Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > sipgate account IDs

sipgate account IDs

Julius

I noticed that sipgate uses the last seven digits of the Geo number as
the SIP account ID

I was wondering if this will cause problems, since it is possible for
two users with unique Geo numbers to have the same last seven digits

Chris Blunt

On 12 Sep 2005 17:15:29 -0700, "Julius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I noticed that sipgate uses the last seven digits of the Geo number as
>the SIP account ID
>
>I was wondering if this will cause problems, since it is possible for
>two users with unique Geo numbers to have the same last seven digits

My Sipgate number is "1", followed by the last six digits of my
assigned number. If someone else were ever assigned a number with the
same last six digits, they could always use a different prefix from
the "1" I have.

Chris

Ivor Jones

"Julius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> I noticed that sipgate uses the last seven digits of the
> Geo number as the SIP account ID
>
> I was wondering if this will cause problems, since it is
> possible for two users with unique Geo numbers to have
> the same last seven digits

On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP ID's on the same
network can be the same, Sipgate is a worldwide network, so no two SIP
ID's on their entire system can be the same. You actually have it the
wrong way round - the SIP ID is usually (but not always) used as the last
part of the associated PSTN number, not vice versa.

Note also that the first of the 7 digits of the SIP number is usually the
same as the corresponding digit in the PSTN number, but it isn't always
so. London numbers are the obvious example - the SIP ID 143xxxx will
normally have the PSTN number 020 7043 xxxx. Sometimes the SIP ID and the
PSTN number can be completely different; if you change your PSTN number
the SIP ID will stay the same, as it is the SIP number that identifies
your account.

Hope this helps,

Ivor

Julius

> My Sipgate number is "1", followed by the last six digits of my
> assigned number

Well for me and a friend who registered in different cities, it is
exactly the last seven digits of the telephone number

It could cause issues, unless they've got some mechanism to make sure
each ID is unique

Of course I'm not saying there is any issue, just that there could be,
I'm sure they've considered it

Julius.

Julius

> On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP ID's on the same
> network can be the same

Oh I know and understand that, but if they are using the4 last seven
digits without pre-cautions to ensure uniqueness, this could be a
problem.

Having said that, there probably isn't any issue. I was just posing the
question

In my reply to Chris, bboth a friend and myselfs SIPgate ID are exactly
the last seven digits of our respective telephone numbers

As a further test, I just changed the telephone number to something
different within the account management website and the SIP ID remains
the previous last seven digits, but I have a new number completely

BTW, I have no complaints with this service so far, call quality is
good, no registration issues experienced like I did with 'voipfone', so
far, so good

Julius

LordSmickerAbacha

Wait till the weekend come Friday night you will find sipgate virtually
grinds to a halt

Julius

>Wait till the weekend come Friday night you will find sipgate virtually
>grinds to a halt

OK, we'll give it a shot around then

LordSmickerAbacha

Good Luck and do report back if you have any issues as we have a resident
sipgate employee in these forums i do believe.

Ivor Jones

"Julius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
> > On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP
> > ID's on the same network can be the same

> Oh I know and understand that, but if they are using the4
> last seven digits without pre-cautions to ensure
> uniqueness, this could be a problem.

As I said, the PSTN numbers issued are usually (but not always) based on
the SIP ID, *not* the other way round.

> Having said that, there probably isn't any issue. I was
> just posing the question
>
> In my reply to Chris, bboth a friend and myselfs SIPgate
> ID are exactly the last seven digits of our respective
> telephone numbers

Yes, that's usually the case, but they may not be. I suspect that where
they are not, there is already a number in existence with those digits.

> As a further test, I just changed the telephone number to
> something different within the account management website
> and the SIP ID remains the previous last seven digits,
> but I have a new number completely

The SIP ID is your account number and never alters. You can change the
PSTN number as often as you like.

> BTW, I have no complaints with this service so far, call
> quality is good, no registration issues experienced like
> I did with 'voipfone', so far, so good

Glad to hear it..!

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"Julius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> > Wait till the weekend come Friday night you will find
> > sipgate virtually grinds to a halt

> OK, we'll give it a shot around then

Ye gods this is getting boring.

Ivor