Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Can you help a newbie, please?

Can you help a newbie, please?

Claire M

I'm new to all of this so go easy one me

A couple of questions:

Are there any cheap wireless (WiFi) phones available?

If so, would I be able to use one of these with, say, VoipBuster to
make *free* calls to UK landline numbers or does it require some sort
of subscription?

Thanks for any help.

CM

Martin²

There are few WIFI VOIP phones available, but none of them are cheap.
Have look at www.square7.com but I wouldn't buy anything just yet,
sometime "soon" there will be mobile phones with WIFI VoIP built in.

Yes, you can (most of the time) make free calls with Voipbuster to UK
landlines and most of the first / civilised world. You need to pay them one
Euro to be able to make calls longer then 1 min.
Works fairly well with their softphone, tricky to set up with Analog
Telephone Adapters or VoIP routers.
There is no support, except from folks here...
Regards,
Martin

Claire M

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:00:59 +0100, "Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are few WIFI VOIP phones available, but none of them are cheap.
>Have look at www.square7.com but I wouldn't buy anything just yet,
>sometime "soon" there will be mobile phones with WIFI VoIP built in.

"www.square7.com could not be found"

The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
there a (cheap) way around this?

>Yes, you can (most of the time) make free calls with Voipbuster to UK
>landlines and most of the first / civilised world. You need to pay them one
>Euro to be able to make calls longer then 1 min.

I've just read their webpage, and it looks as if I'd need to pay them
5 Euro - is that right?

>Works fairly well with their softphone, tricky to set up with Analog
>Telephone Adapters or VoIP routers.

Above my head

>There is no support, except from folks here...

I'm glad you guys are here!

>Regards,
>Martin

Thanks for your help.

CM.

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:05 +0100, Claire M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
>because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
>there a (cheap) way around this?

stick a £10 hub or switch on the one ethernet port and plug an
ethernet ATA (telephone adapter) into it along with its current user.

plug a DECT phone into the ATA

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

Paul Westwell

Claire,

For an easy out of the box solution that you will not have to do anything
for have a look at www.vonage.co.uk

Yes it costs £9.99pm but all you local/national calls are free and the
service is very reliable. You also get inclusive of the cost voicemail,
caller line identity, 1471, call waiting, call diversion etc.

Vonage supply a free ATA and it really is plug and play!

Regards,

Paul

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Claire M wrote:

> I'm new to all of this so go easy one me
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> Are there any cheap wireless (WiFi) phones available?

They are not cheap - about 150 by the time you pay VAT and shipping.
But I have noticed the more expensive ones 200+ pounds competing
with pocket PCs with built in WiFi, so much so, its more worthwhile
to buy the generic miniature PC than the WiFI VoIP phone.

Doh!

It just another symptom of a market lacking choices
because POTS management mentality is putting brakes on
new and innovative VoIP products.

> If so, would I be able to use one of these with, say, VoipBuster to
> make *free* calls to UK landline numbers or does it require some sort
> of subscription?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> CM

Stephane M

"Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:05 +0100, Claire M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
>>because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
>>there a (cheap) way around this?

> stick a £10 hub or switch on the one ethernet port and plug an
> ethernet ATA (telephone adapter) into it along with its current user.
>
> plug a DECT phone into the ATA
>
> Phil
> --
> Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

Iwould be also quite interested in Wireless Voip phone and unfortunately,
www.square7.com doesn't work out

Martin, are you sure of www.square7.com ??

Stephane

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:19:04 +0100, "Stephane M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Iwould be also quite interested in Wireless Voip phone

<http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=77&CategoryID=319&Produ ctID=1948>
<http://pulverinnovations.com/wisip.html>

Square7 ? site seems down, see
<http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/household/square7-cordless-skypelandline-phone-036326.php>
for the product.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

Claire M

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:41:28 +0100, Phil Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:05 +0100, Claire M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
>>because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
>>there a (cheap) way around this?

>stick a £10 hub or switch on the one ethernet port and plug an
>ethernet ATA (telephone adapter) into it along with its current user.
>
>plug a DECT phone into the ATA
>
>Phil

So, if I get one of these (hope these links don't break):

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...&ShopGroupID=4

And then one of these:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ShopGroupID=77

I would be able to use them (with a DECT cordless phone) to access the
VoipBuster service and make calls to landlines for free?

Are the products above a good choice, or are there better (and
cheaper) alternatives?

Thanks for your help.

CM.

Martin²

Sorry, suare7.com seems to have disappeared, perhaps because their prices
weren't competitive !
But they did have biggest selection of WiFi VoIP phones.
Zyxel and Senao are good but pricy. Pulver should be OK, but I can't get a
price on it.
The others on sq7 were unknown makes. They also had VoIP equipped PDA's.

Claire, yes, the hub and Linksys PAP2 should work. The voipbuster settings
are bit fickle,
best to get them from somebody using PAP2.

Can't say about the hub, but that's std item. The PAP2 is the cheapest ATA
available, works too.
Better alternative is WiFi router with VoIP ports(s), because they can be
set to give priority to voice packets (QoS function). There are few
available now, Draytek Vigor 2600VG, 2500V and Zyxel 2602HWL are the best,
but not cheap. Otherwise Zoom X5V (mot sure it has QoS).
Regards,
Martin