Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Netgear TA612V vs. Linksys PAP2

Netgear TA612V vs. Linksys PAP2

Peter X

Hi all,

Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...0e31275627a7b7

It looks fine to me. I know it doesn't support QoS but given its
cheapness, I can probably live with it and if not, then I can afford to
upgrade at a later date.

Does anyone know of any issues with the PAP2 or reasons why it might not
work with a Netgear DG834G?

--
TIA!

Peter.

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:52:02 +0100, Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
>because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

You mustn't be saying things like that you will have Ivor here in a
minute saying "oh no it isn't" !

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:52:02 +0100, Peter X
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at
> > the Linksys PAP2 because it _appears_ that the TA612V
> > is locked to Sipgate.

> You mustn't be saying things like that you will have Ivor
> here in a minute saying "oh no it isn't" !

Actually it is, but I'm told it's possible to unlock it, although I don't
know anyone who has done this.

Rather than the Linksys, I'd personally be looking at something from the
Sipura range, the Linksys uses similar firmware I think but the Sipuras
are very flexible and easy to configure once you get the hang of the
multiplicity of config screens..!

I am very happy with my Sipura SPA-2000, although I think it's been
superseded by the 2002 now. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the
differences are, though..!

Ivor

Brian

On 2005-09-15, Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
> because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

Myself, I wouldn't be too sure that is; and if it was I would question
why I was paying so much for it. Following the link 'Help-Centre' from
Sipgate's opening page leads to you a help section on the TA612V. There
it refers to configuring the device. This would imply that the TA612V
is not sold to you in a locked condition.

Clearing up this matter would appear to be a simple matter of sending an
email.

> http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...0e31275627a7b7
>
> It looks fine to me. I know it doesn't support QoS but given its
> cheapness, I can probably live with it and if not, then I can afford to
> upgrade at a later date.

The PAP2 is said to be practically identical to the Sipura 2000. The
Sipura 2000 is a fine ATA which is much more expensive than the PAP2.

> Does anyone know of any issues with the PAP2 or reasons why it might not
> work with a Netgear DG834G?

I have had no untoward issues with the Sipura 2000.

Brian.

Ivor Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On 2005-09-15, Peter X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at
> > the Linksys PAP2 because it _appears_ that the TA612V
> > is locked to Sipgate.

> Myself, I wouldn't be too sure that is; and if it was I
> would question why I was paying so much for it.
> Following the link 'Help-Centre' from Sipgate's opening
> page leads to you a help section on the TA612V. There it
> refers to configuring the device. This would imply that
> the TA612V is not sold to you in a locked condition.

Unfortunately. it *is* locked as supplied, the configuration page from the
link you mention takes you to a screen where you can download your Sipgate
account information into the TA612V, that's all. There is no way on the
unit as supplied to configure individual options on the VoIP setup,
although you can do so for the router functions.

I am told that it is possible to unlock the TA612V but I don't know anyone
who has managed to do this.

Ivor

John Smith

There is currently no way to unlock the device TA612V - I think Netgear GPL
the firmware so there may be something there

Phil Thompson

wrote:

>Does anyone know of any issues with the PAP2 or reasons why it might not
>work with a Netgear DG834G?

PAP2 is a good little device at a decent price. It accepts latest
sipura frmware apparently, though I haven't done that.

its a shade cheaper at broadbandbuyer.co.uk (beware there's a cheaper
still Vonage specific one).

I have a PAP2 currently has a SIPgate and 18866 account running on it.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

Brian

On 2005-09-16, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Unfortunately. it *is* locked as supplied, the configuration page from the
> link you mention takes you to a screen where you can download your Sipgate
> account information into the TA612V, that's all. There is no way on the
> unit as supplied to configure individual options on the VoIP setup,
> although you can do so for the router functions.

Considering Sipgate appear to have an open policy towards the use of any
SIP phone and, as far as I can see, none of their other products are
locked, it might be less confusing to make this clear on the website.

> I am told that it is possible to unlock the TA612V but I don't know anyone
> who has managed to do this.

Support at Sipgate maintain the TA612V cannot be unlocked.

Brian.

Ivor Jones

news:dge9h9$3bk$1$(E-Mail Removed)
> On 2005-09-16, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately. it *is* locked as supplied, the
> > configuration page from the link you mention takes you
> > to a screen where you can download your Sipgate account
> > information into the TA612V, that's all. There is no
> > way on the unit as supplied to configure individual
> > options on the VoIP setup, although you can do so for
> > the router functions.

> Considering Sipgate appear to have an open policy towards
> the use of any SIP phone and, as far as I can see, none
> of their other products are locked, it might be less
> confusing to make this clear on the website.

That's a good point, it might be worth suggesting it..?

> > I am told that it is possible to unlock the TA612V but
> > I don't know anyone who has managed to do this.

> Support at Sipgate maintain the TA612V cannot be unlocked.

That's interesting, they told me it was..! I believe a password has to be
obtained that relates to your MAC address, but I didn't try it when I had
a TA612V as I wasn't able to get the device working behind my router. I
sold it to a friend who has a cable modem and it works fine for him but he
has 2 Sipgate accounts so doesn't require it to be unlocked.

Ivor

Peter X

Ivor Jones wrote:

> I am very happy with my Sipura SPA-2000, although I think it's been
> superseded by the 2002 now. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the
> differences are, though..!

Looks like the 2002 is just in a newer, smaller box. I can't see any
feature differences:

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2002.htm