Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Fwd: Switching to VoIP--O'Reilly's latest release

Fwd: Switching to VoIP--O'Reilly's latest release

davew

Recieved this in my email:

VoIP has advanced Internet-based telephony to a viable solution, piquing
the interest of companies small and large. Developed from real-world
experience by a senior developer, O'Reilly's "Switching to VoIP" provides
solutions for the most common VoIP migration challenges.

If you're a network professional who is migrating from a traditional
telephony system to a modern, feature-rich network, this book is a
must-have. You'll discover the strengths and weaknesses of
circuit-switched and packet-switched networks, how VoIP systems impact
network infrastructure, as well as solutions for common challenges
involved with IP voice migrations. Among the challenges discussed and
projects presented:

-building a softPBX
-configuring IP phones
-ensuring quality of service
-scalability
-standards-compliance
-topological considerations
-coordinating a complete system ?switchover?
-migrating applications like voicemail and directory services
-retro-interfacing to traditional telephony
-supporting mobile users
-security and survivability
-dealing with the challenges of NAT

You'll learn how to build an IP-based or legacy-compatible phone system
and voicemail system complete with e-mail integration while becoming
familiar with VoIP protocols and devices. "Switching to VoIP" remains
vendor-neutral and advocates standards, not brands. If VoIP has your
attention, this book will help you build your own system, install it, and
begin making calls. It's the only thing left between you and a modern
telecom network.

To order your copy or for more information, see:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/switchingvoip/
or call 1-800-998-9938
or email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Switching to VoIP
By Theodore Wallingford
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0-596-00868-6, 502 pages, $39.95 US, $55.95 CA
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/switchingvoip/

"Manage My Newsletters" link.

For assistance, email (E-Mail Removed)

O'Reilly Media, Inc.
1005 Gravenstein Highway North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
(707) 827-7000

Ivor Jones

"davew" <daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Recieved this in my email:

[rest of blatant advert snipped]

So..?

Ivor

Heimo Hetl

Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [rest of blatant advert snipped]
> So..?

It's a decent book nonetheless. IMHO.

cheers
Heimo

--
l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Ivor Jones

"Heimo Hetl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1h3qd74.90lbxxub6qoyN%(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > [rest of blatant advert snipped]
> > So..?

> It's a decent book nonetheless. IMHO.
>
> cheers
> Heimo

Maybe, but a non-advertisement group isn't the place to advertise it..!
There are groups specifically set aside for the purpose, this isn't one of
them.

Ivor

Ian

> So..?
>
> Ivor

Well, These are some of the best "technical" books avalible. and it is of
interest to anyone who has a tecnical interest in deploying voip solutions.
You may be happy with a ATA lashed to a 15+ year old analog PBX but some
people here are deploying comercial solutions and this will a usefull
referance book.
This wasnt an advert, Dave just forwarded an email he had received.

If you keep on like this it will be just you left here feeding any troll who
wanders by.

Ian

Ivor Jones

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> This wasnt an advert, Dave just forwarded an email he had
> received.

It was an advert. However useful it may be, it concluded with the words
"to order your copy...." followed by a link, which is as blatant an advert
as you can get. If he had omitted this part then I wouldn't have
complained.

Ivor

Ian

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
> > This wasnt an advert, Dave just forwarded an email he had
> > received.

> It was an advert. However useful it may be, it concluded with the words
> "to order your copy...." followed by a link, which is as blatant an advert
> as you can get. If he had omitted this part then I wouldn't have
> complained.
>
> Ivor

What ever, Just dont forget to turn the lights off when you leave....

Ian

Ivor Jones

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > This wasnt an advert, Dave just forwarded an email he
> > > had received.

> > It was an advert. However useful it may be, it
> > concluded with the words "to order your copy...."
> > followed by a link, which is as blatant an advert as
> > you can get. If he had omitted this part then I
> > wouldn't have complained.
> >
> > Ivor
> >

> What ever, Just dont forget to turn the lights off when
> you leave....
>
> Ian

Read the group charter. If a few more people did so we wouldn't be having
this conversation.

Ivor

Ian

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >

> > > "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > It was an advert. However useful it may be, it
> > > concluded with the words "to order your copy...."
> > > followed by a link, which is as blatant an advert as
> > > you can get. If he had omitted this part then I
> > > wouldn't have complained.
> > >
> > > Ivor
> > >

> > What ever, Just dont forget to turn the lights off when
> > you leave....
> >
> > Ian

> Read the group charter. If a few more people did so we wouldn't be having
> this conversation.
>
> Ivor

OK you asked for this.

For other users of the group here follows emails that Ivor sent to me when I
rewrote the charter for him:-
"Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your help with the charter etc. and the chat last night. I

have resubmitted the charter etc. to Chris at Control with almost your

exact wording, I hope you don't mind..!

Let's see how things go from here on.

Ivor"

And

"

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the message. I didn't really intend this to be a purely

technical group, indeed I am a very non-technical person; the majority I

think don't have a clue what FoIP, VOB and VON are, I certainly had to

look them up..! VoIP however is a commonly understood term, hence the

choice of name."

"

So Ivor I havent just READ the Charter , I (re)wrote it

This is my final post here unless I see things improve to a very large
degree.

TTFN Ian

Ivor Jones

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> So Ivor I havent just READ the Charter , I (re)wrote it
>
> This is my final post here unless I see things improve to
> a very large degree.
>
> TTFN Ian

Sorry Ian, I didn't recognise the name. But it's still an advert if it
tries to sell something, which "to place your order..." definitely does.

Ivor