Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk

Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk

SidKnee

I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.

However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.

Can anyone offer advice?

Sidkney

Ivor Jones

"SidKnee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message newsIN1f.9519$(E-Mail Removed)
> I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.
>
> However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP
> compatible and can beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse
> FWD actively.
> Can anyone offer advice?
>
> Sidkney

Can you explain what you mean by use with FWD simultaneously..? Sipgate
etc. are independent services like FWD, I don't understand what you mean
by use simultaneously. If you mean use both services at the same time then
yes you can but you would need an ATA with two or more independent phone
ports like the Sipura 2000.

Ivor

Brian A

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:03:57 GMT, "SidKnee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.
>
>However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
>beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.
>
>Can anyone offer advice?
>
>Sidkney

If you want to use more than one outgoing provider then you will need
to choose your ATA carefully.
However, this all depends on whether you are able to set up the ATA.
If you feel confident to do that then I wouldn't go for any of the
providers you mentioned.
Do your outgoing calls on voipbuster (free UK calls) and use voipfone
as a main provider because it is polished and relatively reliable.
Voipfone do sell ATAs. They may be ready set to operate on their
system (check) but won't be locked(afaik).
Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in 5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
are free but if you want a geographic it is 2/month. If you go for a
free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
standard landline.
The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
phone (if you have one).
In answer, though, to your specific question. I don't think that there
will be much to choose between Vonage and Free talk - but Free talk is
cheaper to run. As far as Sipgate is concerned - well my experience is
negative. Good if you want a free geographic number - not so good if
you want reliability.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Mark Adamson

> The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
> 4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
> phone (if you have one).

I agree with you on everything. Just to be pedantic, however, the Sipura
3000 ATA supports more than 4 outgoing providers as you can actually put
providers details straight in the dial plan itself.

Mark

GwG

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in 5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
> are free but if you want a geographic it is 2/month. If you go for a
> free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
> as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
> standard landline.

Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:52:54 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In answer, though, to your specific question. I don't think that there
>will be much to choose between Vonage and Free talk - but Free talk is
>cheaper to run.

You are right with what you say here Brian having had FT for a day or
two now and also having Vonage the service is more or less the same
between the two the main differences being with Vonage you can contact
them 24/7 with FT it is Monday to Friday only and for some reason they
close at 5.30 OUR TIME even though they are based in Nevada 8 hours
behind us .The only other difference is that Vonage are on a 0800
number FT on a 0871 .
> As far as Sipgate is concerned - well my experience is
>negative.

Very negative has been my experience
> Good if you want a free geographic number - not so good if
>you want reliability.

Most definitely .

Paul Westwell

I you want no nonsense plug it in and use it go for Vonage or Freetalk. Yes
you pay a monthly subscription but your local/national calls are all
inclusive as are all the features including a geographic number.

I am using Vonage at present, also have a freetalk box and both services are
very good and will continue to improve over time.

There is no emergency calls on Freetalk yet but it is coming.

Vonage support is good and free should you need it.

The freetalk box is very neat, if you cannot get this working quickly then
I'd give up with VOIP as I cannot imagine anything been much easier.

Vonage has some cleaver forwarding features. Firstly should you internet or
voange service fail then your incoming calls will be automatically diverted
to a number you predefine on the Voange web interface (possibly your
mobile). Secondly you have simuring where you can effectively forward calls
to a number of numbers that all ring together.. There are also hunt groups
if you have more then 1 Vonage line.

For approximately 30p per day I believe its value for money assuming you use
the phone in the first place!

Regards,

Paul

"SidKnee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsIN1f.9519$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.
>
> However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
> beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.
>
> Can anyone offer advice?
>
> Sidkney

Sean

GwG wrote:
> "Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in 5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
>>are free but if you want a geographic it is 2/month. If you go for a
>>free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
>>as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
>>standard landline.

> Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
> of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
> to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

If a NTL user signs up to 1899 or 18866 they will be able to call them
(Screw NTL, i'd tell them where to stick there service if they were
providing me with a not fully functional service)

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:13:18 GMT, "GwG"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
>of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
>to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

based on my Usenet experiences I would see this as a massive advantage
for 056 numbers.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:45:04 GMT, "Paul Westwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The freetalk box is very neat, if you cannot get this working quickly then
>I'd give up with VOIP as I cannot imagine anything been much easier.

After my experiences this week with FT I don't agree Paul it took no
less than three replacement boxes from our local curry's store and two
firmware upgrades before the monthly box kicked into life. The yearly
box from Dixons just didn't want to know no matter what I did when I
connected it to our TW Cable modem I was about to give up and decided
to try it on our ADSL router and it fired up first time and is working
just great .
FT support person did tell me earlier in the week that they found many
of the monthly boxes to be faulty .I don't think anyone will beat
Vonage for good all round reliability and easy set up FT on the other
hand is just fine once it is working .

Freetalk taken over by Vonage dv UK VOIP 21 09-02-2006 02:11 PM
Freetalk transfering to Vonage!"! ^^artnada^^ UK VOIP 10 09-01-2006 06:19 PM
Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference duncan.perrett@elekta.com UK VOIP 28 05-18-2006 10:03 PM
Vonage or Freetalk BB UK VOIP 9 05-05-2006 09:27 AM
SIPGATE SEEMS RUBBISH - Back to Freetalk or Vonage for me! Maureen UK VOIP 13 12-12-2005 01:20 PM

Advertisments