Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype => Jajah calls?

Skype => Jajah calls?

Nigel Greenwood

I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
"buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?

Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.

Nigel

keymaster

"Nigel Greenwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
> problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
> Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
> "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?
>
> Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.
>
> Nigel

Hi
not 100% but I am sure skype is not sip.
cheers
Roy

T.

Nigel Greenwood wrote:
> I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
> problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
> Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
> "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?
>
> Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.

That's right - Skype is not SIP.

Ian

"Nigel Greenwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
> problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
> Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
> "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?
>
> Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.
>
> Nigel

Hi Nigel.

AFAIK the Jajah bridge is one way when it comes to adding buddies, Yes Jajah
is Sip but as you correctly point out Skype isnt.

Ian

Nigel Greenwood

Thanks for the replies.

Ian wrote:

> AFAIK the Jajah bridge is one way when it comes to adding buddies, Yes Jajah
> is Sip but as you correctly point out Skype isnt.

Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question, which was whether a
Skype buddy has any way of calling my Jajah softphone. The Jajah query
desk hasn't replied to my emails about this, so I suspect the answer is
No! I posted here in case someone else has managed this feat.

Nigel

Ivor Jones

"keymaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:432014b9$0$17472$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Hi
> not 100% but I am sure skype is not sip.
> cheers
> Roy

It definitely isn't. Skype's protocol is proprietary and a closely guarded
secret. *Nothing* else is compatible with it.

Ivor

Ian

<snip>

> It definitely isn't. Skype's protocol is proprietary and a closely guarded
> secret. *Nothing* else is compatible with it.

Well the Jajah does let Jajah users call skype users.

But as to compatiblity, All protocols require some kind of gateway to talk
to another prototcol and skype is no different to the rest.

Im sure we will see more bridges in the future.

Ian

Peter

Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> But as to compatiblity, All protocols require some kind of gateway
> to talk to another prototcol and skype is no different to the rest.
> Im sure we will see more bridges in the future.

The problem is that Skype aren't prepared to provide the information
required to build that bridge.

--
Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.
- Mae West

Ian

news:432031e9$0$27022$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> > But as to compatiblity, All protocols require some kind of gateway
> > to talk to another prototcol and skype is no different to the rest.
> > Im sure we will see more bridges in the future.

> The problem is that Skype aren't prepared to provide the information
> required to build that bridge.

The developers of skype may not but as the Jajah bridge exists, then the
developers of that may well release the information.

but looking at http://makeashorterlink.com/?W37821BAB seems that things
may be changing on skypes part.

Ian

Peter

Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> The developers of skype may not but as the Jajah bridge exists, then
> the developers of that may well release the information.

Unlikely, as it appears that Jajah may also be propietary, although at
least they do allow SIP gatewaying into it.

> but looking at http://makeashorterlink.com/?W37821BAB seems that
> things may be changing on skypes part.

That's not "opening" it by my understanding. That's merely providing
an API to drive the IM functionality which has got nothing to do with
the VoIP side.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) for full key
/:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j