Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype. Do I need it?

Skype. Do I need it?

turtill@hotmail.com

I have voipbuster which works well enough and 1899 which also works
well enough. However after reading the Economist article and the very
important comments of the poster, I am concerned that I should sign up
to Skype just to be in on the ground floor. Has anyone else any views
on doing just this?
pete

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I have voipbuster which works well enough and 1899 which
> also works well enough. However after reading the
> Economist article and the very important comments of the
> poster, I am concerned that I should sign up to Skype
> just to be in on the ground floor. Has anyone else any
> views on doing just this?
> pete

If you know people who use it, it's fine. I fire it up occasionally as I
have a couple of friends who use it, but otherwise I don't bother much.
I'm not keen on systems that (a) use proprietary protocols and (b) require
a PC to be on to use it.

It's free anyway, so it doesn't hurt to have it.

Ivor

Ad C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I have voipbuster which works well enough and 1899 which also works
> well enough. However after reading the Economist article and the very
> important comments of the poster, I am concerned that I should sign up
> to Skype just to be in on the ground floor. Has anyone else any views
> on doing just this?
> pete

skype is ok, I don't know what will happen to is now som big compnay
have taken it over. I expect they will do the same thing AOl did to
Winamp and spoil it.

We will wait and see,

I use Skype now and again, but most of the time I use MSN messenger.

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:09:48 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> I have voipbuster which works well enough and 1899 which
>> also works well enough. However after reading the
>> Economist article and the very important comments of the
>> poster, I am concerned that I should sign up to Skype
>> just to be in on the ground floor. Has anyone else any
>> views on doing just this?
>> pete

>If you know people who use it, it's fine. I fire it up occasionally as I
>have a couple of friends who use it, but otherwise I don't bother much.
>I'm not keen on systems that (a) use proprietary protocols and (b) require
>a PC to be on to use it.
>
>It's free anyway, so it doesn't hurt to have it.

I read John (Valiant <(E-Mail Removed)>) comments and the article he
posted from the economist. I thought his comment were better than the
article actually but it made me wonder if I should sign on just to
make sure I had an account in case they have caused telecoms to
consider buying up all the voip operators and start to impose
conditions etc. But there again I always am suspicious when I see
loads of unnecessary money being thrown around
pete

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:27:56 +0100, Ad C <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I have voipbuster which works well enough and 1899 which also works
>> well enough. However after reading the Economist article and the very
>> important comments of the poster, I am concerned that I should sign up
>> to Skype just to be in on the ground floor. Has anyone else any views
>> on doing just this?
>> pete
>>

>skype is ok, I don't know what will happen to is now som big compnay
>have taken it over. I expect they will do the same thing AOl did to
>Winamp and spoil it.
>
>We will wait and see,
>
>I use Skype now and again, but most of the time I use MSN messenger.

Yes I can imagine ebay spoiling Skype. That is why I am considering
what may happen to other gateways.
pete

Ad C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >I use Skype now and again, but most of the time I use MSN messenger.

> Yes I can imagine ebay spoiling Skype. That is why I am considering
> what may happen to other gateways.

Other gateways? sorry I am not sure what you mean, maybe it is too early
in the morning

turtill@hotmail.com

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:11:45 +0100, Ad C <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >I use Skype now and again, but most of the time I use MSN messenger.

>> Yes I can imagine ebay spoiling Skype. That is why I am considering
>> what may happen to other gateways.

>Other gateways? sorry I am not sure what you mean, maybe it is too early
>in the morning

As I read the economist article Skype is only a gateway between the
telephone and the computer. Rather I think that was the comment added
by John. So the other voip companies must also be gateways too. No?
pete

Phil Thompson

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:32:59 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>As I read the economist article Skype is only a gateway between the
>telephone and the computer.

Skype is primarily software and protocols to facilitate voice
communication between computers. As add-ons it has "skype out" and
"skype in" gateways to the PSTN phone system to allow calls between
computers and "normal" phone users.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

turtill@hotmail.com

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:55:57 +0100, Phil Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:32:59 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>As I read the economist article Skype is only a gateway between the
>>telephone and the computer.

>Skype is primarily software and protocols to facilitate voice
>communication between computers. As add-ons it has "skype out" and
>"skype in" gateways to the PSTN phone system to allow calls between
>computers and "normal" phone users.

Thanks for putting me straight on that. I am new to voip and I still
do not really understand what it is. Thanks.
pete

Ad C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> >Other gateways? sorry I am not sure what you mean, maybe it is too early
> >in the morning

> As I read the economist article Skype is only a gateway between the
> telephone and the computer. Rather I think that was the comment added
> by John. So the other voip companies must also be gateways too. No?
> pete

Yes, of cause, I said it was too early in the momrning