Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cost benefit of VoIP

Cost benefit of VoIP

T.

>>It'd be danegerous. Think power-cut.

> Once in a blue moon in the UK these days and a poor excuse for
> avoiding VOIP anyway with any of the modern cordless phones
> you need power and a fixed phone is a step backwards in my
> opinion.

Who said anything about avoiding VoIP?

I'm saying I'd avoid getting rid of a normal traditional landline.

Andrew Hodgson

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:35:39 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:27:36 +0100, "T." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> By Broadband I presume you mean ADSL down a BT line ! where you to go
>>> over to TW broadband you could sling your BT line for starters which
>>> would be a saving of at least 10.40 a month.
>>>

>>Yes, ADSL.
>>
>>I don't trust VoIP enough to ditch my landline. It's also used for
>>incoming fax.
>>
>>Say there was an emergency and I need to dial 999? And please don't say
>>use mobiles.

>Vonage

The conditions specificly state that it should not be used as a
substitute where 999 is concerned due to the powercut/no Internet
issue, and also because you would have to speak to the operator in
order to get location details.

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Andrew Hodgson

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:15:45 +0100, "T." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I hope this post doesn't cause rage. I'm seriously just after a good
>discussion.

Yes I think it is a good post.

>I currently use VoIP. Lots of various service providers here and there
>just to check it out. It's pretty much a toy for me - I don't rely on it
>anywhere - But I still need to get involved with it a bit to understand
>it, just in case, it ever comes up with other people I work with.
>
>VoIP is a service, and as with most services, there's a cost involved.
>The thing is, I can't find/see VoIP as having any cost benefits. It's
>certainly great from a tech. point-of-view. Example, be anywhere in the
>world with laptop and WiFi hotspot to make/receive calls on a normal UK
>number, or whatever. I guess that example has a cost benefit in itself
>(no international roaming charges or changing numbers all the time with
>customers etc.).

Yes.

>But, say, for me at my home office in the UK with broadband, I don't
>really save any money. I'm thinking about out going calls here

I think it depends on the volume of the calls. I have seen several
reviews and people post in this newsgroup saying that they have saved
money on their business where most of the calls have been in the
daytime, and they use something like Vonage on a business rate tariff,
or Sipgate to give them cheaper calls in the day then BT could give
them.

[...]

>I'd really like to know why VoIP then? And more importantly, which
>providers? 'cos clearly all the ones I've tried so far (main/well known
>ones) are either more expensive or, if cheaper, just unreliable.

I think you need to work out what you want from the system (i.e, a new
incoming number, cheaper rates than BT in the daytime, a new office
system that doesn't have several sets of wires for ethernet and the
phone system etc). I think you are correct in saying that there are
not many benefits of the Vonage/Sipgate sort of deals for someone who
is on their own, and makes most of their calls through cheap means.
This is originally why I didn't go with anyone for a long time,
because I just didn't see the point. Now that we were seriously
thinking about getting a new line, I can see the point more than I
previously could. We are with Vonage currently, but may change to
another system if this one doesn't suit us, and even if we don't go
with them, I am glad to have had the experience.

None of the services are necessarily bad, I just think they are
targeted at specific people/purposes, and if you don't meet those
criteria, then I don't think there is much point.

Ian wrote:

>>E.g. 1899 service gives me cheaper calls out + combine that with the
>>many others like that. Routing is easily achieved and hassle-free with a
>>15 dialer box or even Asterix.
>>

> Cost is not every thing. But think about the need for more than one line or
> having to seem to a customer that you are based nearby.

Correct. Value for money is everything. I can see your point about the
more than one line thing, or "local" numbers. For me though, that
doesn't apply (apart from the SkypeIn number that I have). If it did
though, I think that kind of service is currently available at a value
for money price (e.g. SkypeIn, Gizmo SIP phone service, voipfone, etc.)

Like I said, in my OP, I'm talking mainly about cost of outgoing calls.

>>I'd really like to know why VoIP then? And more importantly, which
>>providers? 'cos clearly all the ones I've tried so far (main/well known
>>ones) are either more expensive or, if cheaper, just unreliable.
>>

> I think you need to workout what you are looking for. If its just cheap
> calls then you are looking in the wrong place. Voip is just another trnsport
> meduim for voice calls.

I think that answers my question then.

Incoming: VoIP is worth it.
Outgoing: don't bother.

>>Others, on-off. Either just sign-up for short while (month) or free
>>trial online.

> Its seems that cost is you prime concern, then that being so you will have
> to stick with the companies you have mentioned and accept that you dont get
> something for nothing in this world.

No. Value for money is my main concern. There are some services from the
above that I use which do actually give me something for nothing, but I
do agree that nothing is really like that, in that, they're not always
reliable.

