Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Click-to-dial from Sipgate's on-line phonebook - does it work?!

Reply
Thread Tools

Click-to-dial from Sipgate's on-line phonebook - does it work?!

 
 
Red Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2005
Dear Group,

I have tried, without success to get Sipgate click-to-dial functionality to
work, namely, from the on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call
against any listed phone number (showing on either the Home, Calls or
Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that Sipgate's servers make a
call to your (currently registered) phone, and when answered it completes
the other half of the call to number selected. However, this isn't quite
what happens (for me at least!). What happens is:

1. Log in to my account page at www.sipgate.co.uk
2. Click on the "Call" link against the desired number (Sipgate's test
10000 number for example)
3. A new, small, Internet Explorer window opens and my phone rings.
4. I answer my phone and hear nothing.
5. The Internet Explorer window updates and displays "Fault. Incorrect
call".

I've tried this with X-Lite and now with my newly purchase Linksys PAP2. My
partner has also tried it from their Sipgate account.

I've also e-mailed Sipgate support both when I first had the problem and
again since the problem is continuing now that I've got a hardware adapter,
but, as yet, no luck there!

Does anyone else have the same problem? Has anyone else got it working and
knows a fix, or simply had it working for the start?

Thanks in advance,
Dave.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2005
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:47:49 -0000, "Red Dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone else got it working and
>knows a fix, or simply had it working for the start?


I've never tried it before, but your question prompted me to give it a
go.

Click the link, and the small window opens. The VOIP line rings. I
answer it. No ringing tone, nothing at all, but about three seconds
later the called number rings, and I answer it. Call working as
normal.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2005


"Red Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Dear Group,
>
> I have tried, without success to get Sipgate
> click-to-dial functionality to work, namely, from the
> on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call against
> any listed phone number (showing on either the Home,
> Calls or Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that
> Sipgate's servers make a call to your (currently
> registered) phone, and when answered it completes the
> other half of the call to number selected. However, this
> isn't quite what happens (for me at least!).


[snip]

It's never worked for me, no idea why. It doesn't really bother me as it's
far easier simply to dial the number, given that my phones are on the
other side of the room from the PC..!

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin²
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005
hairydog:
>Click the link, and the small window opens. The VOIP line rings. I
>answer it. No ringing tone, nothing at all, but about three seconds
>later the called number rings, and I answer it. Call working as
>normal.


Never worked for me either. By coincidence I was trying it again this
afternoon.
I have one DECT phone connected to Draytek router way up in the attic.
If this worked as it should, it would allow me to make calls on line 2 using
phone on line 1,
which would be very useful (specially if I could get sipdiscount to work on
the draytek !)

What is your VoIP equipment please ?
Thanks,
Regards,
Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Red Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005
"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> "Red Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Dear Group,
>>
>> I have tried, without success to get Sipgate
>> click-to-dial functionality to work, namely, from the
>> on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call against
>> any listed phone number (showing on either the Home,
>> Calls or Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that
>> Sipgate's servers make a call to your (currently
>> registered) phone, and when answered it completes the
>> other half of the call to number selected. However, this
>> isn't quite what happens (for me at least!).

>
> [snip]
>
> It's never worked for me, no idea why. It doesn't really bother me as it's
> far easier simply to dial the number, given that my phones are on the
> other side of the room from the PC..!
>
> Ivor


Hmmm... so, one yes and two no's so far, this doesn't bode well! I guess
what would be most helpful is if there was someone else out there who didn't
have the functionality working, but has somehow managed to fix it. Should
it help, here's a little more detail about my set-up:

ADSL line -> ADSL modem/router (Samsung)
-> firewall/proxy (Smoothwall)
-> hub (standard 8-port-nothing-fancy type)
-> Linksys PAP2 ATA adapter
-> conventional BT-style telephone.

Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am able to make and
receive calls via my telephone and my Sipgate account. Also, the fact that
Sipgates click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I was using
X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's nothing wrong my end. It does seem
like a Sipgate problem to me...

Anyone?!!

Dave.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005


"Red Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am able
> to make and receive calls via my telephone and my Sipgate
> account. Also, the fact that Sipgates click-to-dial
> service rings my phone (as it did when I was using
> X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's nothing wrong my
> end. It does seem like a Sipgate problem to me...


I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of the Grandstream
phones and it works fine for him. It's just never worked for any of my
ATA's.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:43:52 -0000, "Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is your VoIP equipment please ?


An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use the ATA as a
router) because although it worked without (presumably using uPnP) it
wasn't reliable.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005


"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Red Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
> > Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am
> > able to make and receive calls via my telephone and my
> > Sipgate account. Also, the fact that Sipgates
> > click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I
> > was using X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's
> > nothing wrong my end. It does seem like a Sipgate
> > problem to me...

>
> I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of
> the Grandstream phones and it works fine for him. It's
> just never worked for any of my ATA's.
>
> Ivor


In light of this thread, I've just done a few tests. I can call between my
own numbers fine using click to dial, but I tried two other people and it
failed both times. One of them obviously had the phone ring, becase a few
minutes afterwards I got a call back saying were you trying to call me..?!
He said when he answered he got nothing at all, which is exactly what I
got.

Very strange..

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:43:52 -0000, "Martin²"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > What is your VoIP equipment please ?

>
> An ATA box bought from Sipgate.


Which one..?

> I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use
> the ATA as a router) because although it worked without
> (presumably using uPnP) it wasn't reliable.


Some devices do seem to like this. I had a combination once that flatly
refused to work until I put the ATA in the router's DMZ, no matter what
STUN or forwarding settings I used.

I'm using the AVM Fritz!Box Fon (also from Sipgate) now and that works
like a dream, I even have an additional ATA plugged into its' LAN port for
an additional 2 numbers, no mucking about with port forwarding or DMZ at
all, it just works..!

I still don't get reliable results with click to dial though, see my other
post.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2005
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:00:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

>
>Which one..?


HandyTone-486

As far as I know that's the only one they have ever sold.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phonebook software? ~misfit~ NZ Computing 6 01-19-2010 08:35 AM
"Error 623 The system could not find the phonebook entry for this connection" What does it mean? Juan I. Cahis Firefox 1 05-16-2006 08:02 PM
Cisco Call Manager PhoneBook vonazas Cisco 1 08-01-2005 04:47 PM
Cisco IP Phone 7940, phonebook web based? Tony Randine - Modello di Versags e amico di Confalonieri Cisco 0 05-24-2004 04:02 PM
WTD: Alcatel speedtouch phonebook.ini WIlliam Hamilton NZ Computing 1 10-22-2003 08:10 PM



Advertisments