Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Best for consistently good sound, VoipCheap or VoipBuster?

Best for consistently good sound, VoipCheap or VoipBuster?

Derrick Fawsitt

As the subject of the thread asks, which of the two, VoipCheap or
VoipBuster has the more consistently good sound? I am aware that they
may be almost the same programme but I have noticed differences, but at
different times and I have not been using them long enough to decide
which one is better that than the other.
I would appreciate some opinions on this please.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Martin²

I only use Voipbuster, but AFAIK Voipcheap is the same lot anyway. (Sipgate
for incoming calls)
Using softphone from my laptop with headset and via wifi the quality is
variable from call to call and destination, sometimes the breaks force you /
other party to repeat a sentence.
Not usually a problem unless you trying to pass on a long number...!
Using ordinary phone, plugged to either Draytek of Zyxel VoIP router with
QoS set up, the quality is always quite acceptable.
Regards,
Martin

Derrick Fawsitt

In message <43013422$0$1214$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Martin² <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I only use Voipbuster, but AFAIK Voipcheap is the same lot anyway. (Sipgate
>for incoming calls)
>Using softphone from my laptop with headset and via wifi the quality is
>variable from call to call and destination, sometimes the breaks force you /
>other party to repeat a sentence.
>Not usually a problem unless you trying to pass on a long number...!
>Using ordinary phone, plugged to either Draytek of Zyxel VoIP router with
>QoS set up, the quality is always quite acceptable.
>Regards,
>Martin

Thank you Martin, what you and our other friends in this newsgroup will
understand is that while I was one of the very first people to use Skype
and also to make telephone calls on early systems such as HotTelephone,
(remember it), since then experts like your good self are now making
calls on VOIP and are using technical terms like "QoS setup" which I am
afraid I don't understand. I do know about routers like Draytex and
others but someone needs to write a back to basics explanation of how to
set up one settings and what you set etc. I have probably explained the
above badly but if those here don't have the time perhaps you could
point me to a website where it is all explained in simple terms to start
with. I know "roughly" about Sipgate but don't understand how it would
benefit me. I have tried to look at some of these phone systems but as
far as I can see they charge for calls and the difference from
conventional calls is insignificant.
The above reveals my ignorance but also helps to show what I need to
know.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Al

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:17:35 +0100, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

>I know "roughly" about Sipgate but don't understand how it would
>benefit me. I have tried to look at some of these phone systems but as
>far as I can see they charge for calls and the difference from
>conventional calls is insignificant.

Sipgate gives you a free geographic number for taking incoming calls.
VoipCheap or VoipBuster provide you with free geographic calls within
the uk (and possibly some other countries). The difference in cost
from conventional calls can be significant!