Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > London Geographic Number

London Geographic Number

Eliodeo

Hi,

can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
connection).

Thx

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:14:28 +0200, "Eliodeo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
>at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
>I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
>connection).
>
>Thx

Get someone with a UK IP to set it up for you .

Ivor Jones

"Eliodeo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LMV1f.44441$(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi,
>
> can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic
> number for free or at least with no monthly fees (just
> the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and I can't get it
> from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
> connection).

Yes, you can only get a UK geographic number from a UK IP address. I
believe there are proxy servers you can use to get around this but I'm not
sure how they work. Alternatively if you know anyone in the UK get them to
set up the account for you.

Ivor

Sean

Eliodeo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
> at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
> I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
> connection).
>
> Thx

0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:29:40 +0100, Sean
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Eliodeo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
>> at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
>> I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
>> connection).
>>
>> Thx
>>

>0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please 0207 will
always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter what one or two of you
correctness merchants think . Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse
to that change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but it is far
easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than 020 7254 7772 .
Just because someone sat in an office somewhere decides to change
things around it doesn't mean we all have to follow like a flock of
sheep .

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:29:40 +0100, Sean
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Eliodeo wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > can you tell me which providers offer a 0207
> > > geographic number for free or at least with no
> > > monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the
> > > UK and I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they
> > > check the IP address of my connection).
> > >
> > > Thx
> > >

> > 0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

> Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please
> 0207 will always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter
> what one or two of you correctness merchants think .

It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)

For people to dial a number correctly they must know the correct format.
It doesn't matter outside London I agree but it's *very* important inside
it and for the sake of simplicity alone it's better if a common format is
used.

It's why I believe we'd be better off with a common numbering format for
the whole country, but perhaps uk.telecom would be a better place for that
discussion, although it's already been done to death there.

> Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse to that
> change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but
> it is far easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than
> 020 7254 7772 .

But not to dial if you happen to be in London.

Ivor

Anon Y Mous

> Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please 0207 will
> always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter what one or two of you
> correctness merchants think . Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse
> to that change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but it is far
> easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than 020 7254 7772 .
> Just because someone sat in an office somewhere decides to change
> things around it doesn't mean we all have to follow like a flock of
> sheep .

But why pander to stupidity? Do these people dial the full area code
inside London as well? London has EIGHT DIGIT LOCAL NUMBERS! The whole
point of changing from 7 to eight digits was to increase number
capacity, it would be an utterly pointless exercise if all that happened
was 0171->0207 and 0181->0208.

I guess it will be extremely frightening when numbers beginning with
something other than 7 or 8 start being released as will soon happen,
IIRC numbers beginning with 3 are due to be released shortly. I notice
the same utter stupidity in other parts of the country as well with
Cardiff folk thinking 02920 is their area code and Bristol people
thinking their's is 01179!!!

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:02:17 +0100, Anon Y Mous <..@..> wrote:

>But why pander to stupidity?

he's on cable. He lives on stupidity.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:56:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
>through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
>happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)

If you dial the full number 0207 xxx xxxx in London it will still
connect to the number you want. I seem to remember when the 01
for London was changed BT making a big splash saying for London
we all had to dial 0207 and 0208 instead of 01. Now that it would seem
is not good enough . Why should the rest of us have to change just for
the sake of people in London let them dial the FULL number. This is
like a re run of the change from our old currency to the metric
system and now it is quite likely but heaven forbid we are all going
to have to change to the Euro .
It really is time things stud still for a while all this chopping and
changing just can't be doing anyone any good except for the pillocks
sat in offices dreaming up these changes and getting paid more in a
month than I get paid in a year for doing it .

JC

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:02:17 +0100, Anon Y Mous <..@..> wrote:

>But why pander to stupidity? Do these people dial the full area code
>inside London as well? London has EIGHT DIGIT LOCAL NUMBERS! The whole

Sadly, most people in London now appear to dial the full number rather
than the 8 digit local version. People i've shown 8 digit dialing seem
amazed and confused as to how it's possible!

This seems to be due to the fact that for 10 years (from 01 > 071/081
in 1990 to the remerging as 020 7/8 in 2000) it was only possible to
call across town using the full number.

>point of changing from 7 to eight digits was to increase number
>capacity, it would be an utterly pointless exercise if all that happened
>was 0171->0207 and 0181->0208.

It was. It would have been much simpler and cheaper for all if they'd
just added additional overlay codes as they do in the US. Effectively,
as far as most people are concerned that's just what's happening
anyway with 020-3.

These number changes seem to occur around every 5 years so I guess
we're due for another one any day. 01 for London anyone?

Rgds
Jonathan