Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate, not delivering a relaible service here....

Reply
Thread Tools

Sipgate, not delivering a relaible service here....

 
 
Sass
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005
Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I have to say that my
personal experience of the service is not a good one. It's been plagued
with lost calls, both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
silent calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there at the
other end, but after I logged into their website, the calls turned out to be
my sister trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three were
silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail too
much, it continues to talk to me in German/English/Male/Female all at the
same time : (

Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are they just not able
to? Does anyone know if I can claim my credit back from them, as I am
wanting to move to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I looked.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mr T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005
"Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I have to say that my
> personal experience of the service is not a good one. It's been plagued
> with lost calls, both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
> silent calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there at the
> other end, but after I logged into their website, the calls turned out to
> be my sister trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three were
> silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail too
> much, it continues to talk to me in German/English/Male/Female all at the
> same time : (
>
> Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are they just not
> able to? Does anyone know if I can claim my credit back from them, as I
> am wanting to move to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
> service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I looked.
>


get out befor eit goes tits up, or maybe eyevor jones could help you as he
is associated directly with the company as eyevor himself has freely
admitted.

--


--
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."










 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005


"Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I
> have to say that my personal experience of the service is
> not a good one. It's been plagued with lost calls, both
> outgoing and incoming and last night I had three silent
> calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there
> at the other end, but after I logged into their website,
> the calls turned out to be my sister trying to call me. Three calls she
> made, and all three were silent both
> ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail
> too much, it continues to talk to me in
> German/English/Male/Female all at the same time : (
> Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are
> they just not able to? Does anyone know if I can claim
> my credit back from them, as I am wanting to move to
> another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
> service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I
> looked.


Can you give more details of the equipment used at both ends..? Were the
calls Sipgate to Sipgate or were the incoming calls from the PSTN..? Are
you or the other person using softphones (PC's) or hardware, i.e. IP
phones or ATA's with landline phones plugged in..?

Lack of audio and one-way audio are more often than not the reault of
misconfiguration, particularly port forwarding. I had this problem when I
first started until I figured out that my router was not compatible. After
I changed it I had no major problems at all.

I agree about the voicemail, but despite its language difficulties it does
work, in that it saves messages if you're offline or can't get to the
phone.

Please let me know if you want to do any direct tests, I may be able to
help once I know the hardware/software situation.

Ivor

(PS take no notice of Stefan)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:34 +0100, "Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com>
wrote:

>Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I have to say that my
>personal experience of the service is not a good one. It's been plagued
>with lost calls, both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
>silent calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there at the
>other end, but after I logged into their website, the calls turned out to be
>my sister trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three were
>silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail too
>much, it continues to talk to me in German/English/Male/Female all at the
>same time : (
>
>Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are they just not able
>to? Does anyone know if I can claim my credit back from them, as I am
>wanting to move to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
>service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I looked.
>

Your experience is not unusual. If you look among the postings on this
group you would be pressed to find a good word about Sipgate other
than their free geographic numbers. However, if they don't work a lot
of the time what use are they.
I spent a great deal of time trying to get my ATA going with Sipgate -
it really wasn't worth it.
I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it worked
straight away. They have a good reputation for reliability on this
group. They have a good voice mail system, call waiting and caller
display as standard.
You can choose to have a geographic number for 2/month.
However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then that can be
dialled for the same cost as a standard geographic number on 18866 -
most of my friends have that so no problem.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005
eyevor will be asking for details as he works fro sipgate

--


--
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."










 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005


"Mr T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S4eTe.3372$(E-Mail Removed)
> eyevor will be asking for details as he works fro sipgate


I'm trying to help, why don't you do something positive for a change,
Stefan..?

Ivor (note the Capital I at the start)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005


"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:34 +0100, "Sass"
> <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote:
>
> > Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I
> > have to say that my personal experience of the service
> > is not a good one. It's been plagued with lost calls,
> > both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
> > silent calls close together, which appeared to have
> > no-one there at the other end, but after I logged into
> > their website, the calls turned out to be my sister
> > trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three
> > were silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention
> > that crazy voicemail too much, it continues to talk to
> > me in German/English/Male/Female all at the same time :
> > (
> >
> > Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or
> > are they just not able to? Does anyone know if I can
> > claim my credit back from them, as I am wanting to move
> > to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
> > service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time
> > I looked.
> >

> Your experience is not unusual. If you look among the
> postings on this group you would be pressed to find a
> good word about Sipgate other than their free geographic
> numbers. However, if they don't work a lot of the time
> what use are they.


