Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > I had to do it sooner or later

I had to do it sooner or later

Mike Fletcher

I just knew that I would do this sooner or later.

I have a Sipgate number via an ATA connected as a fourth line on my Meridian
Compact, the other three lines are connected to PSTN, two BT, one cable.

I went to dial a friend of mine who is on Sipgate using his Sipgate number
which is 999XXXX, no prizes for guessing what happened next.

Yes you've guessed it, I pressed the wrong line button and was promptly
answered by a lady saying Emergency Services, how can we help you, or words
to that effect. After explaining that I had accidentally misdialled,
apologising and confirming my name she went away leaving me feeling a right
Charlie.

AFAIK Sipgate now seem to have stopped using numbers beginning with 999, but
why an earth did they choose to use the code to begin with and why were they
allowed to by OFCOM, or whoever. Surely they must have known that folk are
going to do exactly the same thing as I did, resulting in needlessly wasting
the time of the emergency services operators?

Mike

Ivor Jones

"Mike Fletcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:F_RKe.87166$(E-Mail Removed). uk
> I just knew that I would do this sooner or later.
>
> I have a Sipgate number via an ATA connected as a fourth
> line on my Meridian Compact, the other three lines are
> connected to PSTN, two BT, one cable.
> I went to dial a friend of mine who is on Sipgate using
> his Sipgate number which is 999XXXX, no prizes for
> guessing what happened next.
> Yes you've guessed it, I pressed the wrong line button
> and was promptly answered by a lady saying Emergency
> Services, how can we help you, or words to that effect.
> After explaining that I had accidentally misdialled,
> apologising and confirming my name she went away leaving
> me feeling a right Charlie.
> AFAIK Sipgate now seem to have stopped using numbers
> beginning with 999, but why an earth did they choose to
> use the code to begin with and why were they allowed to
> by OFCOM, or whoever. Surely they must have known that
> folk are going to do exactly the same thing as I did,
> resulting in needlessly wasting the time of the emergency
> services operators?

I did that once, for a number in Coventry. As (in the UK at least) VoIP
isn't required to be connectable to the 999/112 service, I don't think
they were actually doing anything wrong by using numbers starting 999 (so
I don't think Ofcom or whoever comes into it), but I agree it was somewhat
daft..!

Ivor

Peter Andrews

"Mike Fletcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F_RKe.87166$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>I just knew that I would do this sooner or later.
>
> I have a Sipgate number via an ATA connected as a fourth line on my
> Meridian Compact, the other three lines are connected to PSTN, two BT, one
> cable.
>
> I went to dial a friend of mine who is on Sipgate using his Sipgate number
> which is 999XXXX, no prizes for guessing what happened next.
>
> Yes you've guessed it, I pressed the wrong line button and was promptly
> answered by a lady saying Emergency Services, how can we help you, or
> words to that effect. After explaining that I had accidentally misdialled,
> apologising and confirming my name she went away leaving me feeling a
> right Charlie.
>
> AFAIK Sipgate now seem to have stopped using numbers beginning with 999,
> but why an earth did they choose to use the code to begin with and why
> were they allowed to by OFCOM, or whoever. Surely they must have known
> that folk are going to do exactly the same thing as I did, resulting in
> needlessly wasting the time of the emergency services operators?
>
> Mike

....and if done from a cable line costing the cable operator a couple of quid
for connecting to the emergency services IIRC.

Nick

"Peter Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tt4Le.654$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Fletcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:F_RKe.87166$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >I just knew that I would do this sooner or later.
> >
> > I have a Sipgate number via an ATA connected as a fourth line on my
> > Meridian Compact, the other three lines are connected to PSTN, two BT,

one
> > cable.
> >
> > I went to dial a friend of mine who is on Sipgate using his Sipgate

number
> > which is 999XXXX, no prizes for guessing what happened next.
> >
> > Yes you've guessed it, I pressed the wrong line button and was promptly
> > answered by a lady saying Emergency Services, how can we help you, or
> > words to that effect. After explaining that I had accidentally

misdialled,
> > apologising and confirming my name she went away leaving me feeling a
> > right Charlie.
> >
> > AFAIK Sipgate now seem to have stopped using numbers beginning with 999,
> > but why an earth did they choose to use the code to begin with and why
> > were they allowed to by OFCOM, or whoever. Surely they must have known
> > that folk are going to do exactly the same thing as I did, resulting in
> > needlessly wasting the time of the emergency services operators?
> >
> > Mike
> >

> ...and if done from a cable line costing the cable operator a couple of

quid
> for connecting to the emergency services IIRC.

That's interesting.

Andrew Hodgson

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:24:05 GMT, "Mike Fletcher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just knew that I would do this sooner or later.
>
>I have a Sipgate number via an ATA connected as a fourth line on my Meridian
>Compact, the other three lines are connected to PSTN, two BT, one cable.
>
>I went to dial a friend of mine who is on Sipgate using his Sipgate number
>which is 999XXXX, no prizes for guessing what happened next.
>
>Yes you've guessed it, I pressed the wrong line button and was promptly
>answered by a lady saying Emergency Services, how can we help you, or words
>to that effect. After explaining that I had accidentally misdialled,
>apologising and confirming my name she went away leaving me feeling a right
>Charlie.
>
>AFAIK Sipgate now seem to have stopped using numbers beginning with 999, but
>why an earth did they choose to use the code to begin with and why were they
>allowed to by OFCOM, or whoever. Surely they must have known that folk are
>going to do exactly the same thing as I did, resulting in needlessly wasting
>the time of the emergency services operators?

My 999 story is that I transfered a customer to 999 by using a Cisco
IP phone, using the address book, attempting to phone someone in the
company called Zoe, not realising that my button to go into the
address book hadn't worked, so just transfered them to 999.

Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Graham

"Andrew Hodgson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:24:05 GMT, "Mike Fletcher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I just knew that I would do this sooner or later.
> >
> >I have a Sipgate number via an ATA connected as a fourth line on my

Meridian
> >Compact, the other three lines are connected to PSTN, two BT, one cable.
> >
> >I went to dial a friend of mine who is on Sipgate using his Sipgate

number
> >which is 999XXXX, no prizes for guessing what happened next.
> >
> >Yes you've guessed it, I pressed the wrong line button and was promptly
> >answered by a lady saying Emergency Services, how can we help you, or

words
> >to that effect. After explaining that I had accidentally misdialled,
> >apologising and confirming my name she went away leaving me feeling a

right
> >Charlie.
> >
> >AFAIK Sipgate now seem to have stopped using numbers beginning with 999,

but
> >why an earth did they choose to use the code to begin with and why were

they
> >allowed to by OFCOM, or whoever. Surely they must have known that folk

are
> >going to do exactly the same thing as I did, resulting in needlessly

wasting
> >the time of the emergency services operators?

> My 999 story is that I transfered a customer to 999 by using a Cisco
> IP phone, using the address book, attempting to phone someone in the
> company called Zoe, not realising that my button to go into the
> address book hadn't worked, so just transfered them to 999.
>
> Andrew.

Pitmy Bowdes used to supply a special telephone to its customers for
ordering its goods or services.

It had a bank of permanently programmed one-touch keys intended for end to
end DTMF signalling. One of the frequently used keys had 999# programmed in
it, an accident waiting to happen I thought.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%