Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SIP on 3G

SIP on 3G

Mark Adamson

Hi, I have recently learnt that 3G phones use SIP over IPv6 for voice and
video calls.

Given that I have a proper IPv6 address (from sixxs) on my computer and
obviously I have SIP, it would be nice to think that I could call 3G mobiles
from my computer for free. I am guessing, however, that this is not the
case, as other telecoms services probably have to pay lots to connect to the
rival 3G networks.

Anyone have a clue?

I shall do some more research on the matter!

Mark

turtill@hotmail.com

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:19:41 +0100, "Mark Adamson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I have recently learnt that 3G phones use SIP over IPv6 for voice and
>video calls.
>
>Given that I have a proper IPv6 address (from sixxs) on my computer and
>obviously I have SIP, it would be nice to think that I could call 3G mobiles
>from my computer for free. I am guessing, however, that this is not the
>case, as other telecoms services probably have to pay lots to connect to the
>rival 3G networks.
>
>Anyone have a clue?
>
>I shall do some more research on the matter!

Valiants post. http://tinyurl.com/arnvr is interesting on this IMO.
pete

Mark Adamson

>>Given that I have a proper IPv6 address (from sixxs) on my computer and
>>obviously I have SIP, it would be nice to think that I could call 3G
>>mobiles
>>from my computer for free. I am guessing, however, that this is not the
>>case, as other telecoms services probably have to pay lots to connect to
>>the
>>rival 3G networks.
>>
>>Anyone have a clue?
>>
>>I shall do some more research on the matter!

> Valiants post. http://tinyurl.com/arnvr is interesting on this IMO.
> pete

Thats not quite what I was getting at. I am aware that using the data 'mode'
of the 3g phones, you can use standard SIP services (presumable with a J2ME
app or something).

I am more interested in the fact that the normal calls made on the 3g
network utilise SIP, and so was wondering whether there was a vague chance
that this could be utilised to enable free calls to 3g phones, though i
doubt this very much.

David Marshall

In article <dh159e$59k$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Adamson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am more interested in the fact that the normal calls made on the 3g
>network utilise SIP, and so was wondering whether there was a vague chance
>that this could be utilised to enable free calls to 3g phones, though i
>doubt this very much.

Despite the standards being in place, as far as I know, all of the UK's 3G
networks currently handle voice and video calls as circuit-switched. So no
SIP - yet.

Dave
--
Email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) MSN Messenger: (E-Mail Removed)