>>So far only using softphones. Because I can't quite see the cost benefit
>>(yet), I haven't got an ATA.

> Thats a fair point as you are onlylooking to save money.

Save money? I'm looking to not have to pay out more than I'm currently
doing. If it then saves money, then that's great, a bonus if you like.

Where is the business benefit for me? Seeing how this thread is going,
I'm thinking none.

>>I do plan on setting up an Asterix@Home
>>server soon though.

> Why ?

To play with it, understand it, learn more, and so on. Maybe I can even
find somesort of setup which is then actually useful, to me.

> There is a problem at the moment where domestic customers for voip have
> listened to the benefits of voip for business use and assumed they are the
> same for them.
> This is not realy so. The savings dont realy scale down well. Remember a
> business will be using voip to call between offices and to remote workers at
> peak times and in large volumes, hence making a descent saving. You sitting
> in your home office making a few calls a day will take a very long time to
> make any savings at all.

Few calls a day? My current usage is about 70 hours a month. All to UK
domestic landline/mobile. I pay no more than 20/month for that
(collective across services), which also includes mobile email over
GPRS. I don't use the BT landline (which runs the broadband) for calls,
just outgoing faxes for once in a blue moon.

Ian

> Save money? I'm looking to not have to pay out more than I'm currently
> doing. If it then saves money, then that's great, a bonus if you like.
>
> Where is the business benefit for me? Seeing how this thread is going,
> I'm thinking none.

As a business you should be aware that to provide a level of service you
will have to make capital purchases and ongoing charges such as phone calls,
These are offset against you Tax and Vat. Therefore saving money is not
realy that important.

> >>I do plan on setting up an Asterix@Home
> >>server soon though.

> > Why ?

> To play with it, understand it, learn more, and so on. Maybe I can even
> find somesort of setup which is then actually useful, to me.

Then the questions now why AAH, Why not Asterisk its self. You will learn
far more and have a better understanding of the workings, And be able to
upgrade to later releases
> > There is a problem at the moment where domestic customers for voip have
> > listened to the benefits of voip for business use and assumed they are

the
> > same for them.
> > This is not realy so. The savings dont realy scale down well. Remember a
> > business will be using voip to call between offices and to remote

workers at
> > peak times and in large volumes, hence making a descent saving. You

sitting
> > in your home office making a few calls a day will take a very long time

> > make any savings at all.
> >

> Few calls a day? My current usage is about 70 hours a month. All to UK
> domestic landline/mobile. I pay no more than 20/month for that
> (collective across services), which also includes mobile email over
> GPRS. I don't use the BT landline (which runs the broadband) for calls,
> just outgoing faxes for once in a blue moon.

Now to some domestic users thats a lot, but to business it is 1 line in use
about 2 hours or so a day which is low. you cannot expect to make much
savings on what you already have. What you can do is provide a better
service though by putting out a unified CLI to people you call, Diverting
incoming callers to you mobile seamlessly giving location independant
working etc.

Ian

AD C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid
says...

> > Is the fax to email number expensive for the sender?

> The free (for the recipient) ones are usually 0870 numbers, mine is. I
> don't normally agree with them but it does drastically cut down on the
> junk faxes..! You can get geo numbers at a price though.

Maybe so, but it isno good if you run a business.

AD C

In article <431f4742$0$323$(E-Mail Removed)>, nntp-DOT-
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Who said anything about avoiding VoIP?
>
> I'm saying I'd avoid getting rid of a normal traditional landline.

It is not so much that I would like to get rid of my line, I would just
love to get rid of the line rental, but I know that will never happen.

Ivor Jones

"AD C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> > >
> > > Is the fax to email number expensive for the sender?

> > The free (for the recipient) ones are usually 0870
> > numbers, mine is. I don't normally agree with them but
> > it does drastically cut down on the junk faxes..! You
> > can get geo numbers at a price though.
> >

> Maybe so, but it isno good if you run a business.

Possibly, but in that case you can usually offset costs against tax, so a
geo number would be affordable.

Ivor

Paul Cupis

AD C wrote:
> In article <431f4742$0$323$(E-Mail Removed)>, nntp-DOT-
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>Who said anything about avoiding VoIP?
>>
>>I'm saying I'd avoid getting rid of a normal traditional landline.

> It is not so much that I would like to get rid of my line, I would just
> love to get rid of the line rental, but I know that will never happen.

Well no, because then you'd be getting a service for free.

T.

Ivor Jones wrote:

>>Maybe so, but it isno good if you run a business.

> Possibly, but in that case you can usually offset costs against tax, so a
> geo number would be affordable.

A tax rebate is the only reason to buy something else.