Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > RJ45 to BT phone...

RJ45 to BT phone...

Paul Ockenden

My Fritzbox has an RJ45 on the back which can connect to either analog
or ISDN phone lines. It comes with an rj45 - rj45 lead, plus some adaptors
for the German phone system... useful!

Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45 socket to a UK
phone line? I did a google, and a search on ebay, but apparently there's an
issue of primary or secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit beyond me!

Help?

P.

Paul Ockenden wrote:

> My Fritzbox has an RJ45 on the back which can connect to either analog
> or ISDN phone lines. It comes with an rj45 - rj45 lead, plus some adaptors
> for the German phone system... useful!
>
> Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45 socket to a UK
> phone line? I did a google, and a search on ebay, but apparently there's
> an issue of primary or secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit
> beyond me!
>
> Help?
>
> P.

Almost any telephone shop has the adapter for it.
Old modems had the adapters so you might look in an old box
or a discarded card and find it still there.

Ian

"Paul Ockenden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3gTUe.14343$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My Fritzbox has an RJ45 on the back which can connect to either analog
> or ISDN phone lines. It comes with an rj45 - rj45 lead, plus some adaptors
> for the German phone system... useful!
>
> Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45 socket to a UK
> phone line? I did a google, and a search on ebay, but apparently there's

an
> issue of primary or secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit beyond

me!

> Help?

Hi Paul
If its using the standard pins or RJ45 which are 4 and 5, You will need a
Master Adaptor , Sometimes called PBX Master
such as
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=CS11892&N=411

Ian

Lurch

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:17:57 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
scrawled:

>If its using the standard pins or RJ45 which are 4 and 5, You will need a
>Master Adaptor , Sometimes called PBX Master
>such as
>http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=CS11892&N=411

Close, but no cigar. Wrong way round that one.

I'd make my own lead so I'm struggling to find a pre-made adapter
anywhere. You should be able to just stick a normal BT-RJ11 lead in
from any standard analogue modem.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Ivor Jones

wrote in message
news:3gTUe.14343$(E-Mail Removed)
> My Fritzbox has an RJ45 on the back which can connect to
> either analog or ISDN phone lines. It comes with an rj45 - rj45 lead,
> plus some adaptors for the German phone system... useful!
>
> Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45
> socket to a UK phone line? I did a google, and a search
> on ebay, but apparently there's an issue of primary or
> secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit beyond me!
> Help?
>
> P.

If it's the analogue/ISDN port it uses pins 1 and 8, the outermost two,
it's a non-standard pinout arrangement.

Ivor

Teal'c

"Paul Ockenden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3gTUe.14343$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My Fritzbox has an RJ45 on the back which can connect to either analog
> or ISDN phone lines. It comes with an rj45 - rj45 lead, plus some adaptors
> for the German phone system... useful!
>
> Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45 socket to a UK
> phone line? I did a google, and a search on ebay, but apparently there's
> an
> issue of primary or secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit beyond
> me!
>
> Help?
>
> P.

Paul Ockenden

> Almost any telephone shop has the adapter for it.
> Old modems had the adapters so you might look in an old box
> or a discarded card and find it still there.

I thought old modems used RJ11s, not RJ45s...

P.

Lurch

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:17:34 GMT, "Paul Ockenden"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>I thought old modems used RJ11s, not RJ45s...

They do, as do new ones too. An RJ11 plug will fit in an RJ45 socket
though, but as someone else has pointed out in this thread, pins 1+8
are used so this wouldn't work as RJ11's only go up to 6 pins. They
also have a tendancy to malform pins 1+8 in the RJ45 socket too,
sometimes.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Lurch

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:01:35 GMT, "Paul Ockenden"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45 socket to a UK
>phone line? I did a google, and a search on ebay, but apparently there's an
>issue of primary or secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit beyond me!

If you can't source an adapter for this then drop me an email and I'll
make you one.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Peter Parry

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know the wiring I need to connect this RJ45 socket to a UK
>phone line? I did a google, and a search on ebay, but apparently there's an
>issue of primary or secondary, full master or not, etc. All a bit beyond me!

Centre two on the RJ45 to a master socket (or PABX master) pins A and
B or 2 and 5 (depending on how it is labelled). 2 and 5 on a slave
will work but you may get no ringing signal on the phone.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.

Db9 to RJ45 Howard Huntley Cisco 5 12-10-2007 10:58 AM
RJ45? =?Utf-8?B?amFrZQ==?= Wireless Networking 5 03-26-2005 06:55 AM
do i need a rj45 =?Utf-8?B?amFrZQ==?= Wireless Networking 2 03-10-2005 08:21 PM
Db9 to RJ45 Howard Huntley Cisco 0 04-06-2004 09:35 PM
console adapter layout db25m-to-rj45 Sameer Cisco 1 12-10-2003 10:28 AM

Advertisments