known to work on dialup, but I
> can't in all honesty recommend it except for emergencies. If you want to
> go that route, look at getting a Skype-In number, it will be an 020 London
> prefix I think.

Never having used SIP on a dialup connection I am unable confirm your
experience but, depending on how urgent it is for the OP to be contacted
in South Africa, he would read up on the codecs available, choose a
provider which offers a suitable codec and test thoroughly before he
departs. Perhaps having done that he might report back here with his
experiences.

As for Skype, if it does work well with a low bandwidth, and it claims
to, I cannot understand why it should be for emergency use only.

>> Test your setup before leaving. It should work in South
>> Africa if it works here.
>>
>> VoIP providers may also give you a UK telephone number
>> with a SIP account. The ones above all do. Sipgate does
>> it for free. A backup account is something to consider.

> Sipgate, as with most SIP services, requires a broadband connection.

You would have to point me at the relevant part of Sipgate's website to
convince me that broadband is a requirement for their service. I see
they do support some low bandwidth codecs; as do Gossiptel, Vonage and
others.

Brian.

Ivor Jones

news:dmia9t$stt$1$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> As for Skype, if it does work well with a low bandwidth,
> and it claims to, I cannot understand why it should be
> for emergency use only.

Because it requires a PC to be on. I don't much care for systems that
require a PC.

> You would have to point me at the relevant part of
> Sipgate's website to convince me that broadband is a
> requirement for their service. I see they do support
> some low bandwidth codecs; as do Gossiptel, Vonage and
> others.

Well it *might* work, but Sipgate say not, see here:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.p...ubrik=120#num4

See the 2nd paragraph in clause 4. It *might* work on dialup, I've never
tried it so I don't know, but I'd guess it would be rather flaky.

Ivor

cjd

Get an free account with Voipfone (www.voipfone.co.uk).
You get given a free 056 UK number.
Callers pay UK charges to dial it.
Set call divert to whatever ordinary telephone you are near in South
Africa using your laptop - change it whenever you need to. You pay
3.6p/min (inc VAT) to receive the UK call.

If you can't be reached you get left a message on free voicemail which
is also converted to MP3 and sent to your email.

If you can find a broadband connection of course you can use their free
softphone to take the calls directly (for free) on your laptop.

If you need to phone out, use their web call product to hi-jack any
ordinary telephone and connect your call from your account.

You can try the softphone using the low bandwidth codec but it's not
going to be a good experience.

Brian

On 2005-11-29, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dmia9t$stt$1$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
>> As for Skype, if it does work well with a low bandwidth,
>> and it claims to, I cannot understand why it should be
>> for emergency use only.

> Because it requires a PC to be on. I don't much care for systems that
> require a PC.

That may be the OP's sentiment too but he doesn't have much choice but
to use a SIP softphone or Skype.

>> You would have to point me at the relevant part of
>> Sipgate's website to convince me that broadband is a
>> requirement for their service. I see they do support
>> some low bandwidth codecs; as do Gossiptel, Vonage and
>> others.

> Well it *might* work, but Sipgate say not, see here:
>
> http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.p...ubrik=120#num4
>
> See the 2nd paragraph in clause 4. It *might* work on dialup, I've never
> tried it so I don't know, but I'd guess it would be rather flaky.

I see what you mean but there is software which might combat the dubious
audio quality to be expected on a dialup link. Firefly with iLBC and
speex might be worth trying.

Brian.

Peter

On 29 Nov 2005 06:35:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from my UK landline
>to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South Africa.
>
>The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I will pick up the
>extra cost
>
>In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup access and
>onspeed
>
>Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching
>
>TIA

Wherever you divert your number to, even Inmarsat, a caller to your
landline number will pay no more than he would have if you'd been
there to answer the call.

MCSE / MCSD exam cost in South Africa? Albert Truter MCSE 3 05-16-2007 04:03 PM
South Africa (Cape Town) Einstein MCSD 2 08-28-2004 05:24 PM
South Africa (Cape Town) Einstein MCSE 2 08-28-2004 05:24 PM
Programmers wanted in South Africa Derek Java 0 08-10-2004 09:34 PM
MCSE / MCSD exam cost in South Africa? Albert Truter MCSD 0 10-04-2003 11:19 AM

Advertisments