Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Are there any Belkin router users out there?

Are there any Belkin router users out there?

OM

Is there anyone else here who uses a Belkin router for VOIP?
I'm a beginner here... and can't get my account voipfone.co.uk and
voipbuster to work.
So far... I've only found one other person!

The router doesn't seem to have inherent port forwarding as is required
for VOIP calls. The problem is that you can only specify 20 ports to
forward.

Both voipfone.co.uk and voipbuster work fine in my office.

I've upgraded to the latest firmware and there doesn't seem to be any
range port forwarding.

I've turned on UPnP... but still no joy.

I'd be really interested to know what settings other people have.

Thanks.

OM

Phil Thompson

On 26 Sep 2005 14:00:15 -0700, "OM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The router doesn't seem to have inherent port forwarding as is required
>for VOIP calls. The problem is that you can only specify 20 ports to
>forward.

what model is this ? I have a Belkin with VoIP going through it.

the Application gateways page in the setup can open multiple ports
based on one trigger port.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Bill

I have a Belkin 7630.
If you log in to your router and go to
http://192.168.2.1/firewall_spi_h.stm and uncheck SPI and Anti-DoS
firewall protection it should work.
It does for me. I think a found this piece of info in an old posting
on this group. So thanks to the author!

OM

Phil/Bill thanks for the replies.

I've got a 7630 as well.
I've felt like throwing it out of the window because I couldn't get it
to work with VOIP.

>From what you say there might be light at the end of the tunnel?

I'll try that about SPI and Dos Firewall and will let you know how I
get on.

Can't remember what SPI stands for... but isn't that supposed to be a
firewall!?
(I'm sure I've read in the literature of routers that they have two
firewalls, one of them being SPI??)
Let me know what you think.

Paul Cupis

OM wrote:
> Can't remember what SPI stands for...

Stateful packet inspection

> but isn't that supposed to be a firewall!?

Yes.

OM

> >The router doesn't seem to have inherent port forwarding as is required
> >for VOIP calls. The problem is that you can only specify 20 ports to
> >forward.

> what model is this ? I have a Belkin with VoIP going through it.
>
> the Application gateways page in the setup can open multiple ports
> based on one trigger port.
>
> Phil

hmm... i've trie that.
can u tell me exactly what ports u have and which ones are trigger
ones?
AND do you use virtual gateways? i thought this gave the prot
forwarding functionality??

OM

> > Can't remember what SPI stands for...
>
> Stateful packet inspection
>
> > but isn't that supposed to be a firewall!?

> Yes.

erm does that mean you shouldn't really turn spi off?

Phil Thompson

On 28 Sep 2005 13:42:35 -0700, "OM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>can u tell me exactly what ports u have and which ones are trigger
>ones?
>AND do you use virtual gateways? i thought this gave the prot
>forwarding functionality??

as of this evening I don't have any as I just reflashed the things
firmware to a more recent version.

I'll bring the PAP2 home tomorrow for a play. The BTBBV Cisco box is
sat working OK. I wrote the following last time I played
http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005/07/...-na-day-2.html which
implies only ports 5060 and 5061 were set up as virtual servers.

Have you tried the DMZ function to ensure it works in the first place
ie set the DMZ to be the ATA or whatever you're using (sorry, I
forgot)

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Phil Thompson

On 28 Sep 2005 13:43:25 -0700, "OM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>erm does that mean you shouldn't really turn spi off?

correct. Bit like taking the armour off a tank to see if it helps the
oil pressure in the engine.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

OM

> Have you tried the DMZ function to ensure it works in the first place
> ie set the DMZ to be the ATA or whatever you're using (sorry, I
> forgot)
>
> Phil

ata?
from what i understand that is the hardware ox through which i have a
phone connected?
i dont have an ata in that case.
i'm just trying to use a software phone.
apologies if i misunderstand what ur saying.