Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > BBC: Microsoft plans telephone service

Reply
Thread Tools

BBC: Microsoft plans telephone service

 
 
John Blessing
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2005
"AD C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
> says...
>
>
>> My thoughts exactly. I like a well designed and colourful website as
>> much
>> as anyone, but fancy graphics have no place in mail or newsgroups.
>>

> In your opinion, but things are changing, graphics in email is becoming
> the norm, you either get used to it or just have software that makes
> email unreadable up email when you get it. My bank even sends me emails
> with graphics in, Littlewoods does the same thing, ebuyer, Ukdvd, in
> fact almost every email you get from companies will have graphics in.
>
>
> Newsgroups, I do agree with you,



By accepting emails in html, you open yourself up to phishing attacks. I
recently received an email purporting to be from ebay with links to an ebay
site where I could log in. Now, I read all my emails in plain text and it
was blatantly obvious that the links went to a free website provider and
definitely not an ebay domain. Switch to viewing in html and all the links
looked like ebay.

Your choice, your money, your risk.

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software priced to suit all
businesses
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment bookings
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AD C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid
says...
>
> Most *reputable* companies give you the option to have plain text emails
> only when you sign up on their websites, but I can strip it out if I am


Very few now.


> forced to. The problem with anything other than plain text is the
> possibility of something nasty being transmitted along with the message.
> The days of malicious material only being dangerous if an attachment is
> opened are long gone.



This is a problem, I must admit. But if we stopped doing things, because
it may be harmful, we would do nothing.

Still it is peoples choices, you like plain email, I don't mind which
way./ which is strange, because a couple of years ago, I would not let
any Html mail get onto my computer. Maybe I am getting older and think
why should I spend time and energy on this, if some one wants to hack
into my computer, then they are going to do it.

I got a virus checker, a firewall, plus the router and it's firewall. I
use anti adware software once a week. If anyone gets past that lot, then
well done to them.
I have got none of my emails on my main drive anyway, in fact the only
things that are stored on my main drive is software and that is all
backed up with Ghost.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
themgt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2005
AD C wrote:
<snip>
> In your opinion, but things are changing, graphics in email is becoming
> the norm, you either get used to it or just have software that makes
> email unreadable up email when you get it. My bank even sends me emails
> with graphics in,


I'm surprised that your bank still sends html email given the security
concerns. Which bank is this anyway ?

> Littlewoods does the same thing, ebuyer, Ukdvd, in
> fact almost every email you get from companies will have graphics in.


Usually it's the advertising crap that's sent as html which is handy for
filtering it straight into the trash. Invoices, dispatch notifications
and the like are sent as text.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AD C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2005
In article <9unUe.8980$(E-Mail Removed)>,
jb@**REMOVE**THIS**Lbesoftware.com says...
> >
> > Newsgroups, I do agree with you,

>
>
> By accepting emails in html, you open yourself up to phishing attacks. I
> recently received an email purporting to be from ebay with links to an ebay
> site where I could log in. Now, I read all my emails in plain text and it
> was blatantly obvious that the links went to a free website provider and
> definitely not an ebay domain. Switch to viewing in html and all the links
> looked like ebay.


Then you should be more careful., I always check links. I also would not
click on a link from an email to log onto a website.

I had an email on my Yahoo account, saying it was from my bank, to be
honest I had two,one from the Nationwide and one from my own bank.
Both was false, I knew the Nationwide was false, because I have never
had anything to do with this company.

The other email, I knew that was false, because I would not have given
my bank my yahoo account. I always use my own domain.

People get caught out by phishing attacks, because they do not look.


>
> Your choice, your money, your risk.
>
>

That is right, but I do not see many risks, unless you just click on
links without looking. Most people who have problems, do so because , to
put it very bluntly, they are thick.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AD C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2005
In article <iBoUe.105797$(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
>


> I'm surprised that your bank still sends html email given the security
> concerns. Which bank is this anyway ?


Most banks do, a mate of mine is with HSBC and they do the same thing. I
am with the Halifax.

>
> > Littlewoods does the same thing, ebuyer, Ukdvd, in
> > fact almost every email you get from companies will have graphics in.

>
> Usually it's the advertising crap that's sent as html which is handy for
> filtering it straight into the trash. Invoices, dispatch notifications
> and the like are sent as text.
>


The only advertising I do get are the ones I have asked for. Like latest
offers from Ebuyer or latest offers from UKDVDR. I like to be kept
informed about products and prices.


