Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cost benefit of VoIP

Cost benefit of VoIP

AD C

In article <4321eff0$0$525$(E-Mail Removed)>, nntp-DOT-

> > If the charge was 5 a month, maybe more people would think about VOIP.

> Definately. In fact, I'd like to have no BT phone line, just an ADSL
> feed. The emergency landline would be our "free" cable line (no chance
> of ever getting rid of that 'cos we rely on its TV service). Then ATAs
> all round the house with DECT phones. Each person could have their own
> number.
>
> Hmmm, I think I'm beginning to find some useful uses for VoIP here...

I know I may sound like I do not like the idea of VOIP sometimes, but I
agree with you, there are some good uses for VOIP. But there are
problems, like ISP reliability, using it in an emergency, speech
quality, I know VOIP is pretty good, but they do have this delay
problem. cost is another thing, some people wpould find that they would
not save any money and this is the market VOIP is being aimed at. People
have got this idea that they will save money with VOIP. some well, but I
think most will not.

Paul Cupis

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:20:34 +0100, AD C <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>Oh come on, BT have made enormous profits for years, they got more than
>>enough money to keep maintain the telephone system, without charging a
>>line rental.

> It is time BT had a radical shake up dispensing with the members of
> staff that walk about all day doing nothing but carry a few sheets of
> paper to make themselves look busy for starters. Don't say they don't
> have these people all large companies have floor walkers ) .

Heh, so why should BT be any different?

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:02:17 +0100, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Heh, so why should BT be any different?

Because BT is a service provider and not a manufacture of goods
it has been said many times some people have no choice but to have
BT and BT are continually looking for ways to exploit this fact to
their own advantage .
If ever a company needed to be taken back into public ownership
its BT , I have a friend who won't entertain a BT line in his home but
has thousands of pounds tied up in BT shares.

do.not.waste.your.time.emailing.me@this.address.it.is.invalid

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 23:49:02 +0100, AD C <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

[snip]

>It is hard to believe, but you are right. I went to the Madley Satellite
>station last year, as it is only a few miles from me. We had a look
>around and it is really amazing what is happening in there.
>
>My father worked on one of the huge old dishes, when they was building
>them. they are now not used much as smaller dishes will do a better job.

When did the laws of physics change? We should be told.

--
cerberus

AD C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> More like 9 a year for many lines .

Don't forget it is not just the lines, but I think with the amount of
people that are paying this line rental, BT must be raking it in now.
Easy money, just like sky charging almost 10 a month to record using
their Sky+ box.

T.

Ian wrote:
>>Save money? I'm looking to not have to pay out more than I'm currently
>>doing. If it then saves money, then that's great, a bonus if you like.
>>
>>Where is the business benefit for me? Seeing how this thread is going,
>>I'm thinking none.
>>

> As a business you should be aware that to provide a level of service you
> will have to make capital purchases and ongoing charges such as phone calls,
> These are offset against you Tax and Vat. Therefore saving money is not
> realy that important.

For me, purchases must be anticipated to be eventually revenue/profit
generating. I don't make business purchases just because I can offset it
against a tax bill. That's bullshit economics to me.

>>>Why ?

>>To play with it, understand it, learn more, and so on. Maybe I can even
>>find somesort of setup which is then actually useful, to me.
>>

> Then the questions now why AAH, Why not Asterisk its self. You will learn
> far more and have a better understanding of the workings, And be able to
> upgrade to later releases

I never thought of that. AAH just sounded like a quick get up and go. My
idea was to have VoIPBuster/Cheap and the "free" incoming lines all
centralised, so whatever I dial will automatically be routed over
whichever. Especially neat as ATAs have limits on how many lines can be
configured?

> Now to some domestic users thats a lot, but to business it is 1 line in use
> about 2 hours or so a day which is low. you cannot expect to make much
> savings on what you already have. What you can do is provide a better
> service though by putting out a unified CLI to people you call, Diverting
> incoming callers to you mobile seamlessly giving location independant
> working etc.

That sounds like a good idea. I've signed up to VoIPfone now and trying
to sign-up to Gradwell as well. Need to give it more of a go I think.
Maybe I can find useful uses that either make life easier or have
business benefits.

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:04:21 +0100, "T." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I don't make business purchases just because I can offset it
>against a tax bill. That's bullshit economics to me.

as long as tax rates are below 100% its not worth spending money to
save tax

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

T.

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:04:21 +0100, "T." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I don't make business purchases just because I can offset it
>>against a tax bill. That's bullshit economics to me.

> as long as tax rates are below 100% its not worth spending money to
> save tax

Excellent - I find more and more people on the same wavelength as me.
That's very refreshing

Cheers, T.

themgt

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> By Broadband I presume you mean ADSL down a BT line ! where you to go
> over to TW broadband you could sling your BT line for starters which
> would be a saving of at least 10.40 a month.

Just wondering. If you're a Telewest customer and don't have a BT line
how is it that you're posting from a Freedom2surf account ?