Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Blueyonder (Telewest) ATAs, Netgear WGR614

Blueyonder (Telewest) ATAs, Netgear WGR614

Brian A

I have a Netgear WGR614 router. I can see no reference anywhere that
this has QoS.
I am new to this so please bear with me....
I have been looking at the Grandstream 496 (like the 486 afaik but
with 2 phone outputs) and the Sipura 2002 (again, like the 2000 afaik
but with 2 phone outputs.)
Now this is the bit I am not so sure of.
It seems to me that you can connect the Sipura to the output of the
router but I am not so sure how well the WGR614 will work with it.
It seems that the Grandstream is different in that you can connect it
directly to the cable modem and then take an output from it to the
router - thereby having no compatibility problems with the router.
The Sipura seems to have a better specification but may have
compatibility problems.
Are my assumptions correct?
Any other comments or recommendations?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Ivor Jones

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I have a Netgear WGR614 router. I can see no reference
> anywhere that this has QoS.
> I am new to this so please bear with me....
> I have been looking at the Grandstream 496 (like the 486
> afaik but with 2 phone outputs) and the Sipura 2002
> (again, like the 2000 afaik but with 2 phone outputs.)
> Now this is the bit I am not so sure of.
> It seems to me that you can connect the Sipura to the
> output of the router but I am not so sure how well the
> WGR614 will work with it. It seems that the Grandstream
> is different in that you can connect it directly to the
> cable modem and then take an output from it to the router
> - thereby having no compatibility problems with the
> router. The Sipura seems to have a better specification
> but may have compatibility problems.
> Are my assumptions correct?
> Any other comments or recommendations?
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

I don't know the Grandstream so can't comment, but you should have no
problem with the Sipura behind a router. I have a Sipura 2000 behind mine
and it works fine, although my router is not the Netgear one so can't
comment there either. Incidentally the 2000 also has 2 phone ports, but I
believe the difference is the 2002 has a PSTN port whereas the 2000
doesn't, but I haven't checked this so I may be wrong about that.

As long as you forward all required ports (or set the DMZ of the router to
the ATA) then you should be fine.

Ivor

Dave Gill

Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It seems that the Grandstream is different in that you can connect it
> directly to the cable modem and then take an output from it to the
> router - thereby having no compatibility problems with the router.
> The Sipura seems to have a better specification but may have
> compatibility problems.

A Sipura 2100 will sit between a cable modem and a router/switch and has
a basic QoS function too.

Brian A

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:06:26 +0100,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Gill) wrote:

>Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It seems that the Grandstream is different in that you can connect it
>> directly to the cable modem and then take an output from it to the
>> router - thereby having no compatibility problems with the router.
>> The Sipura seems to have a better specification but may have
>> compatibility problems.

>A Sipura 2100 will sit between a cable modem and a router/switch and has
>a basic QoS function too.

On voip-info.org the 2100 was given the thumbs down because,
apparently unusually, the mic/spkr gain is not adjustable.
ref: http://tinyurl.com/9d857

Anymore comments on my original posting most welcome.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.