Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Netgear TA612V vs. Linksys PAP2

Netgear TA612V vs. Linksys PAP2

Peter X

Brian wrote:
> On 2005-09-15, Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
>>because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

> Myself, I wouldn't be too sure that is; and if it was I would question
> why I was paying so much for it. Following the link 'Help-Centre' from
> Sipgate's opening page leads to you a help section on the TA612V. There
> it refers to configuring the device. This would imply that the TA612V
> is not sold to you in a locked condition.
>
> Clearing up this matter would appear to be a simple matter of sending an
> email.

I posted a question to Netgear support (using their handy online
webform... that I first had to sign up too!) on Friday, but no response
as yet (it's true that I can be a little impatient!).

I posted a smilar question on the Netgear forums and was told that (by
an Australian) and it *is* unlocked.

Presently I'm not convinced that it is, and it's looking increasingly
likely that I'll go for the PAP2 on the basis of price vs. performance.

--
All the best,

Peter

Brian

On 2005-09-19, Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>>
>> I am very happy with my Sipura SPA-2000, although I think it's been
>> superseded by the 2002 now. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the
>> differences are, though..!
>>

> Looks like the 2002 is just in a newer, smaller box. I can't see any
> feature differences:
>
> http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm
>
> http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2002.htm

Does this help?

http://sipura.voxilla.com/product_in...products_id=34

Now why Sipura couldn't use its own website to give us this information?

Brian.

Ivor Jones

news:dgmr67$6aq$1$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Does this help?
>
> http://sipura.voxilla.com/product_in...products_id=34
>
> Now why Sipura couldn't use its own website to give us
> this information?
>
> Brian.

Indeed. Well there you go, thanks Brian.

Ivor

Peter X

Peter X wrote:
> I posted a question to Netgear support (using their handy online
> webform... that I first had to sign up too!) on Friday, but no response
> as yet (it's true that I can be a little impatient!).

Well, its's too late now (I've just bought a Linksys PAP2), but I got a
reply from Netgear today, so for the benefit of the group, here's the
full copy (their reply first, then my question second):

Problem Presales
Cause Online request
Status Open
Notes
21/09/2005 20:23:00
Dear Peter,

Thank you for contacting Netgear Support. My name is Mohan Singh & I
will be handling your enquiry.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. In regards to your concern,
please note that this VOIP adapter is not locked to a single service
provider. It can be worked with the leading VOIP service providers.

If you have any further issues, please revert back.

Regards

Mohan Singh
Netgear Support

16/09/2005 12:43:00
I am thinking of purchasing a TA612V, but I understand the product is
locked to a single service provider (in the UK), namely Sipgate.

Can you confirm that this is the case, and that I cannot use the product
with any other SIP based VoIP service provider?

Thanks in advance,

Peter