They work 99% of the time for me. Stefan and Dex will have you believe
it's because I have a connection with them or even work for them (I don't)
but even if I did, do they supply a separate working network for just a
few people..?!

> I spent a great deal of time trying to get my ATA going
> with Sipgate - it really wasn't worth it.


I'd be interested to know what problems. Most issues are down to
misconfiguration. I had almighty problems with Sipgate when I first
started, it took me weeks to find out it was my router that was
incompatible, after I replaced it I had no major problems at all, that was
a year ago. Yes, Sipgate have had more than their fair share of troubles
with outages, etc (several of which were caused by problems elsewhere in
the network, not within Sipgate) but other systems aren't faultless
either, despite what Stefan says about Vonage..!

> I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
> I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it
> worked straight away. They have a good reputation for
> reliability on this group. They have a good voice mail
> system, call waiting and caller display as standard.
> You can choose to have a geographic number for 2/month.
> However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then
> that can be dialled for the same cost as a standard
> geographic number on 18866 - most of my friends have that
> so no problem.


A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers. Are
these 0506 numbers charged at the same rate as a normal landline number
from BT or Telewest *without* using any callthrough service..?

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sass
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005

"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers.


> Ivor


I'm not too keen on the poor service from Sipgate either : (



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anon Y Mous
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005
Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>>On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:34 +0100, "Sass"
>><sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I
>>>have to say that my personal experience of the service
>>>is not a good one. It's been plagued with lost calls,
>>>both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
>>>silent calls close together, which appeared to have
>>>no-one there at the other end, but after I logged into
>>>their website, the calls turned out to be my sister
>>>trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three
>>>were silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention
>>>that crazy voicemail too much, it continues to talk to
>>>me in German/English/Male/Female all at the same time :
>>>(
>>>
>>>Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or
>>>are they just not able to? Does anyone know if I can
>>>claim my credit back from them, as I am wanting to move
>>>to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
>>>service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time
>>>I looked.
>>>

>>
>>Your experience is not unusual. If you look among the
>>postings on this group you would be pressed to find a
>>good word about Sipgate other than their free geographic
>>numbers. However, if they don't work a lot of the time
>>what use are they.

>
>
> They work 99% of the time for me. Stefan and Dex will have you believe
> it's because I have a connection with them or even work for them (I don't)
> but even if I did, do they supply a separate working network for just a
> few people..?!
>
>
>>I spent a great deal of time trying to get my ATA going
>>with Sipgate - it really wasn't worth it.

>
>
> I'd be interested to know what problems. Most issues are down to
> misconfiguration. I had almighty problems with Sipgate when I first
> started, it took me weeks to find out it was my router that was
> incompatible, after I replaced it I had no major problems at all, that was
> a year ago. Yes, Sipgate have had more than their fair share of troubles
> with outages, etc (several of which were caused by problems elsewhere in
> the network, not within Sipgate) but other systems aren't faultless
> either, despite what Stefan says about Vonage..!
>
>
>>I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
>>I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it
>>worked straight away. They have a good reputation for
>>reliability on this group. They have a good voice mail
>>system, call waiting and caller display as standard.
>>You can choose to have a geographic number for 2/month.
>>However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then
>>that can be dialled for the same cost as a standard
>>geographic number on 18866 - most of my friends have that
>>so no problem.

>
>
> A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers. Are
> these 0506 numbers charged at the same rate as a normal landline number
> from BT or Telewest *without* using any callthrough service..?
>
> Ivor
>
>

From BT yes, I'm not sure about the others
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anon Y Mous
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2005
Ivor Jones wrote:

> Ivor (note the Capital I at the start)


I was wondering how long it would take before you reacted! Surely the
best way to deal with someone like that is to ignore them
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tom's Hardware says SSDs are relaible... but! ~misfit~ NZ Computing 4 08-06-2011 11:38 PM
ASP.NET not delivering HTML MattC ASP .Net 3 06-21-2005 08:40 AM
Delivering of aspx pages fails John ASP .Net 0 01-06-2005 07:37 PM
New free tool for delivering SCORM courses Albert Ip XML 0 07-10-2004 03:47 AM
Help delivering pdf to user Wendy S Java 1 12-08-2003 05:56 PM



Advertisments