Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > RJ11 to BT connector with ring capacitor?

RJ11 to BT connector with ring capacitor?

Peter X

Hi all,

I've got my new Linksys PAP2 today and have got it working with Sipgate.
However, my phone doesn't ring.

I ordered my PAP2 along with a Belkin F8V031 from Broadbandbuyer, but I
presume the Belkin doesn't include a ring capacitor?

So, do I need to order a different RJ11 to BT adaptor _or_ is there a
setting on the PAP2 that will enable ringing?

--
Cheers!

Peter.

Peter X

Peter X wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got my new Linksys PAP2 today and have got it working with Sipgate.
> However, my phone doesn't ring.
>
> I ordered my PAP2 along with a Belkin F8V031 from Broadbandbuyer, but I
> presume the Belkin doesn't include a ring capacitor?
>
> So, do I need to order a different RJ11 to BT adaptor _or_ is there a
> setting on the PAP2 that will enable ringing?

I'd left the ringer switched off.

[ahem]

It still didn't work with just the Belkin though. I had to also plug a
spare ADSL filter between the Belkin and the phone, and *now* my phone
rings!

So my next question is.... how can I make the ring sound more like a
normal UK ring tone?

Jono

"Peter X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So my next question is.... how can I make the ring sound more like a
> normal UK ring tone?

Regional settings need adjusting.

Have a look at www.voxilla.com, go into the Hardware forums & search for
Regional Settings (or variations)

Peter X

Jono wrote:
> "Peter X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>So my next question is.... how can I make the ring sound more like a
>>normal UK ring tone?

> Regional settings need adjusting.
>
> Have a look at www.voxilla.com, go into the Hardware forums & search for
> Regional Settings (or variations)

Thanks for the Jono!

For the benefit of anyone else, I found this page:
http://voxilla.com/index.php?name=PN...hlight=ring+uk

....that contains a skip-load of settings, none of which I understand!
However, I was able to set my ringer to sound like a uk "ring-ring" by
going into Regional settings, Distinctive Ring Patterns, and changing
Ring1 Cadence from "60(2/4)" to "60(.4/.2,.4/2)".

Before I start noodling around with any other settings, can anyone
confirm if it is easy to reset the PAP2 back to factory defaults? The
manual mentions it, but says you need a code from your service provider!

--
Peter.

Phil Thompson

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:00:38 +0100, Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I ordered my PAP2 along with a Belkin F8V031 from Broadbandbuyer, but I
>presume the Belkin doesn't include a ring capacitor?

I sent them a pre-sales enquiry with that very question, and they
referred it for testing to find the answer.

I took it as a "no" and looks like you've confirmed it. Solwise do one
and there's another mentioned in a review of the PAP2 at
broadbandbuyer.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Mike @ www.zd8i.net

Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've got my new Linksys PAP2 today and have got it working with Sipgate.
>However, my phone doesn't ring.
>
>I ordered my PAP2 along with a Belkin F8V031 from Broadbandbuyer, but I
>presume the Belkin doesn't include a ring capacitor?
>
>So, do I need to order a different RJ11 to BT adaptor _or_ is there a
>setting on the PAP2 that will enable ringing?

https://linitx.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=679

Ivor Jones

<Mike @ www.zd8i.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> > So, do I need to order a different RJ11 to BT adaptor
> > _or_ is there a setting on the PAP2 that will enable
> > ringing?

> https://linitx.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=679

That's a good price, Maplins want about 6 quid for 'em..!

Having said that, most ATA's bought in the UK should have one or two in
the box..? They always have with me, except when I bought a Sipura 2000 in
the US of course.

Ivor

Peter X

Ivor Jones wrote:

>>https://linitx.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=679

> That's a good price, Maplins want about 6 quid for 'em..!

It is! And it looks like I could get one posted for 50p.

> Having said that, most ATA's bought in the UK should have one or two in
> the box..? They always have with me, except when I bought a Sipura 2000 in
> the US of course.

Not the PAP2 I just bought which is offically a PAP2-EU, and the box is
labeled PAP2-EU, but the unit itself is labeled PAP2-NA, and the PSU is
a weird one that comes with two separate snap-in power connectors; one
for UK and one (presumably) for Europe.

It looks like a rapidly cobbled together effort for the European market
using existing parts, rather than a well thought out package.

That said, it is cheap and it does work.... once you get the right phone
connector! I *am* happy with it.

--
Peter.