Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > point-to-point VOIP on a LAN

point-to-point VOIP on a LAN

Adrian B

I have got a couple of basic USB IP phones. Is there any software out there
which would allow me to connect PC-to-PC without going via Skype or
whatever. In other words, I just want to "dial" an IP address on our LAN.

I've Googled, but found nothing. Any ideas?

Phil Thompson

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:11:11 -0000, "Adrian B"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have got a couple of basic USB IP phones. Is there any software out there
>which would allow me to connect PC-to-PC without going via Skype or
>whatever. In other words, I just want to "dial" an IP address on our LAN.

any softphone client that allows IP dialling. X-ten Lite if you can
find it. Not sure which wil interact with your handheld USB soundcard.

Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
your party's IP-address using “PC-to-PC” services."

http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

etc

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Adrian B

"Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

It is! I'm a pretty decent Googler, but unfortunately don't know enough
about VoiP to know the right keywords.

> http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
> your party's IP-address using "PC-to-PC" services."
>
> http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

Thanks for the links. I'll follow them up.

Regards,

Adrian

Sparks

"Adrian B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

> It is! I'm a pretty decent Googler, but unfortunately don't know enough
> about VoiP to know the right keywords.
>>
>> http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
>> your party's IP-address using "PC-to-PC" services."
>>
>> http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

> Thanks for the links. I'll follow them up.

The other way is to install Asterisk on a PC, then you get a proper internal
phone system with support for outbound routing, and your internal extension
will get short numbers!

I use Asterisk@home (http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/)

Sparks...