Yes, invoices are sent as text most of the time.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon Farmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2005
Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Jon Farmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:431f0d88.0@entanet
>
> Your post was empty but had an attachment, which my system deleted. Please
> repost in plain text.


I did post in plain text and I also had a plain text attachment which
was a PGP signature. Your client obviously dislikes standards.


Regards

Jon

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDJZhMotYBUf9JkEARAu1/AJ45bwyhLx2yq+C+USoyW7wcR8FYCQCggOFv
vbPpTuO6T8la/d5o6Hi0Ucw=
=5hz9
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2005
In article <iBoUe.105797$(E-Mail Removed) >,
themgt <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> AD C wrote:
> <snip>
>> In your opinion, but things are changing, graphics in email is becoming
>> the norm, you either get used to it or just have software that makes
>> email unreadable up email when you get it. My bank even sends me emails
>> with graphics in,

>
> I'm surprised that your bank still sends html email given the security
> concerns. Which bank is this anyway ?
>
>> Littlewoods does the same thing, ebuyer, Ukdvd, in
>> fact almost every email you get from companies will have graphics in.

>
> Usually it's the advertising crap that's sent as html which is handy for
> filtering it straight into the trash. Invoices, dispatch notifications
> and the like are sent as text.


I have all my incoming email presented as text. If it is sent as HTML then a
text rendering of it (using lynx) automatically swings in. It means I can
still read mail from people who have something sensible to say, are
able to express themselves by the use of words alone, but don't know
how to configure their mailers.

Once it has cut all the crap out to leave the bare text, it very
quickly becomes obvious which correspondents have nothing to say, and are
attempting to distract the recipient from noticing that by their use of
pointless ornamentation. The advertising emails which "themgt" mentions
typically fall into this category and so are quickly dealt with.

I only wish a similar tool were available for phone calls too.

--
Tim Clark
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
AD C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> Just because they got a bit of color? Oh dear, you are a boring
> fart.


I'm colourblind. Most attempts to "brigten up" something with a bit of
colour merely renders it unreadable. Way to go.

As it happens, my software colour-highlights text (configured to use
colours I have no problem seeing, of course) so I can find what's
worth reading in a post rather than page upon page of rambling
untrimmed quoted material.

But if you'd rather replace useful colour with pointless colour go
ahead. Just not in my mailbox, please.

[...]
> Now if the second person stuck their email address all over the
> place, then the whole thing could be spammed, because the Freeserve
> address would accept anything before the fist point. I know you can
> use filters, but it is a pain.


Actually, you can pop individual mailboxes with Freeserve, so you
don't need to do any local filtering at all.

Log in with "(E-Mail Removed)" instead of
"domain.freeserve.co.uk" and it'll work exactly as you would expect.
There's some fancier syntax available too that allows you to, say,
pick up mail for all localparts *except* the ones getting spammed.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger (E-Mail Removed) for full key
/:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ad C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
In article <43283d75$0$25464$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> I'm colourblind. Most attempts to "brigten up" something with a bit of
> colour merely renders it unreadable. Way to go.


I am also colour blind, which is why a mate of mine asks me to have a
look at his website before he publishes it, to make sure I can see read
the text ok. Not all people that are colour bline see the same colours,
but at least he got some idea what we can and can nto see.

>
> As it happens, my software colour-highlights text (configured to use
> colours I have no problem seeing, of course) so I can find what's
> worth reading in a post rather than page upon page of rambling
> untrimmed quoted material.


Usenet, I just use plain text, I do not bother with hightlighting.


>
> But if you'd rather replace useful colour with pointless colour go
> ahead. Just not in my mailbox, please.


since I do not send you email, it would not be in your mail box and as I
said before, I only send it to people I know and who do not mind.
Most people I send it to got the same email client as me anyway.
>
> Actually, you can pop individual mailboxes with Freeserve, so you
> don't need to do any local filtering at all.


They must have changed then, not that I would touch Freeserve with a
barge pole.


>
> Log in with "(E-Mail Removed)" instead of
> "domain.freeserve.co.uk" and it'll work exactly as you would expect.
> There's some fancier syntax available too that allows you to, say,
> pick up mail for all localparts *except* the ones getting spammed.
>



They hagve changed then, but it have been a few years since I used
Freeserve.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test plans and "refined test plans" DZantow Python 0 12-20-2011 06:24 PM
Re: [03 geographic range] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering Solario UK VOIP 0 07-27-2006 06:00 PM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com Cisco 1 11-13-2005 09:23 AM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com Computer Support 0 11-12-2005 06:22 AM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com VOIP 0 11-12-2005 06:22 AM



Advertisments