Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Hong Kong VOIP

Hong Kong VOIP

Johnathan Smith

Hi,

Is there anywhere I can sign up to get a Hong Kong local number or even
better anywhere I can make free calls to hong kong? I thought having an
advanced IP structure we'd be calling them free by now but seems not.

cheers
JS

Johnathan Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anywhere I can sign up to get a Hong Kong local number or even
> better anywhere I can make free calls to hong kong? I thought having an
> advanced IP structure we'd be calling them free by now but seems not.
>
> cheers
> JS

You need an account with a HK based VoIP service provider
and make direct calls from here (jitter may be a problem on
slow links - but frankly I have not experienced it to such
advanced places as HK and US). Or get a VoIP service provider that
has peering arrangements with others that have bases in HK.

Chris Blunt

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:50:31 GMT, 7
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Johnathan Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anywhere I can sign up to get a Hong Kong local number or even
>> better anywhere I can make free calls to hong kong? I thought having an
>> advanced IP structure we'd be calling them free by now but seems not.
>>
>> cheers
>> JS

>You need an account with a HK based VoIP service provider
>and make direct calls from here (jitter may be a problem on
>slow links - but frankly I have not experienced it to such
>advanced places as HK and US). Or get a VoIP service provider that
>has peering arrangements with others that have bases in HK.

Are you aware of any such providers?

I've searched before for a VoIP provider in Hong Kong who can provide
me with a local number, but haven't been able to find one. Apparently
there's not much consumer interest in VoIP there yet.

Chris

Mark Adamson

"Johnathan Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AdjOe.93838$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi,
>
> Is there anywhere I can sign up to get a Hong Kong local number or even
> better anywhere I can make free calls to hong kong? I thought having an
> advanced IP structure we'd be calling them free by now but seems not.
>
> cheers
> JS

If it were just to call one or two people in HK, you could get them a UK
number and a Sipura adaptor or something like that

Mark