Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VoIPtalk's Summer Special - What's the catch?

VoIPtalk's Summer Special - What's the catch?

Mike Poloni

If you look on voiptalk's web site they have something called a speedtouch
1-port voip adaptor for around 15. The only catch I see is that you have to
buy 10 of call credit as well. Even if i didn't use their service then the
voip adaptor would still be cheap at 25.

I had a quick scour round the newsgroups and forums and have only found good
stuff about the voiptalk service. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is there a
catch? As far as i can see the item isn't locked down either.

?

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:14:53 +0100, "Mike Poloni" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If you look on voiptalk's web site they have something called a speedtouch
>1-port voip adaptor for around 15. The only catch I see is that you have to
>buy 10 of call credit as well. Even if i didn't use their service then the
>voip adaptor would still be cheap at 25.

It is a good deal but are speedtouch products any good I haven't seen
any remarks about them good or bad .

Mathew Curtis

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:14:53 +0100, "Mike Poloni" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >If you look on voiptalk's web site they have something called a speedtouch
> >1-port voip adaptor for around 15. The only catch I see is that you have to
> >buy 10 of call credit as well. Even if i didn't use their service then the
> >voip adaptor would still be cheap at 25.

> It is a good deal but are speedtouch products any good I haven't seen
> any remarks about them good or bad .

I think some of the speedtouch stuff has firewall issues i know a
couple of people that have had grief with them and as for the price
they are charging for them they must be locked to them or somthing or
may be they got a batch that fell off the back of a lorry who knows

Mat

Mathew Curtis

Mathew Curtis wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:14:53 +0100, "Mike Poloni" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >If you look on voiptalk's web site they have something called a speedtouch
> > >1-port voip adaptor for around 15. The only catch I see is that youhave to
> > >buy 10 of call credit as well. Even if i didn't use their service then the
> > >voip adaptor would still be cheap at 25.

> > It is a good deal but are speedtouch products any good I haven't seen
> > any remarks about them good or bad .

> I think some of the speedtouch stuff has firewall issues i know a
> couple of people that have had grief with them and as for the price
> they are charging for them they must be locked to them or somthing or
> may be they got a batch that fell off the back of a lorry who knows
>
> Mat

Ummm

The SpeedTouch 190 is not locked down to the VoIPtalk service and can
be used with any SIP-compatible service provider.

Mat

adamc

On 2005-08-18, Mike Poloni <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you look on voiptalk's web site they have something called a speedtouch
> 1-port voip adaptor for around 15. The only catch I see is that you have to
> buy 10 of call credit as well. Even if i didn't use their service then the
> voip adaptor would still be cheap at 25.
>
> I had a quick scour round the newsgroups and forums and have only found good
> stuff about the voiptalk service. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is there a
> catch? As far as i can see the item isn't locked down either.
>
> ?

I'm a newbie when it comes to VOIP and have used Skype a fair bit.
However, I'm looking to use Voip in the future and am interested in an
ATA. Does this thing work with most Modem/Routers? I already have a
router and am interested in adding a phone to a voip provider, but want
to be assured that this thing is pretty standard.

TIA
Adam
--
PGP key: 7111B833

Sean

adamc wrote:

> I'm a newbie when it comes to VOIP and have used Skype a fair bit.
> However, I'm looking to use Voip in the future and am interested in an
> ATA. Does this thing work with most Modem/Routers? I already have a
> router and am interested in adding a phone to a voip provider, but want
> to be assured that this thing is pretty standard.
>
> TIA
> Adam

It looks rather cheap and nasty to me..... But i don't wish to get into
any arguments.

I like the linksys PAP2 myself

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:10:27 +0100, Sean
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>adamc wrote:
>
>> I'm a newbie when it comes to VOIP and have used Skype a fair bit.
>> However, I'm looking to use Voip in the future and am interested in an
>> ATA. Does this thing work with most Modem/Routers? I already have a
>> router and am interested in adding a phone to a voip provider, but want
>> to be assured that this thing is pretty standard.
>>
>> TIA
>> Adam

>It looks rather cheap and nasty to me..... But i don't wish to get into
>any arguments.

Seeing that you have said it Sean I will admit I have a couple of
Speedtouch 330 adsl modems here that have never been used because I
also thought they looked cheap and nasty got them given to me very
pleased I did not buy them))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).

Me

I have the always used Speedtouch routers and recommended them to
others

Touch wood, none of them have ever locked up. Basically, I have never
had a problem with any of them - they have just worked.

My current one is the 716g which is an ADSL router modem with built in
wireless and a built in ATA with 2 ports.

Me

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:41:07 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:10:27 +0100, Sean
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>adamc wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a newbie when it comes to VOIP and have used Skype a fair bit.
>>> However, I'm looking to use Voip in the future and am interested in an
>>> ATA. Does this thing work with most Modem/Routers? I already have a
>>> router and am interested in adding a phone to a voip provider, but want
>>> to be assured that this thing is pretty standard.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Adam

>>It looks rather cheap and nasty to me..... But i don't wish to get into
>>any arguments.

>Seeing that you have said it Sean I will admit I have a couple of
>Speedtouch 330 adsl modems here that have never been used because I
>also thought they looked cheap and nasty got them given to me very
>pleased I did not buy them))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).

adamc

On 2005-08-18, Sean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> adamc wrote:
>
>> I'm a newbie when it comes to VOIP and have used Skype a fair bit.
>> However, I'm looking to use Voip in the future and am interested in an
>> ATA. Does this thing work with most Modem/Routers? I already have a
>> router and am interested in adding a phone to a voip provider, but want
>> to be assured that this thing is pretty standard.
>>
>> TIA
>> Adam

> It looks rather cheap and nasty to me..... But i don't wish to get into
> any arguments.
>
> I like the linksys PAP2 myself

Does this particular speedtouch work independently of any PC, and
connect independently, as long as a modem/router are on?

TIA
Adam

--
PGP key: 7111B833

Sean

adamc wrote:

>>I like the linksys PAP2 myself

> Does this particular speedtouch work independently of any PC, and
> connect independently, as long as a modem/router are on?
>
> TIA
> Adam

If you are talking to me, the linksys is nothing to do with speedtouch