Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP Web dialer

VOIP Web dialer

chum

All,

I have this task of making a web dialer. A dialer that can be used to
make PC to PC and PC to PSTN calls using internet without downloading
any software(through a url). It should work for browsers like ie,
netscape, firefox etc.

My understanding is - i would either have to use Java Applet or ActiveX
componenet.
1. Which would be a better option to use?
2. Whichever is the best option - can anyone give me pointers of how
to go about it.
Note - I have a com library for codec support.

Regards,
chum

Martin²

Vonage have got one on their website, maybe you can have peek...
(haven't seen it, not a customer, but seems a good idea)
Regards,
Martin

alexd

chum wrote:

> All,
>
> I have this task of making a web dialer. A dialer that can be used to
> make PC to PC and PC to PSTN calls using internet without downloading
> any software(through a url). It should work for browsers like ie,
> netscape, firefox etc.
>
> My understanding is - i would either have to use Java Applet or ActiveX
> componenet.
> 1. Which would be a better option to use?
> 2. Whichever is the best option - can anyone give me pointers of how
> to go about it.
> Note - I have a com library for codec support.

ActiveX will only ever work with IE on Windows, a horribly clap-ridden
platform that nobody in their right mind should be using. It's basically
the same as running an executable in a browser window.

Probably Java would be your best bet. If you're brave, you could try Flash
or AJAX

18:41:25 up 20 days, 22:16, 4 users, load average: 0.78, 0.81, 0.68
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

chum

Thanks,
1. yes, java(applets) would be the right option for making it browser
independent. However, with that i would need codec library for
G729,GSM,G711 etc. written in java. I wonder if thats available at all.
I am not getting any information on the same.inputs?

2. Would it mandatory to use 'java' Sip Library as well?

Shelly

Trinidad Trinidad is offline
Junior Member

Hi there,

I used to have the same probelm but then i found this page, there was everything explaned so i could go on. Check out:
http://www.voip-sip-sdk.com/p_130-ho...code-voip.html

pavel.ismailov pavel.ismailov is offline
Junior Member

You can also try www.flashphoner.com

This is full-featured RTMP-SIP server for calls from browser.
It have built-in javascript phone, so that meets your needs...
You can simply create your own webdialer with that.

Functions:
- Audio - Speex, g.711, g.729
- Video - h.263, h.264
- SIP - calls, transfer, hold, DTMF, IM chat
- API - ActionScript, JavaScript
- Open source client
- Open source server java app

--