Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Bad echo on VoIP

Bad echo on VoIP

Rob

Hi everyone.

I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
boom mic.

The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.

Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?

Thanks,
Rob

Sean

Rob wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
> home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
> through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
> hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
> boom mic.
>
> The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
>
> Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Try turning down the incoming audio.

It can be a problem with softphone setups..Hardware is best where
possible

Ivor Jones

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhea26$uml$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net
> Rob wrote:

[snip}

> > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my
> > laptop setup?

> Try turning down the incoming audio.
>
> It can be a problem with softphone setups..Hardware is
> best where possible

Sometimes people tell me they can hear an echo on their end of the
conversation. I can never hear it at my end (hardware) but of course I
don't always know what they are using at the other end.

Ivor

peter

Rob wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
> home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
> through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
> hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
> boom mic.
>
> The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
>
> Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

I have an ATA, and long-distance I sometimes also experience echo at
both ends of the call.

In my desktop, when using softphone to call PSTN lines, a cheap headset
akin to yours plugged into the on-board soundcard also generated echo.
Now I have a USB-phone, and that helped a lot. I would suggest that you
try with another headset - preferably a USB-headset with own sound card.

Mathew Curtis

peter wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
> > home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
> > through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
> > hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
> > boom mic.
> >
> > The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
> >
> > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

> I have an ATA, and long-distance I sometimes also experience echo at
> both ends of the call.
>
> In my desktop, when using softphone to call PSTN lines, a cheap headset
> akin to yours plugged into the on-board soundcard also generated echo.
> Now I have a USB-phone, and that helped a lot. I would suggest that you
> try with another headset - preferably a USB-headset with own sound card.

Or better still buy a good harware telephone

Mat

Andrew Crane

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
> home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
> through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
> hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
> boom mic.
>
> The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
>
> Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?

Voip will naturally introduce a substantial transmission delay. If your
equipment is feeding back audio from the receive path to the transmit path,
an echo will occur. The louder the feedback and the longer the delay, the
worse the problem will appear.

I believe Sipgate terminates in Germany, which from my internet connection
takes a quite bizarre around-the-houses route. This will add to the problem
as it will increase the transmission delay and therefore the annoyance of
the echo.

Digital circuits do not leak audio between the transmit and receive sides,
so look at the analogue section of your end. This is where the problem will
be. Either it will be inductive crosstalk in the headphone wires or a
straightforward audio coupling (such as vibration travelling down the rigid
boom).

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks 01784494400 www.inweb.co.uk
www.rectel.co.uk -- record your phone calls and retrieve them online without

Stuart Henderson

Andrew Crane wrote:
> I believe Sipgate terminates in Germany, which from my internet connection
> takes a quite bizarre around-the-houses route.

The SIP session (signalling) is to a server in Germany but the actual
audio part of the call (rtp stream) comes directly from the gateway in
the UK. A bit of delay on the SIP side isn't such a problem, it just
might mean it takes a fraction of a second longer to start ringing etc,
but won't affect the sound quality.

Most of the problems I've seen with sipgate have been with the
signalling side fwiw. I have qualify=yes turned on in my * config which
checks whether a peer is reachable - I have *75x* the number of
"unreachable" log entries for sipgate compared to gradwell (no joking).
I've noticed that incoming calls don't seem to detect the caller
disconnecting during ringing properly. And I've often had problems with
the voice part of the call not connecting for several seconds after
answering the call (and sometimes, quite often actually, not connecting
at all), which I've not noticed with gradwell. And a number of callers
reporting problems.

Once a call is setup correctly it's generally fine, but sipgate are
out-of-the-loop at that point, the actual call is connected with a
gateway at magrathea...

Ivor Jones

"Stuart Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com

[snip]

> Once a call is setup correctly it's generally fine, but
> sipgate are out-of-the-loop at that point, the actual
> call is connected with a gateway at magrathea...

Assuming a PSTN call, as Magrathea are the PSTN gateway, but what about a
Sipgate to Sipgate call..?

Ivor

Steve Pearce

I had these identical problems with Sipgate, echo, some people unable to
reach me, phone does not stop ringing when person has put phone down etc.
Switched to VOIPFone, changed no settings on my ATA box, all problems gone!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Stuart Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
>
> [snip]
>
>> Once a call is setup correctly it's generally fine, but
>> sipgate are out-of-the-loop at that point, the actual
>> call is connected with a gateway at magrathea...

> Assuming a PSTN call, as Magrathea are the PSTN gateway, but what about a
> Sipgate to Sipgate call..?
>
> Ivor

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:58:09 GMT, "Steve Pearce"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had these identical problems with Sipgate, echo, some people unable to
>reach me, phone does not stop ringing when person has put phone down etc.
>Switched to VOIPFone, changed no settings on my ATA box, all problems gone!

I am saying nothing at all Steve but I am thinking all that I have
said more then once here .