Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Backlash against free internet calls

Backlash against free internet calls

Dave Gill

From this week's New scientist:

"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
internet protocol (VoIP) technology."

Here's a link to the full article:

http://tinyurl.com/chzku

peter

Dave Gill wrote:
> From this week's New scientist:
>
> "MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
> internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
> internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
>
> Here's a link to the full article:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/chzku
>
> --
> The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bloody Luddites, that's what they are !

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Gill) wrote:

>From this week's New scientist:
>
>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
>
>Here's a link to the full article:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
Yahoo communicator
pete

Brian A

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:34:38 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
>(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Gill) wrote:
>
>>From this week's New scientist:
>>
>>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
>>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
>>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
>>
>>Here's a link to the full article:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

>BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
>Yahoo communicator
>pete

I would hope that the government would legislate against ISPs etc., if
this occurs here, as is stifles compeitition.
Fortunately it looks like BT have accepted that calls will go to voip
as it does offer its own voip service.
I think the main problem here might be where ISPs play dirty tricks
to get people to use their own brand of voip. It is that that may
require legislation.
If Ofcom do nothing to stop it then will will have to be letters,
pronto, to the MPs to sort it out. Knowing Parliament's incapacity to
comprehend technical matters that could be a lengthy procedure.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Sean

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Dave Gill) wrote:
>
>>From this week's New scientist:

>>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
>>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
>>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
>>
>>Here's a link to the full article:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

> BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
> Yahoo communicator
> pete

Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP service..........

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:23:22 +0100, Sean
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Dave Gill) wrote:
>>
>>>From this week's New scientist:

>>>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
>>>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
>>>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
>>>
>>>Here's a link to the full article:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

>> BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
>> Yahoo communicator
>> pete

>Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP service..........

It ISN'T a real voip service I have asked technical support about it
you HAVE to use MS messenger with it and can only contact other F2S
customers with it .

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Dave Gill:
> From this week's New scientist:
>
> "MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to
> the internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice
> over internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
>
> Here's a link to the full article:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/chzku

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct05/1846

Dave Gill

Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would hope that the government would legislate against ISPs etc., if
> this occurs here, as is stifles compeitition.
> Fortunately it looks like BT have accepted that calls will go to voip
> as it does offer its own voip service.
> I think the main problem here might be where ISPs play dirty tricks
> to get people to use their own brand of voip. It is that that may
> require legislation.
> If Ofcom do nothing to stop it then will will have to be letters,
> pronto, to the MPs to sort it out. Knowing Parliament's incapacity to
> comprehend technical matters that could be a lengthy procedure.

Well so far Ofcom's attitude seems to be that VoIP is healthy
competition for the fixed line providers, so maybe there would be a
reasonably quick response if some of the telcos started playing tricks.

Ivor Jones

"Dave Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:1h4unr5.1se19831dz4zx2N%(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Well so far Ofcom's attitude seems to be that VoIP is
> healthy competition for the fixed line providers, so
> maybe there would be a reasonably quick response if some
> of the telcos started playing tricks.

Could prove interesting for overseas travel though if traffic is routed
via those countries trying to block VoIP. Or if you are using a provider
based in such a country.

Ivor

Sean

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:23:22 +0100, Sean
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
>>>Yahoo communicator
>>>pete

>>Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP service..........

> It ISN'T a real voip service I have asked technical support about it
> you HAVE to use MS messenger with it and can only contact other F2S
> customers with it .

I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?