Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > ATAs and REN

ATAs and REN

Mark

Pardon my ignorance....

What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA? Are multiple FXS
ports (where provided) to allow support for multiple service providers
(one per port) or to support multiple phones on one service?

Or perhaps both depending on config??

TIA,

--
Mark

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Pardon my ignorance....
>
> What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA? Are multiple FXS

The SPA-3000 is noticably lower REN than my BT line. It struggles
to ring all the phones, whereas the BT line has no problem at all.
I am probably around a total REN of 4 though, maybe a little over.

There's a parameter "FXS Port Power Limit" which I've tried changing,
but it makes no difference I can detect. There's also a setting for
ring voltage, which I haven't tried changing yet (set to default 70V).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Phil Thompson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:10:53 +0100, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA?

I read in a manual that one of mine was REN=5

> Are multiple FXS
>ports (where provided) to allow support for multiple service providers
>(one per port) or to support multiple phones on one service?

the former. If you want 5 phones on one service you buy a stack of one
plug to 3 socket adapters or the like

>Or perhaps both depending on config??

possibly. Most two socket jobs run two accounts. There's a one
socket-two account device too.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Ivor Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pardon my ignorance....
>
> What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA? Are multiple FXS
> ports (where provided) to allow support for multiple service providers
> (one per port) or to support multiple phones on one service?

The Sipura range (SPA-2000 etc. are typically REN 3 per port, as opposed
to 4 on a BT line.

Re. multiple ports, each is configurable separately in most cases.

> Or perhaps both depending on config??

Not usually, although the Fritz!Box Fon from AVM can be configured to
allow phones connected to both ports to ring simultaneously if a call
comes in on any or all lines connected, including a fixed (analogue or
ISDN) line.

Ivor

Paul Westwell

Try changing the ring voltage to 90v.

"Andrew Gabriel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42dec6a4$0$38046$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Pardon my ignorance....
>>
>> What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA? Are multiple FXS

> The SPA-3000 is noticably lower REN than my BT line. It struggles
> to ring all the phones, whereas the BT line has no problem at all.
> I am probably around a total REN of 4 though, maybe a little over.
>
> There's a parameter "FXS Port Power Limit" which I've tried changing,
> but it makes no difference I can detect. There's also a setting for
> ring voltage, which I haven't tried changing yet (set to default 70V).
>
> --
> Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> The Sipura range (SPA-2000 etc. are typically REN 3 per port, as opposed
> to 4 on a BT line.

A BT line is a minimum of 4. Most BT lines will actually be
quite a bit higher, unless you are on a maximum length line
from the exchange.

(Fond memories of taking prototype telephone apparatus up
to Baynard House to get BT to tell us what REN number we
could stick on it...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ren & Stumpy - Seasons 1 & 2 coming in Oct.! Galley DVD Video 8 12-07-2009 08:16 AM
Ren and Stimpy DVD CivikMan DVD Video 2 01-12-2005 10:57 PM
Ren and Stimpy Set Cut? TB DVD Video 11 10-21-2004 09:39 PM
Ren & Stimpy? Aphelion DVD Video 18 06-22-2004 02:12 PM
Ren and Stimpy Time/Life release? Jordan Lund DVD Video 4 09-20-2003 03:28 PM

Advertisments