Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Incoming PSTN calls

Incoming PSTN calls

Cogs

Hi All

I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls. Sometimes the i
can answer with no problems but other times although the phone will ring
when answered it is dead. The person ringing in does not realise the
phone has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am using a
ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.

Any ideas?

Ivor Jones

"Cogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4375ff6f$0$343$(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi All
>
> I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls.
> Sometimes the i can answer with no problems but other
> times although the phone will ring when answered it is
> dead. The person ringing in does not realise the phone
> has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am
> using a ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.
> Any ideas?

Which network..?

Ivor

Joe Harrison

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Cogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4375ff6f$0$343$(E-Mail Removed)
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls.
> > Sometimes the i can answer with no problems but other
> > times although the phone will ring when answered it is
> > dead. The person ringing in does not realise the phone
> > has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am
> > using a ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.
> > Any ideas?

> Which network..?

I get this with Sipgate; I'm at work and phone home to the Sipgate number.
It rings and rings for a long time but no reply. Then I call my wife's
mobile and find she is at home but although she answered the Sipgate phone
immediately it just went dead and she hung it up again.

Cogs

I am using Voiptalk

Thanks

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Cogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4375ff6f$0$343$(E-Mail Removed)
>
>>Hi All
>>
>>I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls.
>>Sometimes the i can answer with no problems but other
>>times although the phone will ring when answered it is
>>dead. The person ringing in does not realise the phone
>>has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am
>>using a ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.
>>Any ideas?

> Which network..?
>
> Ivor

Cogs

The Voip number seems ok, it is just the PSTN number that causes a
problem however the fault is the same as yours, wierd.

Thanks

Joe Harrison wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>"Cogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:4375ff6f$0$343$(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>>>Hi All
>>>
>>>I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls.
>>>Sometimes the i can answer with no problems but other
>>>times although the phone will ring when answered it is
>>>dead. The person ringing in does not realise the phone
>>>has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am
>>>using a ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.
>>>Any ideas?

>>Which network..?

> I get this with Sipgate; I'm at work and phone home to the Sipgate number.
> It rings and rings for a long time but no reply. Then I call my wife's
> mobile and find she is at home but although she answered the Sipgate phone
> immediately it just went dead and she hung it up again.

Ivor Jones

"Joe Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w2rdf.2458$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> I get this with Sipgate; I'm at work and phone home to
> the Sipgate number. It rings and rings for a long time
> but no reply. Then I call my wife's mobile and find she
> is at home but although she answered the Sipgate phone
> immediately it just went dead and she hung it up again.

I just did some tests with my Sipgate lines, all ring ok when I call them
from my mobile, sometimes there is a second or two delay after I answer
before the speech path is switched through, but 99% of the time it's fine.

Ivor

Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}

In message <w2rdf.2458$(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe Harrison wrote:

> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Cogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4375ff6f$0$343$(E-Mail Removed)
>> > Hi All
>> >
>> > I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls.
>> > Sometimes the i can answer with no problems but other
>> > times although the phone will ring when answered it is
>> > dead. The person ringing in does not realise the phone
>> > has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am
>> > using a ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.
>> > Any ideas?

>> Which network..?

> I get this with Sipgate; I'm at work and phone home to the Sipgate number.
> It rings and rings for a long time but no reply. Then I call my wife's
> mobile and find she is at home but although she answered the Sipgate phone
> immediately it just went dead and she hung it up again.

Having just configured a Sipura box on Sipgate, that has happened to me a
couple of times while testing. I also had an issue once with a VOIP call
which is what made me wonder if it was a firewall issue this end.
--
Dave
mail da http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (without the space)

Joe Harrison

I've modified my SPA3000 settings a bit but mostly they are still the
default US ones. I'm wondering if it has difficulty detecting that the DECT
phone has gone off-hook. I'll post in here if I find anything.

Cogs

Hi

Thanks for your input, if i find anything else out i will let you know
Cheers

Cogs wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have an intermittent problem with incoming PSTN calls. Sometimes the i
> can answer with no problems but other times although the phone will ring
> when answered it is dead. The person ringing in does not realise the
> phone has been answered. VOIP incoming calls seem fine. I am using a
> ZyXEL P2602HWL which is the lifeline version.
>
> Any ideas?

Ivor Jones

"Joe Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsQDdf.2255$(E-Mail Removed)
> I've modified my SPA3000 settings a bit but mostly they
> are still the default US ones. I'm wondering if it has
> difficulty detecting that the DECT phone has gone
> off-hook. I'll post in here if I find anything.

The ATA has no way of knowing (nor does it really care..!) what type of
phone you have connected, whether it is a DECT or a wired one. It will
however expect the phone to conform to the regional specifications for the
line settings, such as FXS port impedance. For the US it is 600 ohms, for
a UK specification phone it should be 270+750||150nF.

This may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but it's worth
checking.

I have a full list of UK settings for the Sipura SPA-2000 if they're of
any help, the 3000 is very similar except for the PSTN port.

Ivor