Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > How to get extra lines with SPA-3000?

How to get extra lines with SPA-3000?

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:23:57 GMT, in uk.telecom.voip , Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Telewest charge me 14.99/month for broadband (rising to 17.99 twelve
>months from the start of the contract). That is it!

/including/ phone line? Or you're saying you don't have one? I agree
I could ditch my phone entirely, and pay only 25 quid for the
broadband. However I'd then have no phone for emergency calls, no way
for anyone to call me if my router died or I blew a fuse at the wrong
time etc etc etc. YMMV of course.

Brian A

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:01:52 +0000, Mark McIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:23:57 GMT, in uk.telecom.voip , Brian A
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Telewest charge me 14.99/month for broadband (rising to 17.99 twelve
>>months from the start of the contract). That is it!

>/including/ phone line? Or you're saying you don't have one?

Correct! Don't have one.
> I agree
>I could ditch my phone entirely, and pay only 25 quid for the
>broadband.

I guess that you have a faster connection than me, for 25....mine is
only 512k but it is going up to 2M soon.
>However I'd then have no phone for emergency calls, no way
>for anyone to call me if my router died or I blew a fuse at the wrong
>time etc etc etc. YMMV of course.

If I want to make an emergency call I have 3 mobiles in various parts
of the house. My voip provider does 999s - supposedly - though I
haven't tried it out. Obviously though, it is only as reliable as my
broadband service.
For the short time that someone might not be able to get me on my
landline they can call my mobile. I only give out my 'landline' number
to a handful of people anyway.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Ivor Jones

"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:23:57 GMT, in uk.telecom.voip ,
> Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Telewest charge me 14.99/month for broadband (rising
> > to 17.99 twelve months from the start of the
> > contract). That is it!

> /including/ phone line? Or you're saying you don't have
> one? I agree
> I could ditch my phone entirely, and pay only 25 quid for
> the
> broadband. However I'd then have no phone for emergency
> calls, no way
> for anyone to call me if my router died or I blew a fuse
> at the wrong
> time etc etc etc. YMMV of course.

Most (but I agree not all) people have a mobile these days, which could be
used for emergency calls.

Ivor

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:12:34 -0000, in uk.telecom.voip , "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Most (but I agree not all) people have a mobile these days, which could be
>used for emergency calls.

Two words: flat battery.

You'll have 'em rolling in the aisles with your tales of delivering
twins at home 'cos your mobe battery was flat and the babies came
during a power cut...

Its an interesting point tho. All our existing POTS phones are
cordless -> they all need power to the base unit to work. So
technically in a powercut we're dead. I therefore keep a crappy old
line-powered phone in a cupboard so we can at least phone the power
company and report the fault.

I suppose the ideal is to get a UPS on your router & ATA & at least
one phone. *more* costs...

Peter

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> I suppose the ideal is to get a UPS on your router & ATA & at least
> one phone. *more* costs...

Since I have the UPS in a suitable location anyway for other reasons,
I have a DECT cordless on the UPS *and* a dumb-as-bricks line-powered
phone both attached to my BT line for when the UPS goes flat.

The latter phone doesn't even have programmable memories, but that's
alright as the power's dodgy enough round here that I know Central
Networks' fault report and complaints line off by heart by now

UPSes aren't *too* expensive, but given they're full of lead-filled
batteries, the shipping can be a bit of a killer, so find a supplier
that charges by order price rather than weight. Alternatively, you
could always bodge a "dead" UPS with a few car batteries.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) for full key

Ivor Jones

"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:12:34 -0000, in uk.telecom.voip ,
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Most (but I agree not all) people have a mobile these
> > days, which could be used for emergency calls.

> Two words: flat battery.

Two more words - spare battery..! I have at least one spare battery for
each of my mobiles, with a desk charger that will charge it off the phone.
The main one gets charged from the car kit anyway. Never found myself with
a flat battery and no spare in 10 years of using mobiles. Not once. Ever.
It's called planning.

> You'll have 'em rolling in the aisles with your tales of
> delivering twins at home 'cos your mobe battery was
> flat and the babies came during a power cut...

If you're too lazy to make sure you have a charged battery in your mobile,
knowing it would be your only means of contact in an emergency, whose
fault is that..?

> Its an interesting point tho. All our existing POTS
> phones are cordless -> they all need power to the
> base unit to work. So technically in a powercut
> we're dead. I therefore keep a crappy old
> line-powered phone in a cupboard so we can at
> least phone the power company and report the fault.

All DECT phone manuals I've seen tell you to keep an ordinary phone
plugged in at all times for just this reason. I personally don't like
cordless landline phones, I prefer wired ones. I do have one for times
when I need to go walkabout, but it's rarely used. My PABX is set to ring
designated extensions all over the house on all lines, both POTS and VoIP
so I'm always within earshot/reach of one.

> I suppose the ideal is to get a UPS on your router & ATA
> & at least one phone. *more* costs...

Any system that needs to be usable in case of power failure should be run
off a UPS. That's basic, surely..?

Ivor

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:49:13 -0000, in uk.telecom.voip , "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:12:34 -0000, in uk.telecom.voip ,
>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> > Most (but I agree not all) people have a mobile these
>> > days, which could be used for emergency calls.

>> Two words: flat battery.

>Two more words - spare battery..! I have at least one spare battery for
>each of my mobiles, with a desk charger that will charge it off the phone.

Desk chargers/ Another cost....

>The main one gets charged from the car kit anyway. Never found myself with
>a flat battery and no spare in 10 years of using mobiles. Not once. Ever.

Mine is always going flat. I don't drive. Spare batteries are pretty
expensive.

>If you're too lazy to make sure you have a charged battery in your mobile,
>knowing it would be your only means of contact in an emergency, whose
>fault is that..?

Batteries die. Mobes get used rarely by some people.

>> I suppose the ideal is to get a UPS on your router & ATA
>> & at least one phone. *more* costs...

>Any system that needs to be usable in case of power failure should be run
>off a UPS. That's basic, surely..?

So now my "cost saving" of 10.50 a month has to be adjusted by the
cost of an ATA, the cost of my VOIP provider, the cost of a spare
mobile phone battery (and possibly the cost of a mobile phone) a
special doodad to charge the phone battery separately from the phone,
the cost of a UPS for my ATA, fixed line phone and router, and the
cost of electricity to run all that.

I guess its probably still cheaper, but...

hairydog@despammed.com

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:03:55 +0000, Mark McIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I suppose the ideal is to get a UPS on your router & ATA & at least
>one phone. *more* costs...

We have the router, the ATAs the cordless phone base station and a few
other "vital" devices connected to a UPS. Have done for years.

As for this idea about mobiles having flat batteries, that's stupid.

Li-Ion batteries don't benefit from being discharged, so charge the
phone every few days as a matter of routine, and it will never have a
flat battery.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html