Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Equipment that Vonage provides

Equipment that Vonage provides

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 10:50:57 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anyone know whether the equipment Vonage provides is an ADSL
>router or just an ATA? If the former, does it allow you to do such
>things as disable NAT and configure static routes for usable IP
>address ranges?

Don't know about what Vonage provides but the Vonage enabled router
which you buy from Staples 29.99 is a standared Linksys 3 port
router with two phone ports which will do what you are suggesting
above .

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:47:17 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does this have an ADSL modem built-in?

No
> If not then can I configure
>another device to use the Vonage CIP server?

No with you here .
> If so, is it just a
>matter of putting in the username/password, and the server name?

Our's is connected to the net via our network and router and I think I
am correct in saying you do not have a username ect for Vonage you
just plug a phone into a phone port and all should be well .
The user name plus password is only for getting into your account on
the web page .

Hope this has helped providing I have understood you correctly .

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:45:09 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Did you mean that they don't use CIP?

I am not into technical terms what do you mean by CIP Andrew .
>Do you have any form of QOS (so that if necessary the router will
>allocate less bandwidth to the PCs if a phonecall is taking place to
>avoid causing dropouts etc?

PROVIDING the equipment is between the cable or ADSL modem
then yes ours isn't but do not have problems , we have a 2Mb adsl
connection a download was taking place last night and coming down at
over 200 a second and I made a call and there was no difference in
quality. On the other hand I know from experience had I made the call
via my Voiphone account there would have been a noticeable difference
but nowhere near has bad has when I had the Sipgate accounts we just
had to pause downloads when using Sipgate or wait until downloads had
finished .

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:05:51 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sorry my mistake - should have said Sip. Meaning if I buy an unlocked
>router like the Draytek 2600, can I configure it to use Vonage using
>the SIP settings in the router?

I do not think you can use an ordinary router direct with Vonage they
do not supply any settings at all you must use either the adapter they
send to you or you buy the one I told you about which you then just
connect it to your Drytek via a network port . The Linksys is
configured for Vonage all you have to do is put in your network
details .

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:27:37 GMT, Thomas Rankin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, this is confusing, it's in their terms and conditions that you are
>not allowed to use the service with a router that isn't provided by them.

Well Thomas as far has I know there are no routers available in the UK
that you can use with Vonage accounts other than the Linksys RT31P2
which is pr configured and locked to Vonage available from Staples.
BUT these is nothing to stop anyone linking this up to another router
or even another 20 routers if you wish which is/are connected to a
modem and out onto the net in that fashion .

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:01:04 GMT, Thomas Rankin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was merely pointing out that what the poster was asking was a breach
>of their TOS.

But there just isn't anyway that you can get a Vonage connection
unless you use Vonage approved equipment. If you use the Linksys from
Staples you have to give the serial number of the router on the
registration page and I would think the PAP2 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk
will be exactly the same . I would not buy the locked PAP because if
you ever deecided to leave Vonage you are left with a piece of junk on
your hands with the Linksys router you still have a very usable 3 port
router and all for an extra nine pounds .

Andrew Hodgson

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether the equipment Vonage provides is an ADSL
router or just an ATA? If the former, does it allow you to do such
things as disable NAT and configure static routes for usable IP
address ranges?

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Andrew Hodgson

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:05:15 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 10:50:57 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know whether the equipment Vonage provides is an ADSL
>>router or just an ATA? If the former, does it allow you to do such
>>things as disable NAT and configure static routes for usable IP
>>address ranges?

>Don't know about what Vonage provides but the Vonage enabled router
>which you buy from Staples 29.99 is a standared Linksys 3 port
>router with two phone ports which will do what you are suggesting
>above .

Does this have an ADSL modem built-in? If not then can I configure
another device to use the Vonage CIP server? If so, is it just a